812 Ring Video | FerrariChat

812 Ring Video

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by dustman, Feb 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Not Ferrari factory and test drivers who arguably would have performed a little better. Sounds fantastic. Lot of lateral movement but suppose normal as 812 is a GT car.
    Long ways off the aventador ring record. Maybe different consumers.

Caeruleus11, tomc, MDEL and 3 others like this.
  2. luigisayshello

luigisayshello Karting

Jul 9, 2014
    ?? Good lap, low 7 btg lap for a gt car. What does the aventador has to do with this? Sport auto didn't even did a lap with the svj and much less with the S. And clientele is certainly different.
    Great lap as far as I can see and looked pretty fun, small controled movements of the back, solid braking, solid corner exit, stable enough to be safe but not so much you grow a mangina.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  3. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    You cannot compare factory times with magazines' efforts. At any rate, the Ring is just another track, not the beginning end the end of all things.

4. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

That's a pretty poor time, Ferrari need to up their chassis game when you consider the much cheaper AMG GT with "only" 639hp and did a 7:25.

5. Stevenb

Stevenb F1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steven
    When the manufacturer try their times they wait days or even weeks until the perfect conditions apply to get the fastest time possible. Magazine tests don’t wait it out. It looks like a more “realistic” time to me. Either way though, there is a reason ferrari don’t do the Nurburgring games...

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  6. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    A 360 GTC would do it much quicker than that with only about 470hp in race tune. Power is not the key issue but weight, aero and suspension tune are much more significant. The AMG GTR did 7.10 with ‘only’ 577 bhp. That year the AMG GT won the Nurburgring 24 hrs and everyone knows about Mercedes’ dominance in F1. We are not talking about people who don’t know how to tune a road or race car here. But a Ferrari V12 is a different animal, Ferrari don’t test or tune on the Nurburgring - you might imagine the same comparison around Fiorano would yield different results - and the same old issues about different day, different conditions do also apply. The GTR’s time is a blockbuster, no doubt. But what does it really mean for the 812? Not too much. Much more important is the way it did what is a very decent time for a heavy-ish, large-capacity V12.

Caeruleus11 and j09333 like this.
  7. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Thank you that's a very interesting video. The lap time on the video is 07.27 and like has been already said is pretty poor for factory standards. If the F12 B achieved at the Ring a reported unofficial time of 7:08 what we expect is the 812 to lower that by a visible margin.

8. Prancing12

Prancing12 Karting

May 8, 2005
    7.24 is factory drivers time, which is plausible for a car that doesn't rely on aerokits and weighs 1,750 kg.

I wouldn't call it poor, but much more realistic for such a Super GT car than other cars that were meant to be track focused cars, they used Corsa approved tires by Ferrari vs Cup 2 R found on AMG GTR and GT2 RS which won't last for very long and not available upon customers request. It was all about marketing to push customers to place an order and were told their cars were on standard Michelin PS Cup 2 tires :D

If you go to autotrader and have a look at how many AMG GT variants are available, you'd be shocked why they finally released the GTR version with an outstanding lap time at the ring. It's not moving that's for sure.

- GT2 RS on standard Cup 2 is slower than its rivals that also relies on a water tank to pump out 700hp (temporarily) which is ludicrous for a 911 that costs over $290k that needs a refill every 15 - 20 minutes if driven hard.

When they used Cup 2 R tires on 488 Pista, it destroyed the competition at Magny-Cours Club, sounds fair enough ? :)

9. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Fwiw I don’t care who beat who on Ring, for the most part.
    I’d take an F12 TDF all day over an Aventador svj 63 despite the latter crushing the f12’s times.

otakki, Makuono, Caeruleus11 and 2 others like this.
  10. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    True. If you care about lap times, but a race car. If you care about having the most majestic, charismatic V12 in a sports GT - that you can enjoy and feel on many different roads, across huge distances, in comfort, buy an 812. The more you tune it to go faster around the 'ring, the more you compromise what makes it the most majestic car of 2019.

otakki, deltona and Caeruleus11 like this.
  11. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I’d take TDF as I find the 812 exterior to be so poorly designed.

12. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    Did enjoy driving it around Fiorano in November 2017. Must confess.

13. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    I wish the opposite. The way ferrari doing 599, F12, 812 is so perfect. I don’t mind if they do 8 minutes as long as they keep pumping out road cars like these.

For the AMG GT, every time I get in one I would be excited for a good 5 min for the strong engine power delivery. Then not for long I would wish to leave the car immediately . The suspension is way too stiff for the streets and bad ergonomic interior. For me to consider it, Mercedes need to put it under 6:45 to justify the penalty of the ride.

R J likes this.
  14. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Agreed. I too found the ride of the Merc to be punishingly unenjoyable. And the car itself become boring and redundant after a short period. Comparatively, I find my Tdf to be endlessly entertaining and never punishing.

R J likes this.
  15. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    That Merc V8 is enjoyable... till you experience a Ferrari V8. When you get to experience a Ferrari V12, you forget everything else!!!

16. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    Bench racers gonna bench race.