712 Canam #1010 | FerrariChat

712 Canam #1010

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by modena1967, Feb 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
  2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    it says: has always been a works car, also that the full ownership is known
    strange this writing when it always have been a works car, then F still is the owner?

readplays likes this.
  3. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    I recall it on offer from Obrists collection at Christies Monaco in 1990 and from the McCaw collection at Christies Tarrytown in 2000, both times it failed to wow due to its status as a complete outlier in Ferrari's fabulous back catalogue. I understand the best 512S/Ms are selling for around this mark and the 712 is based on a 512 chassis BUT this car was unsuccessful as both a 512S/M and a 712 Can Am.

4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #5 Nembo1777, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    I wrote the 712's Tarrytown Christie's catalog text and I believe that was 1998 not 2000?
    As a 512M it won the Kyalami 9 hours which Forghieri told me proved the point that it had reached competitiveness (even though the 917 opposition that weekend was not massive) the car -when just converted into 512M- also took pole and stormed off ahead of the 917 competition, present in full force, at Zeltweg before it retired.

See my comprehensive 712 cover article with period driver interviews in Cavallino #102, twenty two years ago (!). Trying to do the photoshoot when it was at Symbolic in La Jolla took three locations and moving that thing around with a flatbed truck is no easy task! Bill Noon who I saw Friday at retromobile had just sent me out with a flatbed truck and its driver: "Go where you want for your static photoshoot" and, after some tribulations, we got it done in the end:)
    I also ran into John and Alicia Barnes of Cavallino at Retromobile Friday, great to see them.

I hope it finds a new home as owner PK is turning entirely away from cars apparently and that we see it soon in Can Am events: it would be great to see it storming around Elkhart lake again:)

Timmmmmmmmmmy, 375+, miurasv and 3 others like this.
  5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    could you please share some photos here? would be great ;)

6. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Marc it was Tarrytown, April 2000 and it was not a strong sale. The 712 was dying on the block at around $800,000, then after some heated back stage discussion it sold for $1.45 million to a telephone bidder (Carlos Monteverde). Christies ended-up with three No Sale lots consigned by Symbolic in their inventory-- a 365 GTB/4, a Miura SV and possibly a 246 GTS.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #8 Nembo1777, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Hello Romano, the photos (slides actually) are with my belongings in the UK and I am in France but they will be seen again don't worry:)

Anyway the anecdote about the photoshoot which took some effort; first we went to a cliff top in a park near la Jolla and as we began to take the car down to shoot it there a guard arrived, a little agitated and said we could not put a racing car, unregistered, on the ground there so we had to find another place. Then a couple of miles further after lots of inadequate terrain there was a beautiful brand new concrete pier, impeccably stain free, dramatically jutting into the Pacific as piers do:) attached to a handsome building. I thought this would be striking very slick so I walked inside introduced myself, stated this facility, (some kind of marine lab) could be thanked in the article and the answer was...we would be delighted to let you shoot....for a $500 fee....
    I had no budget planned for such frankly unnecessary expenses so I had to decline...so we were on the road again...then I thought about a park off the highway just north of San Diego which is by the bay and the flatbed driver thought that was a good idea too. So we get there, unload the beast, refit whatever bodywork piece we had to remove to load and unload it, I get my camera and tripod ready...and the police arrives! I thought oh no here we go, they will kick us out and maybe even give us a fine...
    I just smiled and waved at them...and...they waved back, looked at the car admiringly, saw we were clearly just shooting, not about to do doughnuts with it on public land and drove off!
    What a relief! finally I could get to work!
    We also did some shots at another location which was problem free thankfully:)

modena1967, 375+ and turbo-joe like this.
  8. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Which dealer/broker has this car for sale? France?

9. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    1010 was on the stand of Mario Linke/Cologne and Franco Meiners/Monaco during last week's Retromobile.
    The owner himself, P.K., was also present.

Marcel Massini

tomgt likes this.