Oil Tank drain plug | FerrariChat

Oil Tank drain plug

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by F612, Feb 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    I have a 612 on which the engine oil tank has damaged threads on the drain casting.
    I understand that the 550, 575 and others have the same drain. The casting at the tank is aluminum and the plug is steel so a heli-coil is used to improve the strength of the connection. My car has damaged female threads into which the heli-coil screws.
    Does anyone know the tread size and pitch so I can get the proper tap to repair it?

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Sorry to hear of the troubles. I cannot help, but can the experts chime in on the best preventive measures? Should one apply anti-seize grease to the bolt before installation?

3. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    How on earth did someone damage the threads in the oil tank lower casting. It has a Heli-coil in it from the factory. Did they pull the Heli-coil insert out of the hole? The tap is a large special tap that may have to be purchased from Heli-coil. Measure the threads on the oil drain plug and just get a Helicoil kit for that size plug.

Your other option is to just replace the casting on the bottom of the oil tank. It comes with a new Heli-coil already installed and may save you a bunch of headache from trying to salvage your damaged casting. It only costs $122 from Ricambi and easily comes off with just four nuts.

AClark and brian.s like this.
  4. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    How do you spell, "Torque Wrench"?

5. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Mule head torque wrench!!

6. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    I have had the car for a year. Bought it from a well known exotic car reseller (and non-Ferrari dealer) in FL.
    I took it to a FL Ferrari dealer for a track day inspection. They said the oil level was too high and removed the plug to drain a bit of oil.
    They could not get the plug to screw back in and seemed surprised that it had a helicoil. By the time I saw it the helicoil was stretched out the hole and damaged beyond use.
    I was on a tight schedule and had to have them make a patch to get the car on/off the trailer. I went to Daytona for the Rolex 24, missed the FCA track day and brought the car back to Birmingham. DAMMIT
    I bought a new helicoil, took out the patch and removed the casting. That is when I discovered the damaged threads in the casting.
    I have ordered a new casting which will be here soon but I would like to repair the old one for a spare in case it happens again.

7. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The dealership did not know that the drain has a helicoil in it? Ferrari has been using helicoils all of their oil drains since they came out with the 308GTB over 40 years ago! They even show the helicoil as a replacement part with its own part number in the factory Ferrari parts catalogues.

My guess is that there is not enough metal left in the casting to support a new helicoil if you were to tap the threads. The new helicoil would just pull out again when the drain plug was tightened. If the casting was unavailable or very expensive, then then I would have a machinist bore out the casting, and machine a threaded insert that would be welded into the casting. This is how we have oil sumps on early Ferrari 250GT engines repaired. The cost of this repair would exceed that of the new casting ($122) for your 612.

I would keep your old casting on my desk as a paperweight.

AClark and f355spider like this.
  8. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    Well, it would not be the most expensive machine based paper weight I have ever had!
    Thanks for the input!!

9. nart

nart Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    A Helicoil is not the only kind of thread insert available. Solid inserts are also available which are a solid piece of cylindrical material threaded on the inside and outside. Their wall thickness is greater than a Helicoil and hence the required tapped hole will be bigger allowing you a direct fix for the damaged Helicoil thread by simply drilling and tapping for the solid insert. Google “Metric Thread Inserts” and you should be able to find a suitable part to fix this problem.

The use of a torque wrench is not necessarily a prevention for thread damage such as this, in fact, it can be the cause of it. There is an expression “good hands” referring to a comptent mechanics ability to feel what is happening as a fastener is tightened. A good mechanic should be able to descern by feel if the fastener is snugging up properly or the threads are binding and about to do damage. Blindly relying on a torque wrench instead of experience and feel, particularly one that is physicaly large, is more likely to cause such damage than prevent it.

Solid State likes this.
  10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    You need both, not just the hand feel part. Ferrari had "hand tighten" in the WSM for the oil filters in the 550, and that led to all kinds of blown filters. The 575M had a torque figure after they learned that lesson.

11. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    I believe Hill Engineering makes a replacement plate that replaces the entire drain plug, at least the did when I had my 360. Same problem with that car.

12. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    Ricambi To The Rescue!
    New casting arrived with insert installed. All parts fit and problem is past.
    Thanks to all

f355spider likes this.