Barchetta Market Check | FerrariChat

Barchetta Market Check

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Qksilver, Sep 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hi Guys,

Is anybody privy to the current state of the Barchetta market? What are they trading for? Are there any recent data points? I see the same online dealer inventory of 5 or so cars lingering for many months, but it's been quiet here and I haven't seen any private discussion about them.

So, has anybody tried to sell one, buying one, or spoken to an enlightened market cicerone about them?

Thanks,
    Joe

2. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    The cheapest one i've seen in a while is on ebay now next to me in fort lauderdale sub $400k. Nice red one with like 4k miles. The silver one on ebay has been there forever asking $500k. Personally I think its much nicer than the 575 superamerica.

3. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    27.000 miles.... That Car is probably AS new still! I agree. The Barchetta is nicer than the Superamerica. More pure..

Christian.Fr and LARRYH like this.
  4. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I believe they sold the 27K miler. The 4K car looks very nice.

Here's the question - what is the right car to potentially trade the 599 for? At the moment, cooled on Barchetta's and thinking Stradale. I imagine a <15K mile/factory stripe/alcantara example should be ~$200K?

5. ifeelfree0

ifeelfree0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I have looked at 4 in the past 4 months and for a 5k-10k mile example.....$230k. That is selling price confirmed,not the ask

6. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    There is a useful thread in the 360/430 forum on Challenge Stradale value/pricing.

Your $200k is in the ballpark for 15k miles, although you might find some asking prices well above that. The CS market is hyper-influenced by mileage (like all ferrari's although perhaps a bit more so). The premium for 5k mile cars is huge vs. 15k or more. If you want to actually drive the car more than a few hundred miles per year, I'd get one with 20k+ miles for sub $180k.

7. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks for the data points - very helpful insight!

Thank you - this is exactly what I'm thinking.

The reality is that between the weather here and summer weekend travel, the cars don't get driven a ton, so a lower mile car would be a decent idea as miles won't pile on despite being driven when regularly when possible. That said, I think the premium on low miles is ridiculous, so the preference would be a flawless non-garage queen, which should be ~15K +/- in my mind.

8. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Circling back re: Barchetta. Does anybody have pulse on the market? What are these cars worth? Say sub 10K miles.

-Joe

9. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    350-450 depending on colors and miles. Thats my opinion

10. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Seems aligned with my thinking generally.

11. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I personally think they are wickedly undervalued. I have no idea why they aren't more money. its a 6 speed manual front engine v 12 special series car with true limited production. In my opinion... far more ferrari than a 458 speciale aperta

12. pshep138

pshep138 Formula 3

Apr 20, 2013
    The Midwest
    Hi all,

I've recently been offered the opportunity to purchase a 550 Barchetta, sub-200 mile car, platinum award winner at Cavallino. The car was auctioned a handful of years ago and sold for over $720k (with premium), and the car hasn't been publicly offered for sale since. Given the car's provenance and ultra-low mileage, I'm having difficulty coming up with a value for the car. Any insight would be appreciated. I've seen many Barchettas listed in the last ~ 6 months with what I would consider mid-mileage (3k - 10k) with asking prices anywhere from 380 to 600.

13. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    there are not many 200 mile cars any more so hard to say the value ...but I think the numbers being discussed are about right for an under 10k car over 10k looking at under 300... 20k car probably mid 200s like 240......
    when I sold my 8000 mile red car a couple of years ago it was around 400..but the ultra low miles were insane ...
    I would think a real 200 mile car with a great color could be a 500k car..

14. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Larry - have you come across any offered commensurate to those ranges?

15. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Yes other than the 200 mile car but what i offered was my opinion on value. And a little experience based on what i have seen from mine and the casual review...the car is worth what ever a willing buyer is willing to pay and a willing seller is willling to sell for Not based on offered prices. I have seen over the years that asking prices on these limited edition ferraris are all over the place but that has little impact on actual value

16. pshep138

pshep138 Formula 3

Apr 20, 2013
    The Midwest
    This car has changed hands twice since 2014, and both transactions were over the $720,000 mark, the most recent one being well above that figure. Since being acquired by its current owner, it was awarded platinum at Cavallino, which surely lends credibility to the car's value and status as possibly one of the best 550 Barchetttas in the world.

A Rosso Corsa/Nero car with 350 miles went through Gooding's Scottsdale 2018 auction for $522,500, incl. premium. That seems to be the closest comparable I can find.

G. Pepper and LARRYH like this.
  17. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    That sounds about right i thought there was a low mile car that sold for that kind of price recently just could not remember where ...

18. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I've always been curious about this... what would you plan to do with the sub-200 mile car? Just put it on display? Would you start it every once in a while or prep it for storage and remove all the fluids, etc?

I always wonder about these things, but rarely get to ask someone who is actually contemplating it.

Incidentally, I'm not saying putting it on display is a bad thing or anything like that... it's not what I would do, but to each their own.

19. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Same concept as added value for a stick... on a car that won't be driven. Why value the experience that one will not experience?

Anyway, this thread is directionally helpful - however would love to see some grounded data points or hear from more sellers. Not an easy task with such low production volume!

20. pshep138

pshep138 Formula 3

Apr 20, 2013
    The Midwest
    It would purely be a display/collection piece. There are a handful of others available to buy right now if someone wanted to buy one with miles to be a driver.

21. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    When you display it, do you drain the fluids, remove the battery, and prep it for long term storage so it can't be driven? Just curious about how this works.

22. pshep138

pshep138 Formula 3

Apr 20, 2013
    The Midwest
    I wouldn't be displaying it. I'm a dealer, I'd be buying it to resell.

23. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    What is the market price for 20/25K mile cars ?

I want to drive it.

Not interested in being an odometer watcher and caretaker, for a future owner with a can of wax.

ewright likes this.