612 Battery - Best practice for recharging | FerrariChat

612 Battery - Best practice for recharging

Discussion in '612/599' started by Craddock, Feb 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Craddock

Craddock Rookie

Nov 12, 2016
    Hello,

I’ve succeeded in letting my battery drain completely in my 612. The forums were very helpful for accessing it, and I’ve gottten into the boot to access the battery... but before trying to get some life back into the battery I had a couple of questions which I hoped somebody may have a view on...

1/ The car was standing in the garage a little over three weeks - is it normal that the battery would drain in this time (I have a tracker as well as alarm etc.); previously I’ve run the car at least every two weeks and typically its been fine, so I’m just trying to gauge normal charge life

2/ I have a little plug on the battery that seems to be for a trickle charger (an accu-smart charger), I’ve not used the trickle charger as I’m a liltle nervous of fire risks, but I have no way of knowing if it even works; were it to be working, would a trickle charger be enough to recharge the battery, or do I need something more robust?

3/ If I were to use one of the mobile boosters that the roadside assistance people carry for jump starting, would this work on a Ferrari or am I at risk of frying the electronics, which seem to be more highly strung than in other makes.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
    John

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Do not jump

Trickle charge won't cut it

If its more than 2 or 3 years old just replace - try Tayna

Two week life seems to be a good rule of thumb

3. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    3 short answers:

1: yes is normal
    2: keep it charged! It is there for this reason
    3: do not jump start

Verstuurd vanaf mijn G3121 met Tapatalk

4. Diny

Diny Karting

Jun 24, 2017
    Starting it in the garage is not a necessary guarantee that the battery will be fully charged by the time you shut the car off. Starting a nearly 6 liter V12 takes a bit of grunt. Depending on how long you left the engine running, it's possible that you ended up with less juice than what you started with.

Like others have mentioned, a trickle charger is recommended. Personally, I am a fan of CTEK trickle chargers. I've been using the 56-353 unit for years.

5. Craddock

Craddock Rookie

Nov 12, 2016
    Many thanks for the replies - sounds like time to invest in a new trickle charger! Appreciate the confirmation that jump starting isn’t recommended. Its quite something that the battery won’t hold up for more than a couple of weeks - one of the joys of ownership I guess. Thanks again for the advice, John

6. Kevin Cooke

Kevin Cooke Rookie

Feb 8, 2019
    London
    Full Name:
    Kevin Charles Cooke
    #6 Kevin Cooke, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Hi John,

I have a 2008 612 OTO and I keep it in a public car park in London, I have also had fitted the 'military grade London battery and like you tend to use the car every two weeks but after a holiday last year I too had a flat battery, at that time I changed the battery to the old one and recharged the new battery at home, then replaced it. I had to buy a tool to use the battery cut out Ferrari stopped providing the cut out handle in the tool kit. I now use a Polar card to access the 13 amp electric charging points in the car park (£7.00/month) and now trickle charge the battery, mostly every week in the winter for 3-4 hours only and check the condition of the battery with a meter place in the cigarette lighter socket. This all works perfectly and soon I'll be back to doing decent journeys ever couple of weeks so this regime will not be needed again until next winter or each side of me being abroad for a few weeks. Best regards Kevin

7. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    +1 on the CTEK chargers. I use one almost all the time on my 612 unless I know that I am going to be driving the car in the next 2 -3 days. Same with my 355 that gets driven less. Charger keeps the battery charged up all the time and should also extend the battery life.

8. Craddock

Craddock Rookie

Nov 12, 2016
    Thanks very much for the replies here and the votes for the CTEK chargers - I’ve ordered one and guess I’ll be changing my winter use/storage approach. It hasn’t been an issue in prior years as I’ve fitted winter tyres an just driven it regularly (though washing after every outing becomes a PITA!)... Good to know that 2-3 weeks is the maximum for an unsupported battery and its not indicative of any faults beyond user error. Thanks again to all who replied and offered advice. Kind regards, John