Williams F1 | Page 16 | FerrariChat

Williams F1

Discussion in 'F1' started by BJMoravek, Mar 3, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Livery is too bad..what a crap!

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I must say that I have a most uneasy feeling about this new title sponsor ROKIT. Doing some quick research it looks like a pre-revenue brand and jumping into a title sponsorship in the most expensive sport in the world seems fishy to me at best. Of course desperate times has one look for any port in a storm but I for one am skeptical of this companies ability to meet their financial obligations over the course of the season.

375+ likes this.
  3. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    It was designed by Lance before he left.

4. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    LOLO, with help from his sister!

5. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Do we even know what those obligations are. Is there a minimum that a 'title' sponsor must contribute?

6. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010

Rokit is a new John-Paul DeJoria brand - I don't think there's much to worry about. I suspect this is quite a coup for Williams....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Paul_DeJoria

Incidentally they're also sponsoring Nic Hamilton's BTCC car
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    No doubt that John-Paul DeJoria adds credibility but who knows what his involvement is like and the company ROKiT has some pretty ambitious and diversified claims for a company that really has not yet launched. I certainly hope that I am wrong but it has all the hallmarks of a sponsorship train wreck.

8. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Yikes...I'm not sure that company will take off anytime soon. I guess it's similar to Williams.

9. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  10. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
  11. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/141461/williams-calls-off-shakedown-due-to-build-delays

Williams has abandoned plans to give its 2019 Formula 1 car a shakedown in Spain this weekend because it is running late with its build plans.

The team had been scheduled to use up one of its filming days to give its new FW42 a short run before the start of pre-season testing at Barcelona next Monday.

But with Williams running behind its original schedule, it has elected to scrap the shakedown run so it can ensure it is fully ready for proper testing.

Deputy team principal Claire Williams said: "As anyone would expect, we have had an extremely aggressive engineering programme over the winter.

"As such, we have taken the decision not to run our car during our filming day this weekend in order to allow the team to maximise the time at the factory before we head to Barcelona for the first day of the test on February 18."

Williams is not the only team whose car build schedule is running late, with Renault admitting on Tuesday that it could also be forced to abandon a shakedown it hoped to do in Spain on Saturday.

12. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    They could have done something with that day...let the reserve driver get his track time there and leave the testing days for the real drivers.

13. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Nice bbc documentary about Frank on the iplayer

14. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/141560/williams-to-miss-first-day-of-preseason-testing

Williams will miss the start of 2019 Formula 1 pre-season testing at Barcelona on Monday because the build of its car is still running late.

The team had already been forced to scrap plans for a weekend shakedown, and now it has announced it will be a day late in starting official running.

Claire Williams, deputy team principal, said: "Unfortunately, we have had to delay the start of our pre-season Barcelona test to Tuesday morning.

15. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Not a great start to 2019.So they bring in another pay reserve driver Latifi. Paps is even 'bigger' than Stroll.It's tragic seeing this happen to one of the iconic teams .

william likes this.
  16. DF1

Ms Williams does not want or like Jr teams. So they will not be 1 for Mercedes?? How much longer do you pour funding down the drain. A possible sale of the team? They appear to have few options on the surface. I would not buy an F1 team unless the new formula is apparent. Sooner or later one team will fold. I could see Williams first going.

william and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  17. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Yep a sale looks to be the favourite option .Paps Lafiti is probably already trying to round up some investors following in Stroll's footsteps right now.He could probably easily manage it alone, even after dropping $200K into Mclaren.

Just wait until Kubica drops out of the team,and voila Lafiti Jnr gets the drive in Paps new team.If that doesn't happen then the next up is the boy ending up at Mclaren .Either way he WILL end up with an F1 drive .Money talks.

18. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Sad but probably true.

I wish the best for Robert but I am skeptical that he will complete the season, hopefully I'm wrong. Williams milks several million out of his backers to keep the lights on and his return generates some publicity for the team. I can't see how he will be competitive at Monaco.

19. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    He's a second faster than the drivers they had last year, so there's that. My concern is how much carbon fiber he will liberate from the car this year; the guy loves to crash.

20. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Williams has a defective atmosphere that existed long before Claire was put in charge. She didn't make steps to (or was not allowed to) change their ways. They still have cash left over at the end of the season, but that's not saying much. Another season or two at the ass end of the grid will be mighty unkind to their finances.

jgonzalesm6, william and DF1 like this.
  21. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Oh dear...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/williams-testing-setback-day-two/4339697/

“It is looking more likely than not that we will now not be in a position to run on track until Wednesday at the earliest." -Claire Williams.​

We've not even started yet and Williams are already in serious trouble. :(

How can they not be ready to test? What have they been doing all winter? :confused:

All the best,
    Andrew.

22. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales

Wedneday now....:oops:

23. DF1

Funding and hope - in search of??

24. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I bet it's money related and not time. They probably finished the design process long ago as they had no shot of anything in 2018 so the 2019 car was likely far along the process design-wise. Making it a reality and building it of course takes more money...

25. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Next team to fold.

Won't be at testing tomorrow. Car is rumoured to be 2 seconds slower than their car last year...which was the slowest. Claire is completely inept. As is whoever is designing that car. Team morale is gone before the season has even started.

Ryan... and 375+ like this.