Selling my 488 - Should I buy the extended warranty? | FerrariChat

Selling my 488 - Should I buy the extended warranty?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by RaceMX-M3, Feb 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I am likely going to put my 2016 488 GTB up for sale soon. I have until the end of February to decide to extend the warranty. One year is $6300 and two years is $9900. I'm sure the extended warranty would help with resale but I don't want to drop that kind of cash if I'm not going to get a significant enough portion of it back when I sell the car. What should I do?

2. pdxjim488

pdxjim488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2018
    I am a noob to the brand but what sold me was the warranty available on the car. Years ago I heard horror stories about the maintenance costs of the F car. If I were buying a used one, I would be paying special attention to the remaining term. And a noob question. If your warranty expires, can a new owner buy the warranty plan?

3. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
    From what the dealer told me the extended (factory) warranty must be purchased before it expires. Maybe there's some caveat if you're buying an out of warranty car from a Ferrari dealer, not sure.

4. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    There was a thread recently and the consensus was not to buy an extended warranty. For resale it will likely help but 9grand worth of help? Doubt it.

5. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    That is a good question. I don't think you can get back dollar for dollar, but I think it will help sell it faster. One year is all you would need imo. If you trade it in I'd be curious to know if the dealer values it or not.

SAFE4NOW and Caeruleus11 like this.
  6. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Agree. If you just want to get rid of the car faster, and don't mind the 9k loss upfront, then buy the extended warranty. I surmise that even if you drop 9 k in selling price, people would just want more future discount to offset his own warranty purchase. This is essentially a customer psychology even though your net is the same.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  7. C4sxm5

C4sxm5 Rookie

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m in the market and would pay extra for a an extended warranty but not full retail, but also wouldn’t touch one that doesn’t have a warranty left.

Actually looked at your 488 and it’s check all my boxes except for the exterior color (wife can’t stand red). Have you thought about listing it before the warranty ends and give the buyer the option to extend?

SAFE4NOW and Caeruleus11 like this.
  8. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yes I may try that although I'm up against the clock. I only have until the end of the month.

9. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    FWIW , 2012 and newer models come with FREE maintenance for the 1st 7 years, then you have the option of purchasing Main Power Warranty that includes that years service as well as listed component coverage!

Yes, an owner has the option of purchasing New Power Warranty or Main Power Warranty once the Ferrari is out of warranty period(s)

Some do it , some do not, its a personal choice - risk management style.

S

10. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Correct, in order to add 1 or 2 year warranty extension, it must be purchased prior to the warranty expiration date. ( Usually 1 day before when possible )

Warranty extension is exactly what is sounds like, it extends the original 3 year warranty to the 4th or 5th years.

New Power and Main Power are reduced coverage options after warranty extension has past.

S

11. DingDIng

DingDIng Rookie

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston tx
    What's the difference between New Power Warranty and Main Power Warranty?

12. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Main Power Warranty is available in the 8th year.

Its effectively New Power Warranty that includes that years annual service(s) that are due. Cost has yet to be released / confirmed yet, but expected to be about $500.00 over what a New Power Warranty cost.

Note: Main Power Warranty will only be available on those Ferrari that previously HAD 7 year free maintenance.

S

13. ring007

ring007 Karting

Oct 13, 2008
    If you are going to sell it yourself (vs trading it in at a dealer), I think it would be worth it to buy the 2 year warranty. It will make your car stand out from all the other 2016’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AClark and Viperjoe like this.
  14. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

All other things being equal, the car with the warranty sells first. Others may sit for months waiting for a buyer. The time/value of money should also be considered.

boobernackle likes this.