Spec my used 458 | FerrariChat

Spec my used 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Mr. Adair, Feb 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mr. Adair

Mr. Adair Rookie

Feb 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Michael J. Adair
    Gent's,

Former 997 GT3RS driver here and newbie to Ferrari chat. My apologies for cutting to the chase. I have 190K to buy my next GT car. What is the most sought after 458 or coolest spec for that cash outlay? Can someone point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance-

2. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    Not to be rude, but have you browsed AutoTrader.com and Cars.com yet to see what you like? Spyder, Italia, roof color, seat stiching, seat color, carpet color, floor mat color, dash color, dash stitching color, seats style, seat size, lift, backup camera, sensors, carbon fiber, etc, etc, etc. Pretty much every 458 was custom ordered, so unlike your 997, no two cars are alike, you've got to determine what you want and then hunt for it, and you'll never find one exactly like you want and it'll probably take months to find one close to what you want.

3. Mr. Adair

Mr. Adair Rookie

Feb 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Michael J. Adair
    No worries, I know how to hunt for a car. And I understand your points completely there are options on RS's as well. I'm not there yet. I was just looking more for something like 2011/12's were better cars or this color combo or interior spec is the one people often look for. If someone was to ask me the same question about a Gen 2 997RS I could pretty much describe the car to a T in terms of most desirable. Thank you...

4. jac

jac Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    Full Name:
    jack cohen
    I am no expert however I just purchased my 1st Ferrari. I have been a Lamborghini guy for years. My must have options were red exterior, Daytona seats in tan, carbon fiber led steering wheel. My wants were front end lift, scuderia shields, and as much carbon fiber other bits as possible. Fyi my daily driver in the snow too, is a 15 targa 4s in black. Also kept my 08 manual Gallardo spyder in yellow. Porsche should be black, lambo yellow, and Ferrari in red. My 2c

5. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Generally speaking, you want to focus on cars after about mid 2012, since the early cars seemed to have gearbox issues from time to time; now that cars are out of warranty, you want to be careful, since gearbox replacement can be costly. Also, usually dealers aren't going to service the gearbox but rather just put a whole new one in. Myself, I'd focus on 2013 or after.

I'd avoid cars with suspension lifters. Try to get one with a rear backup camera. iphone adapter is also nice, although the infotainment system in the 458 is a bit squirrelly.

You want one which has had proper service. The alternator belt is supposed to be changed every other year.

Also, check the wheels spec'd out. You want the forged wheels ideally, since they are gonna be stronger (and I believe lighter weight). I have some of the original factory brochures and info in PDF if you want to check them out as well as probably the price options list.

Get the tach color you like if possible. Some colors (e.g. yellow) can be difficult to see in the sun. Also, light color stitching up on the dash will often reflect up into the windshield. A lot of Ferrari owners are excited at all the possible configurations when they spec out the car and so they tend to go ******* crazy with colors and contrasting stitching without any real thought to stuff like that.

Make sure the car has the original manuals and both keys. Also, you can usually call a dealer and give them the VIN# and find out if there are any outstanding service campaigns that need to be done on the car (and also the original spec for the car too I believe).

Check the rotors also. And pads. New brake pads start out at 10mm thick. Rotors don't wear per se, but you can see how the surfaces look. For the most part, the rotors will work fine even when highly worn, but some dealers will wig out and claim they all need to be replaced if the wear patterns match the photos in the service manual.

Also look at the front part where the wings are - that area takes a lot of stone chips, especially on the track, so dealers often re-spray that area. Anyone foolish enough to tailgate in a Ferrari will end up with many stone chips, even with a 3M clear bar

Power seats and power mirrors are nice. I had full electric / heated seats in my 458 and really loved them (although they do add some weight).

Finally, the 458 works very well with a Braille lithium battery. Search the forum and you'll see a few of us use the i48CS and i48CX model. With the i48CS, you basically never have to use the battery tender ever again, which is super nice.

Anyway, those are a few things to consider when shopping. The 458 is an outstanding car. Best Ferrari ever made in my opinion.

Ray

6. AllItalian

AllItalian Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 20, 2019
    TX
    That’s some awesome info ,also new to the forum moving from Porsche GT cars ,thank you !

Scro likes this.
  7. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Here are a couple of brochures that might be handy as far as possible options on cars. I also have the 458 Italia sales brochure, but it's too large to attach.

Ray

Attached Files:

8. FerrariFab

FerrariFab Karting

Jan 14, 2010
    Inland Empire
    Full Name:
    CFI Designs
    Definately get front suspension lift, 2010-2015 all have the same gearbox contrary to believe wiring was changed on the inside which caused some issues on the earlier years. Carbon race seats would be a must for me as well.

9. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    If the wiring was changed on the inside, that doesn't sound like the same gearbox...

Avoid suspension lifts at all costs, lol.. but that's just my 2 cents.

Ray

victorc31 likes this.
  10. FerrariFab

FerrariFab Karting

Jan 14, 2010
    Inland Empire
    Full Name:
    CFI Designs
    When you can swap a 2010 gearbox into a 2015 and vice versa i consider it the same box. Curious why you choose to avoid suspension lift?

11. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I just prefer my suspension to act as suspension, not also a car heigh adjuster. Just personal preference.

Ray

12. Mr. Adair

Mr. Adair Rookie

Feb 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Michael J. Adair
    Fantastic response Ray this is what I was looking for. It's early days and I am not sure if I am going in this direction yet. Very much enjoying the responses and the learning! Thank you. When I have a question I'll jump in...

RayJohns likes this.
  13. Mr. Adair

Mr. Adair Rookie

Feb 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Michael J. Adair
    On RS's I can take or leave the lift. I like the weight removal and removing the possibility of a high cost repair. That said, on an RS front lips are cheap to scrape and replace..

14. arkone

arkone Karting

Nov 20, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Mo

As long as you skip the first model year you'll be fine. Stick to 2011+. The 458 is a rock solid car and you'll see many on the road with 30-40k+ miles without any major issues.

In terms of color combos, red exterior should be number 1. It's a freakin' ferrari. I personally believe the Mantra that everyone that buys a Ferrari should at one point or another own a Rosso Corsa on nero or tan interior. I personally bought my first ferrari (458 Italia) back in August and went for a 2011 Rosso Corsa with Black/Red interior.

In terms of options backup camera and sensors are nice to have, but not necessary. Go for a full carbon LED steering wheel and as much interior and exterior carbon as you can. In terms of buying a car, you won't pay more than 10 cents on the dollar. A base 458 might sell for 150k whereas the same spec with an extra $20-$30k in carbon fiber might sell for $155k.

$190k will get you pretty much any 458 Italia you want and most spiders. I know of a $330k MSRP 458 Spyder for sale for $180k. There is a thread about it on here right now. Do you live in a cold or warm climate?

15. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I had an ABS skid plate on my 458 and it worked great. I also lowered the car 15mm in front by turning down the coil over collars. Personally, myself, I wouldn't buy any Ferrari with the suspension lift option.

Ray

16. arkone

arkone Karting

Nov 20, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Mo

+1 on the skipping front lift. The 458 is able to tackle most obstacles just fine, as long as you aren't doing 50+ in a neighborhood over bumps. I live in Nebraska with speedbumps and potholes and have done just fine driving a bit carefully on speedbumps and steep driveways.

RayJohns likes this.