Thinking about this non running 348 | FerrariChat

Thinking about this non running 348

Discussion in '348/355' started by AuthenticRebuilds, Feb 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AuthenticRebuilds

Feb 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    david
    currently on ebay is a white 348 ive been getting info on.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-Ferrari-348/223321802142

This would be my first ferrari. I have pictures of the tops of the timings belts which look good and tight. It really appears that this car has been sitting a long time. Im very capable as a mechanic. I work on automated storage and retrieval warehouse equipment at work and often times the other spare part may not even be on the continent so my work practices are good. Would I be nuts to pay a little over 30k? A part of going through a very like how this one needs is when its done i like knowing whats been done and that its been done right. Strange to say its like relationship building. Another little perk is that I like the slick top and the color combo. currently I have a white and tan porsche cayman in the garage with 27k miles.

Thanks in advance.

2. AuthenticRebuilds

Feb 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    david
    Also I just found out, no keys.....The car would be shipped from California to South Carolina and being able to steer to get it on and off a trailer is helpfull. Any ideas??

3. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    He can't get some keys cut for it?

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I wouldn't pay over $25 for that.

Less than 5 years ago I bought a platinum winning 90 ts for $35k. All it needed was a full service a year later.

348 values have not risen that much since.

5. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I'm perfectly capable of fixing just about any Ferrari. To the uninitiated I would say, "Run Forest Run!" You could pic that up for 20k and put 30k worth of parts minus your free labor and you could have just bought a good used running one dump in a couple grand in parts an run the pi$s our of it! And you won't have a salvaged title which brings the value of the best salvaged 348 to around 50% value of the best unbranded 348. Don't forget insurance buys wholesale.

bpu699 and ernie like this.
  7. AuthenticRebuilds

Feb 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    david
    the other thread was very usefull thanks. Its hard to find a decent one for under 40 now. There is one close to me though it has twice the miles, would have a fresh major service but would still need some love for a little under 50k. The dealer and myself will be looking into keys in the morning. This could be just the project ive been looking for. Im still researching some things but while im here ill ask, did the cars come with imobalizers from the factory and if so are they hard to bypass. I know how aftermarket systems work and with a lil time those are easily yanked out and the car put back how its supposed to be.

8. AuthenticRebuilds

Feb 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    david
    where did the salvage title part come from?

9. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    No immobilizers on the 348. Be extra careful about the rust on this car... that can cost you dearly.

AuthenticRebuilds likes this.
  10. RCKSTR

RCKSTR Karting

I thought Beverly hills car club was proven to be a guy peddling junk over and over o_O

ChipG likes this.
  11. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The name alone "Beverly hills car club" is a red flag.

12. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    especially when it's not in Beverly Hills :)

13. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Perhaps if you invested in one of these electric lock picking tools :rolleyes:

14. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    That drivers seat has done more miles than 25k! and they have clearly pressure washed the engine bay but not the underside, which gives a better indication of overall condition. agree with all of the above, its probably a money pit.

ernie likes this.
  15. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    How do you steer a car with a steering column lock without keys?

Matt

16. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    if its one of those hurricane water damaged cars can you imagine the electeical gremlins...

17. AuthenticRebuilds

Feb 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    david
    That would be a problem and would be why I asked the question. Some older cars have hardware on the locking mechanism that can be removed and some use hardware that snaps the head off when the torque value is reached to prevent that. I finally found some exploded view drawings and it looks like the security bolts was used though it was kinda grainy. Ill be calling the dealer when they get to work this morning.

18. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I'm thinking you would likely regret this purchase at low 30's. Would not touch it at all myself for reasons others have stated.

19. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    20s, definitely.

If you really want it and to take on a project like that...be bold, call him and low ball him. "I'll buy it sight unseen for 20"

sjd

20. AuthenticRebuilds

Feb 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    david
    I ran a carfax, its the cleanest of any car id have ever owned, but interesting. Its had three owners, the last one got it in 2004 and,,,,,well thats the last time anything was ever reported. The service to that point looked to be spot on at the same location but then poof, gone. Im starting to wonder if this car was bought by an older person who neglected it which it shows, and passed away which could explain the lack of keys. The seat bolster is a toss up in my experience, it would be better known after its running and the speedo works or not. I did alot of reading on a post for speedo issues. I gotta give that guy kudos for persistance!

21. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le

OR, it could have been bought by a very competent mechanic who did ALL his work and not reported them to the effing carfax network. Then he retired, died, became incapaciated, or lost the car in recent Malibu flood, and the car is sold off by his AAA insurance company.

.... life is complicated sometimes....

A non running 348, without keys, if flood damaged, etc... is no more than 20K ...
    Good luck. This will be nothing like your Cayman. You can get a short block from Porsche for 6K, you cannot get a 348 engine rebuilt for less than 20K.

22. AuthenticRebuilds

Feb 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    david
    Ive pretty much made my mind looking up issues, ect on other post. A few post here have been helpfull and to those who posted thanks! Unfortunatly its started to get full of guesswork without usefull info. If we want to talk worst case scenarios for cars it could have belonged to a crazy cat lady and be full of fur and piss. Again thanks to those posting good info, especially the link for the other post. I dont know why I didnt search the VIN as I always do that looking at salvage cars and posted a Vin the other day about a 360 in Fl I almost bought! So far its looking like what Im looking for so ill make an offer, maybe they take it maybe they wont but I can tell from experience they have had the car to long and need to move it. If I do get it there will most likely be a series of youtube videos on it. Thanks guys.

Pangea and steved033 like this.
  23. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I like a challenge. Go for it.

24. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Obtaining a Ferrari is the easy part. Maintaining a Ferrari is hard part. The "cheapest" Ferrari came become more expensive than a well maintained higher priced Ferrari.

Pangea likes this.
  25. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Nah, he already made up his mind when he came to fchat. He was just looking for validation. Let him spend his money his way.

WATSON and ernie like this.