360 - 360 Engine Mounts | FerrariChat

360 360 Engine Mounts

Discussion in '360/430' started by C1C7M, Feb 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. C1C7M

C1C7M Karting

Jun 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Specifically for engine mount brackets in 1999 360s, (prior to Ferrari strengthening the part in MY2000) some sources suggest reinforcing existing ones instead of replacing them. What is the conventional assessment of this issue (way to determine reinforcement vs replacement) and what is the approximate cost of doing either one?

2. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    I had two of the updated engine mounts installed on my 2003 360 Spider. The mounts were $318 each at the dealership -- they are about half that price from Ricambi or a similar source. Labor was folded into a major service, so I can't spec that separately for you. Check with your mechanic. Part below:

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/182142-engine-mounts-updated-360.html

3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I have a euro 99. Why on earth would you "reinforce them" when the rubber in them is what degrades and collapses?

You buy new ones, and install them. Done. I think I bought the last pain from AW Italian and installed them in my garage on some ramps. Took a couple hours.

Then, when they wear out in like 5 years, you repeat. The original design was improved upon for better results, so you use that. If it helps, take the old ones and put them into a box to give to the next buyer if they care. OTOH, if a car has original engine mounts from 1999... I'd be worried about ALOT of deferred maintenance in a car that is never driven..

Bob in Makiki likes this.
  4. C1C7M

C1C7M Karting

Jun 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for the responses. This is good information. To be clear, the original reference was to the engine mount *brackets*, which are attached to the chassis and upon which the engine mounts connect. My understanding is that these brackets were a problem on MY1999 only. Does that sound right? If so, what are the options for remedy?

5. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I know exactly what you are talking about, I have a few threads on the subject. I had a scare on my '99 when I found a "crack" in my bracket, which turned out to just be paint-deep, not all the way through. Ferrari had a little known campaign, which they no longer support and dealerships don't even remember (Nobody at Ferrari of Atlanta service knew what I was talking about when I went in there to ask them), where they would weld in a piece of aluminum to strengthen the brackets. The place that did my PPI said they never seen anything like that happening and it was blown out of proportion. I think it was really only cars that were tracked hard with worn, old style motor mounts that would see the issue. Look through my old threads to get a more in-depth discussion.

imahorse likes this.
  6. C1C7M

C1C7M Karting

Jun 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for the informative post — will check out the old threads.