360 - To exhaust or not, droning? | FerrariChat

360 To exhaust or not, droning?

Discussion in '360/430' started by 550nitis, Feb 12, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Looking for a little advice if should get an aftermarket exhaust on my 360 6 MT. Really love the original exhaust of the car, how it’s non so agresiva while driving around town and lately been hearing a small droning noise when idle.

So considering an exhaust. Would be nice to get some of that high pitch sound but don’t want any droning. Any recommendations?

2. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    I would say Kline but I'm not sure if he makes it for the 360. You could give him a call.

3. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    For the best F1 sound ever S-Line Sound has a Xpipe

4. Chux360

Chux360 Rookie

Aug 14, 2017
    Golden, Colorado USA
    Most popular is Tubi

Sent from Chux iPhone

5. Walt Gamble

Walt Gamble Formula Junior

May 22, 2014
    The factory "sport" exhaust suited me best...installed the cutout switch to enjoy the growl most of the time.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

6. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    One of the 360 owners at our C&C has Tubi - sounds very nice at least as an observer.

After debating for over a year I went with a full iPE (Innotech) system for my 430 Spider. Valves closed it seems close to stock volume, but a more pleasing pitch than stock. Nice F1 sound with the valves open, which was my goal. There's a sound byte in another FC post that I feel is representative. Even with the valves open it doesn't seem annoyingly loud like I've heard from some of the more popular brands. It wasn't an inexpensive choice, but I'm very happy with it - no regrets.

Purchased an ECU flash from MASE Engg last week to go with it - can't wait.

7. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #7 SoftwareDrone, Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2019
    If you really want Formula 1 sound - get a Capristo.
    Check out this video (ignore the stupid background music). This is a Capristo level 3. Granted the video was shot in a tunnel, it really does sound insane.

RANDY6005 likes this.
  8. C4YES

C4YES Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2008
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    If you don't want any drone, I'd avoid a Tubi. Had one and it droned at 68-72 mph or so. This was on a spider, may be different with a coupe.

9. Walt Gamble

May 22, 2014

Dittos to that - love the Tubi on someone else's 360 - we do too many long distance trips to survive it. Like I said the factory "sport" with the LOUD valve setting is perfect.

brookliner7 likes this.
  10. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    I’m biased but the CS/sport exhaust is the best! I also happen to have one for sale if you’re interested

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

11. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    I'm in San Antonio, do you have the challenge stradale or do you have the sport exhaust? How much are you asking?

12. Walt Gamble

May 22, 2014
    Timwu12 - I'm just curious whether that's what I have or not - the dealer didn't say CS and at the time I was too ignorant to know. My Sport exhaust looks very similar to the stock element except about 1/3 of its size. The Part was listed as Racing Exhaust Kit # 7000213 + updated Performance ECU. Thx

13. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    I also had the Ferrari Sport exhaust installed on my 2003 360 Spider. What an improvement over my stock system, even with the valves capped off. I do get a bit of resonance at 2500 rpm and then at 4500, which i love. But it is easy to move the RPM's out of that range with a small bit of change to the throttle. After checking directly with Tubi, i learned that the new Sport system is one of their products even though it has Ferrari on the top and has a Ferrari part number tag. I find that it suits my taste perfectly and was fairly reasonably priced at my dealer. I started out searching for a Challenge Stradale system but could not locate a new unit. But for the price I am very pleased with my Sport system.

Walt Gamble likes this.
  14. brookliner7

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    The easiest way to tell is to look and see if cats go through into the muffler or not, the challenge stradale when the valves are open it by passes the entire muffler system so you're essentially running straight pipe and the bark is of two 4 cylinder engines.

The factory sport racing exhaust still passes through the muffler you know the bells are open.

15. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    That's the CS exhaust, the racing exhaust kit is the exact same exhaust as the one that comes with the CS.

16. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    oem 360 exhaust stinks. CS exhaust rocks or a tubi. im sure capristo is fine too. anything is better than stock

17. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    I am interested. Shoot me a PM.

18. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    The stock exhaust is nice, and works very well specially on long trips.

19. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Can’t have a drone at that speed. Do to many long distance trips.

20. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    That sounds nice. Just wonder if it’s too much for a daily driver?

21. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    That is insane. Too much for a daily driver though?

22. brookliner7

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans

Thanks Tim, but Joe from fabspeed said the 430 Muffler is indeed not the same thing as stradale.

"A couple of things to consider.
    Yes the Ferrari oem challenge straddle muffler and the oem 430 muffler have the exact external size and shape. Therefore the mufflers are interchangeable. However Ferrari has different part numbers for these mufflers and Xray inspection shows the internal designs are quite different and the sound was different ......the 430 muffler is more restrictive internally and attenuates controls the sound more versus the straddle coupes muffler."

Here's the thread, check post #7 for more discussion .

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/430-exhaust-in-a-360-need-help.360415/

23. tifosi101

tifosi101 Karting

Jun 12, 2013
    France
    Fake sound ! The video is accelerated !!
    Real sound here :

Envoyé de mon Redmi 3S en utilisant Tapatalk

brookliner7 and Mimmo Blue like this.
  24. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I have a Gruppe M with hi flow cats, it's loud, and the drone has never been an issue for me. If anything, I'm more bothered by the low end that reverberates through the car at idle.

25. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Tubi plus cat delete test pipes in my coupe has a very loud and annoying drone ~ 2700 rpm. So much so that I have considered replacing it with something else.