458 - Why are the 2010-2011 458's not as popular ? | FerrariChat

458 Why are the 2010-2011 458's not as popular ?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by RWC58, Feb 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RWC58

RWC58 Karting

Oct 14, 2018
    Columbus Ohio
    Full Name:
    Robert W Crooks
    I have noticed that when folks ask about desirable years for finding a used 458 2012 and newer are usually recommended . Besides the obvious that these are the first 2 years of production and the newer ones have the maintenance agreement , are there any other reasons to say "avoid" these cars ? I've heard about the gearbox issues on some of the older ones .They do appear to be cheaper as the 458 depreciates .

Help me achieve greater wisdom and knowledge LOL !

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    gearbox issue is a 7500 fix...not that big of a deal...just factor in into your purchase price. i had 2 2010s with no issues. no reason tos hun them in my opinion.

rumen1 and Angelo Salonitis like this.
  3. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    I have a 2011 with 9.500 miles. Never 1 problem. And still has the original ECU engine noise with lots of throttle snarls which is incredible. Which, someone please correct me if I am wrong, may not be present for 2012-onward or those who have had their ECU updated. Am I correct about this? Not 100% sure. I am sure about never having any problems for all 9,500 miles though :)

Angelo Salonitis and MAD828 like this.
  4. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Yes thats correct.

5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    In 2012 Ferrari began their included annual maintenance program. The market place put a bit of a premium on these cars.

6. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    had 2 x 2011:s and not one problem with the gear box. And yes the cracks and pops are gone on the newer ones but you get the free maintenance for 7 years which demands a premium over 2011-2010 models

7. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    People pay more for ‘12s+ because they often misunderstand the 7 years included maintenance and think it’s a 7 year “warranty.” It’s not. It just means you can take it to the dealer for the balance of the remaining 7 years and they won’t charge you for an oil change or other routine maintenance. (The last ones were ‘15s, so that means only maybe 3 years left). There are probably a few undocumented running changes but 458s really are mostly the same in terms of few things breaking.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

8. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Yeh the look on peoples faces when they realize its not a warranty is the same look on their face when they realize if they keep their 30 yr mortgage they will have paid 2 to 2.5x the price of the house.

Makuono, Melvok, AClark and 7 others like this.
  9. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    Yes, same people that argue about "ALL THE TAX BENEFITS" haha

Melvok likes this.
  10. RWC58

RWC58 Karting

Oct 14, 2018
    Columbus Ohio
    Full Name:
    Robert W Crooks
    Thanks for the replies . I'm from the repair end of cars so I know the first couple of years on models can be real shakey but In my search I've seen some reasonably priced well maintained beauties in the 2010-2011 . range for significantly less money than the newer ones.

11. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    Newer years should command a premium in all cars. Lots of parts (rubber) time out. Mileage isn't the only wear factor. I was willing to pay a little more for a car that will break a few years later. It'll simply be longer until I have to replace those things.

Experience tells me we don't even know what these trouble spots will be yet. My guess is the 2010's will lead the way and will start getting reports on the bushings, fuel pumps, ecu chips, vacuum hoses, gaskets, etc, as they age.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  12. FerrariFR33458

FerrariFR33458 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2017
    Wash DC Area
    Full Name:
    FR33
    39000miles on my 2010. No issues

13. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Older cars are likely to get some troubles sooner - then this has to be balanced with the premium for the newer cars. It's not an easy call, because the real value of "less potential trouble" is very difficult to assess.
    OK, I'm not of much help ;)

14. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    2010 6400 miles - no issues and awesome. (Seems to sound better than later years too. #bias :) )

xfrgtr and elt360 like this.
  15. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    I really believe these cars do MUCH better when driven. I have two good friends with 458's, a 2010 and 2011, both drive their cars, and last I heard they had each crossed the 30k mark, and neither has ever had any problems, just standard maintenance. I put 13K on my 458 in one year (but it was a 2014), and the only issue I ever encountered was a weak battery caused by my laziness at setting the charger after each drive. (my 2018 488 now has 9100 miles)

Point is, if everything else about the car checks your boxes, I'd take advantage of what is likely to be a lower price for those years.

Jim

Cigarzman and Caeruleus11 like this.
  16. fireplace63

fireplace63 Karting

Jun 18, 2011
    I believe 2012 production onwards has its damper and transmission software upgraded with better body control and faster shifts on race mode up. The F1-Trac has also been calibrated to allow for faster manoeuvre coming out of corners. The 2010-2011 can opt for the upgrade at a cost, hence I believe the difference in market value?

Melvok and Ash Patel like this.
  17. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yes correct. This is (in Sweden) a 50 000 SEK option

18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    There is absolutely no way 95 percent of current sellers and buyers know that. The price differences are do to age. Asking prices are rather linear for 458s

Melvok, KC360 FL and Jaguar36 like this.
  19. Johnny Martin

Johnny Martin Rookie

Feb 6, 2018
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Martin
    I have a 2010 with 10K miles and have had no problems. Grip it and Rip it!!!

20. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Agree.

Just want to chim in with my first hand experience:
    I had a 2011 with the handling pack option which is included in the 2012 and later models. The difference I experienced from my current 2011 which does not have the handling pack is that transmission from time to time acts a little jerkier and on 458 with the handling pack the crackle and pops was not there. Other then that no difference in the driving experience.

I would rather than looking at a specific year look at the options included:
    - the bucket carbon fibre seats make it a lot easier to sell the car when the times come as this is a very popular opt. -it seems so at least in Sweden.
    - the full carbon fibre interior including the steering wheel with the LED:s.
    - the standard rims which most cars don't have any way is also something to keep in mind, which makes resales here in Sweden at least harder (I think the optional rims are lighter, also looks better imho).
    - also to have all carpets and roof interior finished in alcantara and not the cheaper option which feels very cheap in comparison (both my had alcantara and then I sat in one without it so this is from first hand experience as well).
    - exterior parts in carbon fibre is also something sought after and looks very nice on the 458, but this always reflects a higher selling price

Things that you can live without:
    - sat/nav which you will never use anyway as your smartphone is better than 99% of what the cars offer today
    - the upgraded audio system as I have it on my current one and did not have it on my previous 458, and the difference is not that big.
    - lifting system as the ground clearance is huge on the 458

Things to check out prior to buying more carefully:
    - cracks on the plastic diffusor on the back / on the fins, this is very common
    - % left on the brake pads and the discs. The disc % is measured at the service center and is shown on the service protocol. The pads are pretty expensive to change and the discs are a huge bill, some even sends them to refurbish them rather than buying new as this is a bit cheaper. But if you are lucky you can find new or almost new discs on ebay, but you need to buy them in pair.

Scro, Need4Spd, KC360 FL and 3 others like this.
  21. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    To the contrary, you are right. Yes, a newer car will age-out later but does that make up for the higher initial price? Hard to tell from very limited info.

Since these cars are no longer in production and you can’t order them the way you want, it’s often more of a question of finding the car you want regardless of the model year. When I looked, it truly amazed me the number of cars with odd combinations out there that I would not buy even if offered at less than other cars.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. Gstefanick

Gstefanick Rookie

Jan 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    George Stefanick

Love to hear someone actually driving their car .. I purchased a 2011 and put 3000 miles the first 4 weeks. Granted some of that was driving from Miami to Houston where I purchased it .. the dealer said your driving it back ! I said yes with a big ass smile !

Need4Spd likes this.
  23. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I’m sure folks will laugh, and that’s okay, but I find heated seats a big plus, especially in the FL winters. My wife and I pop the top and enjoy the night sky with the heat on.

I ended up with pretty much a fully loaded car, next time there’s a few items I could live without.

At the risk of being unpopular, I don’t see the big deal with LED steering wheel. It doesn’t turn on until 5000 RPM, which is hard to do around town without rousing the neighbors. And who can hear the HIFI in a Spider anyway?

I agree year is not as important as condition and options.

24. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I’m a fan of heated seats, too, even though I have a coupe. The LEDs are a personal choice. I prefer them for when driving hard on backroads or the track. The analog tach moves too slowly and is hard to see compared to the LEDs. If your car rarely sees 5000+ rpm, you will not miss them.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

wthensler likes this.
  25. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Just buy the best one you can find with the options you want and don’t worry about the year. It seems people get caught up with the 7 year maintenance program with the 2012 on. Not a big deal. As stated, early models (2010-2011) that haven’t had the ECU updated, have amazing sound that is lost with the updates as with the 2012 and up. Mine has not been updated so I still have the most intoxicating sound that makes the hairs on my arms stand each time I drive it. It’s been two years and I’m absolutely in love with this car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ash Patel likes this.