F50 carbon fibre trim yellowing | FerrariChat

F50 carbon fibre trim yellowing

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Red Sled, Feb 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

My F50 inner door carbon fibre panels are showing signs of yellowing. It isn't uniformly fading but occurring in patches which isn't a great look. I have seen this issue with many other F50's, particularly those that are used, top off.

Is this repairable? Or is it better to let it become part of the "patina"? The car is otherwise original, so this could be a consideration.

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    If I remember correctly, yellowing in carbon fibre is due to UV light getting into the resin and once that happens, it's not repairable.

Red Sled likes this.
  3. ferraripanoz

ferraripanoz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Red Sled and Christian.Fr like this.
  4. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    Nature of the beast.

It can be refinished with a tint to even it out , that is non Oem but can look great.

Bas and Red Sled like this.
  5. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    If it can't be fixed maybe get a tint or wrap guy to put a clear UV film over it. At least it won't get any worse. I have some on bare bits of my F40 to prevent scratches but you wouldn't know it's there.

Red Sled likes this.
  6. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

Thank you for the suggestions gents. In an ideal world, I would love to keep the original piece, but after talking to Macarbon etc, it appears that there is very little that can be done with 1990's carbon fibre whose UV resistance is poor. I was advised that removing the resin and re-coating such old pieces carries risks of a non-OEM look when finished. It may be just a case of learning to live with it into old age!

I have also covered the sills on my F40 with clear film and it works very well.

Thanks again for your ideas.

Bas likes this.
  7. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    If the film works that's what I'd simply do.

Red Sled likes this.
  8. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    Thinking about this further I wonder if a film with a very slight tint to it might not also hide some of the yellowing?

Red Sled likes this.
  9. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

Good question. Tinted film would be a great idea if the panels yellowed uniformly. Unfortunately mine are showing yellowing only on certain patches, making it more difficult.

10. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    Understood, I think I can picture it. My thinking was that perhaps there is a very light tint that at least partially hides or lessens the yellowing without making the rest of the panel look too dark (bare in mind the rest has probably also faded slightly since 1990). It should be very easy and cheap for you to experiment with an automotive wrap/tint guy with a few different strips of tints to see the effect before you commit or not. I have no idea how cooperative these UV wraps or films are to being formed over complex shapes though. Good luck

11. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    You could have them carbon skinned with a lightweight matching weave and then a UV resistant clear coat over the top. That is what they did with the bare carbon Enzo, and also what is done with F40s to get the sunken weave original look back.

Red Sled likes this.
  12. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

Thank you all. Will experiment with these ideas. I hear from another F50 owner that simply replacing them with the OEM part doesn't work as his new panels discoloured within a couple of years. So the factory replacements are not better UV coated it would appear.

13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The real solution would be is to make molds from the current parts (without damaging them preferably if you want to keep the original) and have copies made. 25 years of development says they'll be lighter, higher quality and applied with a better UV protection.

In fact if you do replace parts, even with the original from factory, I'd get the replacements installed for daily use for a fraction of the price (if intention is to sell the car at some point). When you do sell it, install the new factory parts without any damage on....I'm sure there'll be other owners out there willing to shell out a couple of grand for the copied parts and they can store their own parts somewhere where the UV can't touch it, and not worry about scratching the copy parts.

Red Sled likes this.
  14. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

That is a very tempting route given it is easy to swap out the OEM door panels for good quality aftermarket ones. I have done that for a friend who needed a carbon fibre front luggage holder (above the battery) for his F50, and the aftermarket part looks identical to mine, and I have the mould on my shelf..

It seems that the replacement OEM parts haven't yet caught up with UV coatings of the 21st century.

Bas likes this.
  15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Presumably the Italians make the replacement OEM parts to exact spec of the 90s, hence why no decent UV coatings....

16. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

Reminds me of the time a couple of years ago when I needed some seals for the F40 clutch thrust bearings. I was told a new batch was due within a couple of months. They duly arrived, still sealed in a plastic bag with a 1992 warehouse date label!

Ryan S. and Bas like this.
  17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    :D

18. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    In another 20 years, UV damage will be a must have feature to prove authenticity!

Red Sled and Schulz308 like this.
  19. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

That's a very good point. I'll definitely keep the old ones!