Lancia Scorpion Pics and discussion | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Lancia Scorpion Pics and discussion

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by BLUROAD, Sep 20, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kens

kens Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    I cannot wait to see the results. You get an A+ for going down the high budget path.

My Lancia project runs a bit of Ferrari DNA also. The exhaust is a heavily modified F355 muffler. The F355 silencer does not fit and is heavy, yet it seems to sound good and it is stainless steel. Also, utilizing Blu Pozzi for the paint.

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    F40 tail lights are the same as the 308s and I think they’re too big. For me, the one from Opel GT looks proportionately correct and a lot cheaper.

Mang likes this.
  3. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    Anyone have spare Scorpion seats? Fabric condition doesn’t matter, frame and mechanical condition.

4. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 30, 2006
    There are some seat backs with no upholstery on eBay currently, but I don't know of any complete seats. Since the seats are the same as in the 037 Stradale, I suspect values are on the rise and the seats are tough to find. Owners used to put full-on racing seats in Stradales in an effort to make their cars more like the Group B race versions. With 037 prices on the rise, buyers are once again seeking originality.

As for the Ferrari style taillights, to each their own. I feel like the ties to the 029SE and 037 are strong enough that there's no need for Ferrari-esque touches. Of course, you could go to a mesh rear panel and single 850 Coupe tails per side if you wanted to emulate the 037 Corsas.

5. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    I think that the Scorpion and Montecarlo are great looking cars in their own right (both variants), and agree that there is no need for Ferrari-esque touches. Paolo Martin is an accomplished designer, and the Montecarlo/Scorpion stands on its own as a beautiful design.

starmoto and hyenahf like this.
  6. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    I love these cars...I must add one to the hoard.

7. kens

kens Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
  8. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    ghibliman likes this.
  9. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    Two interesting Scorpions for sale in Hemmings right now. Number 1805 (the last Scorpion made), and number 037 (cool for obvious reasons):

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/lancia/scorpion/2230443.html

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/lancia/scorpion/2228995.html

I tend to prefer vehicles to be cosmetically stock, or at least period correct or "in keeping with the spirit"; but I don't mind a lot of what I see on 1805. I'd probably lose the X1/9 wheels in favor of the bow ties or 14" Beta wheels, re-chrome the tail lamp surrounds, put the carpet pieces that belong on the lower door panels, and go back to a stock (or at least different) steering wheel and gear knob . . . but those things are all minor. The blue fabric I am strangely okay with -- it reminds me of some Italian car interiors from the 1980s. Considering what's there -- 2-liter, cams, carbs, gears, suspension, paint, the overall condition, history, and being the very last Scorpion, it has a lot to be desired.

As for the gold one -- early production, appears mostly complete and largely intact, desirable serial number . . . perfect basis for a sympathetic restoration. Has the potential to become a very nice example.

I suspect there is a certain contingency of the "FIAT/Lancia" crowd stuck in 2003 who will moan when they see the asking prices, but I say let the market decide. Original Scorpions and good Scorpions are now rare, and Montecarlo values are (and have been) healthy for a while; there is no reason these sellers shouldn't at least be asking what they are.

Cheers,

Tony K.

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The interior of Scorpions is an acquired taste. I always thought it was what brought the cars down a peg. The exterior can be rather attractive but the interior....

Every one I have seen has rust issues.

11. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    interior rocks... funky 70s modern. let down by the fragile and creaky plastics. like the 308 i get a kick out of folks trying to get out of the car will the hidden release handle... :)

interesting with the alfa 5 lug wheels... why the change in hubs or bolt pattern?

12. kens

kens Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Good question, I have to say it relates to the brake upgrade. Each corner has a disc and fixed Brembo caliper from the front of an Alfa Milano (Alfa 75). The hubs were modified from 4x98 to 5x98 by filling three and drilling, tapping four. Before investing in paint and interior, the brakes proved to be most capable on a track day adventure.

The tires are beginning to get a bit old and I have a lot of wheels that want to be applied. Yet, nothing will be near as light as the Campagnolo wheels which are about 16 lbs.

Did I mention that the brake upgrade is due to the Alfa V6 upgrade? A 3.0 24V from a 2002 Lancia Thesis has been implanted.

hyenahf likes this.
  13. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    starmoto, Rory J, hyenahf and 2 others like this.
  14. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    I like the Blaupunkt equalizer on a stalk!

miketuason likes this.
  15. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    mikes period correct personal steering wheel is cool as well

miketuason likes this.
  16. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    nice, ive seen one of the really early afla v6 red monte conversions in England about 20yrs ago... it was very nicely done as well.

have you tried the alfa gtv6 ronal A1 dealer option 15x7s? they fit nice and arent too heavy. i had the alfetta 4x98 version on mine. i like em since they are an inch wider and the offset work perfectly.

many years ago, i used to track my scorp as well and you are correct, the brakes on a S1 are awful and down right dangerous. i tried removing the booster to the fronts and regain rear balance with a 124 caliper. not an ideal set up unless you a have twin MC and an adjustable proportion valve. now i hear there are all sorts of brake conversions available. it sure would have made my life easier :)

thankfully i removed about 200lbs to help out the brakes. surprisingly I found the scorp was a pretty quick little car on the circuit with great turn in, good traction and a very nimble chassis in were u can dial in whatever slip angle you want in or out of a corner. for a mid engine car to "back it in or trail brake" with ease was pretty impressive though it can still bite you. i recall by one time i was trying to knock a cone off an exit of the corner with the rear end of the car it! It easily outpaced b18 integras, e36 bmw, and 1.8 miatas that were prevalent at the time. mine was juiced up to 130-160hp? who knows i wish i would have dyno'ed it.

kens likes this.
  17. Beek

Beek Rookie

Nov 21, 2011
  18. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  19. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    #194 Beta Scorpion, Jan 4, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
    This poor car has been sitting for years waiting for me to tackle the fuel lines (were all original) and brake booster. I got all the fuel lines replaced and am working on the booster.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rory J, Bertocchi and kens like this.
  20. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    Rebuilding the brake booster. Now looking for someone to re-plate the body with yellow zinc. I could not find any place to do this back in 2008 when I re-build the carbs on my 308 and still can't find this service.

On the 308 I wound up using the Eastman gold paint. Probably wind up doing the same here.

I'd like it to look like the one posted here: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/137145958/

21. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
  22. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    Thank you for the link, I'll check it out.

23. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    There are no good places to prop this car up on 4 jack stands, so I'm using these wheel stands in order to get all 4 wheels to the restoration shop.
    I made the mistake of sending two wheels at a time to be refinished for my 308 and two of them came back slightly different color than the other two,

24. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
  25. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    As predicted, the Bonaldi-Alfa booster rebuild kit did not come with the tiny seals for the little piston. In my case, the originals were still in good shape.

Externally the Alfa and Lancia/Lamborghini Bonaldi boosters are similar except for the number of mounting studs. Internally the differences are as listed below. So the Alfa style rebuild kit has everything except those two small seals.

Bonalid-Alfa = two mounting studs, 3/8 -24 flare nut threads and single seal on small piston. [Available new or reproduction]
    Bonaldi-Lancia/Lamborghini = three mounting studs, 10mm 1.25 flare nut threads and two seals on small piston. [Not available] Image Unavailable, Please Login