Cars on 5th. Naples Feb 9 2019 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Cars on 5th. Naples Feb 9 2019

Discussion in 'Florida' started by ross, Feb 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Pics we need pics.

Dave rocks and Smiles like this.
  2. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    This is the best show in SW Florida. I have been to this show several times over the last five years. Absolutely Love It !!! Hate to say (please don't throw rocks) I would never put any of my cars in that show due to the huge crowds, baby strollers, people not keeping their kids respectful. etc. Risk of damage is not worth it. The venue really has a great atmosphere but it is quit tight. I do really enjoy seeing all the great cars that are brought out each year

3. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
  4. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    The cars on fifth show is just amazing. I am very proud of our work. It took years of effort to make this event possible. The city of Naples was dead set against the concept from the beginning. I give Kim Pemberton credit for the creation of the show which started on 3rd street south, but myself and Steve Cantera took the show to 5th avenue. Tom O'Riordan and the volunteers have propelled it to the next level. This show is very unique. It is all for charity. All the workers are volunteers and every dime goes to a good cause. Thank you for everyone who took the time out of their busy lives to participate in the show.
    I cannot wait for next year.

smtrx, craterface and Dave rocks like this.
  5. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    You guys do an amazing job.
    Given the changes in this year’s event the glitches were minimal, and in my case, speedily fixed by some great volunteers.
    Thanks so much.

6. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
    any here own the 512BB that was there?

7. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Hi Tony,
    Yup. That is my BB512 that was on display in front of Ocean Prime. Since I had a lot of show responsibilities I was not able to spend any time near my car. It's a pretty amazing Boxer.

Eforg23 and VIZSLA like this.
  8. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Nice boxer steve!
    Is that the one you had years ago?
    Thanks for all your efforts and thanks to Tom and Greg as well. Great event and we all enjoyed it tremendously!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    My dad won best in show for the British car category. This is the Austin Healey 100 that we brought back from the dead after the fire. It just got back from Tzikuris a week ago. Pretty confident this is a 100 point car now. We intend to show it at Amelia next year.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

craterface, NeuroBeaker and andy308 like this.
  10. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    That is stunning Ross, congrats!

ross likes this.
  11. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    btw, i spoke to the Karma guys a bit since i had a few questions (they could not answer), and they told me they had sold 11 over the day.....my guess is they mean they have 11 people ready for a drive and a discussion, but nevertheless.....

12. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Yes it’s the same BB. Caribou Engineering enhanced adding 110 HP and lowered suspension. Great induction roar of the triple barrel Webers right behind your head!!

While many of us volunteers did our part Tom O’Riordan was the real driver that worked so hard to make this such a great show.

13. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    My favorite part of that car is how well the windows work! ;)

14. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Ross....my dear friend Bill owns a Healy along with 4 classic Corvettes, 3 FERRARI’s, Spyker, XKE, and more. He and I were the judging team for the different classes. However unlike serious detail judging shows we take a different approach. For the classic AACA club although there were 2 cars with better presentation we chose the Bentley 4-1/2 liter as class winner. When the owner said he drove 3500 miles through 6 countries in Europe he got the nod as AACA Best in Show. And your Dad resurrecting the Healy from the ashes is what gives us inspiration to reward the enthusiasts that have the drive to do what most would never consider. Our small judging group focuses not on points for the car but the life of the owner and the car that is a passion.

15. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    and that sounds like the right way to go ! thanks ! :)

16. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Out of curiosity, do you put any weight on how hard or how easy a car is to restore? Or parts availability?

Most pieces of my ‘61 Corvette are currently being reproduced very accurately, and are available from mail order companies like Corvette Central. It’s a lot easier to restore the Corvette than the Bentley.

Matt

17. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    this is a fair point.
    some cars have a huge support network of oem parts, repop parts, knowledgeable techs, clubs etc - like corvettes or porsches.
    the healey has parts, but the guys who actually know how the car gets put together correctly as per original specs.....thats a whole different deal. you have to find them, and they arent cheap.
    on even more obscure cars it becomes a nightmare/labor of love. the fisker for example - i currently have to drive 300 miles to a tech (which is not as bad as some i know), and parts are either hard to come by or impossible. (other parts are just GM and are easy).

so the effort to get an obscure car to concourse standard is a big deal.

btw, on that subject, did anybody else talk to the fellow with the ISO Grifo? that was a first gen car with the low hood - i liked it very much. he told me all about the history and what he had to do to bring it into the usa etc. he has a gm engine in there so that part is not hard, but the rest of it is practically bespoke. now that can also be a less arduous job since he can just make some parts - and, which concourse judge knows enough about the model ? but that car is a labor of love for him for sure.

18. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Ross and Matt......sorry if I was less than clear in what made our decisions regarding Best in [club] Show award. First to qualify the entry must be in one of the clubs that is in the show. We have AACA, the Porsche club of Naples, Corvette Club of Naples, British Car Club of SWFL, Cool Cruisers club, Muscle Car club and of course the Ferrari Club of America Naples Chapter. Each award must be judged and awarded only to a member of these clubs. Even if you have a car worthy of the award but you are not a member of one of the participating clubs then I can't make that selection. I was very impressed with the Iso Griffo and the Aston Martin on Sugden Plaza. But unless we create an "at-large" award it won't happen.
    Regarding the availability of parts for or ease of restoration you guys are thinking too hard. Cars on 5th is not about awards nor best cars. It's about the atmosphere and eclectic mix of cars and their proud owners that makes the show special. You don't have to be a car aficionado to appreciate what this event is all about. I watch people and their expressions. I get so many thank you compliments from non-car attendees. This show is more of a special happening than it is a car show. Don't take the Best in Show awards too seriously. I made picks that were more about the enthusiast than the car. A good friend asked me why I picked a 355 Spider for the Best Ferrari. I explained that among the sea of new red Ferraris the simple blue 355 stood out. A 6 spd that the owner drives the heck out of. Was it the best car? Definitely not. Was it unique? Absolutely. Does the car get driven? Yes it does. Not much different than the Bentley 4-1/2 liter that was not near the condition of two other AACA cars.

Hope I didn't confuse you. This is a great event that is an experience. Awards are just a simple add to recognize an owner that drives or does something special.....like your dad resurrecting the Healey from the ashes.

Smiles and ross like this.
  19. Redrrari

Redrrari Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Florida
    Sorry I did not see your post prior to the weekend. The show was a great time! Looking forward to it next year, but I heard they may not have it next year. Sounds like there are some members on this point that put the show on. Maybe you can clarify.

20. Redrrari

Redrrari Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Florida
    I agree, Great show, but I would not put my car in the show.

21. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i understood this from the get go. no confusion. :)
    my comments about the iso were just because i genuinely liked the car and the owner, and respected his dedication to the car.