DIY Ferrari 360 Titanium Power Steering Cap | FerrariChat

DIY Ferrari 360 Titanium Power Steering Cap

Discussion in '360/430' started by Bonefingah, Feb 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bonefingah

Bonefingah Rookie

Sep 10, 2018
    Cologne, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Linch
    After too much time-wasting, trying to find an aftermarket 360 Titanium Power Steering cap, I decided to DIY it. This thread is created with the hopes that it will help and/or motivate someone else with similar desires...

I started buy buying two F430 Titanium fuel caps from the local Ferrari dealer and who would have EVER thought to get a bangin' deal at the dealer?! 100 Euro plus tax a piece which amounts to about $150 each. The most inexpensive one on eBay is $490 so yay for me.

Part number is: 70001217

I made one for the oil cap as well and will post a link to that after I write it, after this one. That one is a tad more involved...

- First, remove the two roll pins in the original cap (I drilled them out).

- Remove the clip from the 430 fuel cap and disassemble it, until only the titanium and aluminum parts remain.

- Thread the plastic cap back onto your car Power Steering reservoir and mark the top (so you can later ensure the "Cavallino" is prancing upright and not playing dead bug).

- Lay the plastic cap onto the titanium cap and eyeball which of the plastic bits (wings) you will need to Dremel off of the original cap (it will only be 4 of the 8 wings. I marked them with an "X'", using a silver Sharpie.

- Dremel off the plastic. The plastic will melt and spit during cutting. WEAR EYE PROTECTION!

- The original cap has an IMPORTANT off-gas port. Plug that port with something you can later pull out while the glue is hardening. This is just to ensure you don't accidentally get something in said port.

- Hand-fit everything to make sure it's ready for the irreversible gluing step.

- Double-check the Cavallino is indexed to your earlier-made "up marker"!

- Glue the original plastic cap into the new titanium cap, ensuring the off-gas port is clear and the two caps are flush. I did this by balancing the cap onto the dipstick portion and eyeballing that the titanium cap was flush with the surface. It would suck to have a cool cap that is cocked-off when installed...

- Drink victory cocktail.

I hope this helped someone.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

imahorse, whatheheck and tifosi101 like this.
  2. Bonefingah

Bonefingah Rookie

Sep 10, 2018
    Cologne, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Linch
    whatheheck likes this.
  3. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    That a whole lot of horses you have there just my very humble opinion, I have always thought less is best

Flea7 likes this.
  4. Bonefingah

Bonefingah Rookie

Sep 10, 2018
    Cologne, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Linch
    About 400 of them... ;)

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bet if you inserted the caps first and marked them before gluing, you could get the Cavallinos to line up for those who are really anal.

RANDY6005 likes this.
  6. Bonefingah

Bonefingah Rookie

Sep 10, 2018
    Cologne, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Linch
    That's exactly what I wrote for you to do. The reason they don't line up perfecty is because the glue hadn't set yet when I took the pictures and I didn't want to torque them out of alignment by tightening them...

7. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I like it. Good work.

8. Bonefingah

Bonefingah Rookie

Sep 10, 2018
    Cologne, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Linch
    Thanks RedNeck!

9. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Sweet!

Sent from my Galaxy

10. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    Now if you could figure only figure out how to convert the coolant reservoir Cap

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    That was done by somebody on FChat, but I believe he used an aluminum fuel cap over the rad cap.

12. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    That was me...I cut the oem neck off the radiator overflow bottle and welded on a standard STANT style fitting so I could use standard STANT raditor caps that do not fail. Then cut an OEM oil cap and embeded the STANT cap into the OEM oilcap.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bonefingah likes this.
  13. Bonefingah

Bonefingah Rookie

Sep 10, 2018
    Cologne, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Linch
    NICE job Fatbillybob! Never even crossed my mind to do something like that...