Planning to buy a Ferrari by 2022. Which one? | FerrariChat

Planning to buy a Ferrari by 2022. Which one?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by gowthamn, Feb 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Currently have Porsche GT3 RS. It will always be my track car. I am looking to buy a Ferrari as a fun road car. Due to the long wait times I experienced in getting the GT3 RS (5 years), I am starting to plan early for my Ferrari.

I have the following requirements and currently no Ferrari meets it. Will there be any future Ferrari that might meet it?

• Mid or Rear engine car
    • Engine: One of the following:
      • NA Hybrid
      • NA
      • Turbo Hybrid
    • Minimum of 8 cylinders
    • Need Tailor made upgrades
    • Non Production limited car
    • Price around Half Million

Any rumors on which car might meet these requirements. Ferrari has said they will announce 15 new models.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    #2 greyboxer, Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    Non-production limited or non production-limited ?

If its a limited car then dream on both from a cost and a dealer-visibility point of view (as has been hinted in the previous threads to which you have contributed altho they seemed to suggest you were able to purchase immediately)

If its a standard car then put your name down and start saving for an 812 replacement (not exactly rear engined but still....)

3. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    I mean a car which a first time Ferrari buyer can get. Not a car which is usually allocated to people who has bought several cars in the past.

The replacement to the 812 will be mid engine? I though it will be front engine.

4. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    If there's no Ferrari that meets your needs why would you want a Ferrari?

LightGuy, twcferrari and paulchua like this.
  5. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Well - knowing you have 3 years to plan, do research, search the dozens of potential sale sites to help determine what you might want. I would do the research first, come back with options you are thinking once you are a bit closer to the actual buying time.. And we can all sound off with potential answers.

The reason you will likely get a few more snarky answers, is that we get a lot of people that will say - "Hey I want to buy a ferrari in the next 10 years, what should I get". No different than if someone asks you "I want to buy a porsche, what should I get". You really don't know where to start.

paulchua likes this.
  6. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    16 m is pretty close.

then get in line for a pista aperta.

in the 12's, you might want to get a 550 barchetta, or a superamerica.

OR, you do what i would love to do someday, and that is chop the roof off a 599 or a 612.

like this for example:
    [​IMG]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

anunakki, Christian.Fr and paulchua like this.
  7. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Owned any Richard Straman creations Ross ?

8. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i have not. i think i have seen a couple, and they are pretty well done.

paulchua likes this.
  9. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    what Ferrari should I get ? that doesnt seem like question someone really wants Ferrari would ask I have loved Ferrari since im young boy and can tell you for every year what Ferrari I want or dont want

paulchua likes this.
  10. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Maybe he's just normal, not like the rest of us,:)

AshAP, paulchua and ginoBBi512 like this.
  11. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    458 special.

12. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    There is no car currently in production which meets these requirements. That is the problem. So I posted here to.know more about rumored upcoming cars.

13. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Well rumors are just that....rumors...2022 is impossible to predict

paulchua and Boomhauer like this.
  14. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    why would someone wait 3 years ? just go buy F40 you want to really know Ferrari thats what i buy if deep pockets forget about the rest lol
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

paulchua likes this.
  15. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    i think today most who buy new Ferrari dont care about the mark or drive experience present company excluded my 328 is no trailer queen I drive it Ferrari in my blood

16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hey Gowtham, welcome to the community.

Just curious, in a recent thread you said you have to wait 5 years for a GT3 RS, but are happy to do it because you'll get it at MSRP.

I always thought this was odd since I've never in my life heard of a 5 year wait in any brand for a specific car. Even the deposit my brother put down for roadster 2.0 is 2 years.

What did you do to get in front of the line? Asking because it would be great info for folks that are in a similar situation.

Be well.

17. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    I did not want to pay over MSRP and I had no history with the dealer in buying Porsches. He said he can add me to the line but it will be a long wait. He also said that I will not be able to get the current generation because of the length if the queue.

He said historically it was 4 years for GT3, 5 for GT3 RS and 8 years for GT2RS

18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Also, since you had to wait 5 years, I assume you got the 997.2.

How did you feel while waiting for 5 years that you had to forgo the 991.1 and 991.2?

To me it's like having to wait for you build of a Scud and see the Speciale and Pista go to your car buddies...that would be very frustrating for me, not sure how you put up with it?

19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    8 years huh?

Good to know. Appreciate it.

:)

I'll let my friends know that they should plan for 2027 to get their cars.

20. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    No, whenever its my turn I get an allocation for the current gen. Not previous gen.

21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Awesome!! Really appreciate the info. What do you think of flame potential out of the exhausts? Does that matter in your list of requirements? The reason I ask is I've talked to folks where the frequency of flames out of the exhausts is very important.

22. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Did you see Dr. Kita's 599?

calder1 likes this.
  23. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Look mate I'm sure you're genuinely looking for info on upcoming models, but literally every car Ferrari has made in the last few decades meets your requirements. They all have more than 8 cylinders, are front- or mid-engined, and have one of your powertrain preferences, and with some tailor-made options the price will be right on what you're trying to spend.

Maybe sharing some of the reasons you're looking for a Ferrari in the first place, intended use, etc would further the discussion.

NeuroBeaker and paulchua like this.
  24. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Flame? No. I am not looking for that at all.

paulchua likes this.
  25. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    I am not looking at used cars. I know there are many old models which would meet what I am looking for.
    I have a track only car. I also have a Boxster which I use for fun driving in hilly areas.
    I am looking to replace the Boxster. Looking for something which has more power, better sound and most importantly luxurious design and materials.

AshAP likes this.