430 - F430 F1 issue when cold | FerrariChat

430 F430 F1 issue when cold

Discussion in '360/430' started by Guidosga, Feb 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Guidosga

Guidosga Rookie

Jun 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Guido Sgaravatto
    Hello everyone,
    I wander if anybody had this problem: when I don’t use the car for a while I have the red gear warning and the car doesn’t shift beyond the 2nd gear. Then after 5 to 10 minutes the light goes off and everything work just fine. The interesting thing is that I found out that I don’t even need to start the engine, it’s enough to turn the ignition on, wait a few minutes and all is back to normal....any idea?
    Thanks a lot

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

not quite understanding "i dont even need to start the engine, it's enough to turn the ignition on, wait a few min and all is back to normal,"

so engine isn't running and you saw everything back to normal?

3. Guidosga

Guidosga Rookie

Jun 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Guido Sgaravatto
    Exactly! I am surprised myself as well.... I have noticed that leaving the ignition on with the engine off solves the problem after a few minutes. It makes me think of some software related malfunction, but I am not competent enough to say. And it happens all the times

4. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    Assuming it’s priming the pump and heating up the F1 fluid. Usually when it’s cold and you don’t have the F1 fluid topped off it can cause weird things as the fluid hasn’t heated up yet. If you haven’t had an F1 fluid flush recently I would get one done. If you have I would take it in to get it topped off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

i used to flatbed my car to a place where its normally -20 degrees F.

upon swtich key to "ON", the battery died.
    replaced a new battery, then f1 warning light comes on, and stayed there.
    put the car indoor for 10 hours. then everything's back normal again.

i guess my atf just freeezed up????

6. Guidosga

Guidosga Rookie

Jun 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Guido Sgaravatto
  7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Be carefull you understand how to check the level, dont go overfilling it

8. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    Fluid flush is a big deal on these cars. It should solve the problem. Don't drive the car with warning light on.

9. Guidosga

Guidosga Rookie

Jun 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Guido Sgaravatto
    Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.... it looks like the problem is solved! I checked the F1 fluid level, it was low and orange in color. Unfortunately the only Ferrari shop is 3 hours away, I live on an island....so I did what I read on some other post: emptied the reservoir (about 250 cc) and fill it up with the new oil, I bought a couple of liters of Shell Spirax, drive a few miles and repeat the procedure. I did it 6 times already so I assume the the oil is almost all new, anyway after the fist time the message disappeared. On top of that the shifting is much faster and smoother. The car has 36000 km and on the maintenance record I didn’t find anything concerning the F1 oil, probably it was still the original.

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Be careful not to fully empty the tank, in case you get air into it