Planning to buy a Ferrari by 2022. Which one? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Planning to buy a Ferrari by 2022. Which one?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by gowthamn, Feb 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    Then you want a V12, not a mid-rear engine car. If you aren't tracking the car nothing is like the V12 touring models. So get your deposit in for whatever the replacement is in 2022 for the Superfast.

paulchua and gowthamn like this.
  2. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Seattle roads are a lot different than Arizona roads. In my opinion.

arizonaitalian and paulchua like this.
  3. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    Track != road no matter what the road is. For road driving you want comfort and style. For the track you want to be able to be super nimble at the edge. They just aren't the same thing.

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #29 paulchua, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    gowthamn,

So if I understand you correctly, the situation you are in is you own a previous Gen GT3 RS and are on the list for the (current next gen, no, you meant current ) GT3 RS which will be getting in 2024.

Since you exclusively use your Porsches to track, you want a more livable (has to be New from the factory so you can customize it) Ferrari that is either Hybrid or NA that has to be a special edition under 1/2 M to replace your Boxster.

You can do this by purchasing multiple mainstream models along with the special edition. You then sell those said 'mainstream' models or reconsign them at the dealer. I can easily facilitate the discussion with a dealer that will do just that.

PM me and let's get the ball rolling, sounds like you are very serious, it's good to start that relationship now and put down some deposits so we can ensure you get your limited edition Ferrari.

I'll be on the lookout for your PM soon! and no need to thank me, it's the least I can do for a fellow Ferrarista.

Carnut and arizonaitalian like this.
  5. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Ryan..., LARRYH, ross and 3 others like this.
  6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
  7. gef3rd

gef3rd Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 21, 2009
    Palos Verdes Estates
    Full Name:
    George
    #32 gef3rd, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    Gowthamn,

I think you need to rethink your strategy. I have numerous friends who have put deposits down on Porsche models. Right now they have deposits down on the GT4, GT4RS, and the 992 versions of the GT3, GT3RS, and GT2RS. Many, like you, will have to wait between 1 and 5 plus years for those cars. Porsche dealers sell more cars. They can afford to take deposits from new customers and still take care of their oldest and best customers. I’ve never put a deposit down on a new Porsche until I actually spec’d the car. I’m sure there were deposits down “ahead of me” but the dealer has always taken care of me.

Buying a new Ferrari is different. You can’t just go in and be the first to put a deposit down on a newly announced model. Most, if not all, Ferrari dealers won’t even take a deposit unless it’s on a current, less in demand model. I would start by developing a relationship with your local Ferrari dealer(s). Tell them what you’re looking for and what your purchase timeframe is. Your best bet in achieving your goal would be to buy a used model first. In exchange negotiate some type of preferred treatment (ie early allocation) on a new model.

You have a relatively long lead time. I imagine the economy will experience a downturn here within the next several years. If that’s the case you may be able to go in and order a new car. In late 2008/2009 dealers had plenty of cars with no buyers. Be ready in case history repeats itself.

Make sure you go to any events sponsored by your local Ferrari dealer. I would also read as much as you can on this forum. There is an incredible amount of knowledge and experience on here. Most members readily share their knowledge and provide sound advice. You may occasionally experience some negative comments. Just try to avoid engaging if/when you feel people are trying to bait you into an argument.

Congrats on the RS. Good luck on pursuing your dream.

George

LARRYH, paulchua and gowthamn like this.
  8. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    @gef3rd
    If I am looking to buy the replacement of the 812, which is not a limited production car, then do I have to appease the dealer by buying another car which I don't want? Can a first time Ferrari buyer get an allocation directly?

9. gef3rd

gef3rd Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 21, 2009
    Palos Verdes Estates
    Full Name:
    George
    The first cars usually go to established clients. That being said, if you went and bought a Lusso, Portofino, etc., you could leapfrog quite a few people. Read through this thread to see how a member received an early Pista allocation: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/pista-allocation.570723/page-23#post-145974476 .

The 812 is an incredible car. That being said, quite a few people prefer the styling of its predecessor, the F12. Pictures and specs of the 812 replacement will be out months before you can order one for US delivery. Just be patient. Develop a relationship with your dealer. You should consider signing up for a Ferrari Driving School. This will help establish your profile with your dealer.

gowthamn likes this.
  10. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
  11. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    What you'll be negotiating about is how many cars you don't want that you have to buy before you get the car you want to buy. ;)

paulchua likes this.
  12. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Sorry, but as a first time buyer there will be very little choice as to what car you will be able to buy. I see you have been here long enough to know that it usually takes a few used cars from one dealer to even get on the list (not that means you will get a build of your own), so I suggest you start your relationship now and go buy a used 360/430 that you will likely not loose much on, then trade it for another car at the same dealer in about 6 months. That will show them you go through cars quickly, dealers like that. I have bought around 20 cars from my local dealer, and I am at a point where I can get any car they can if I want it. I have had 43 Porsche's and I have never built a single one of them, though Porsche did send me a nice gift a few years ago after a phone call I had with their customer service team (we discussed all the cars I've had), which were very nice by the way. I was considering (I am always considering something) a F12, but after driving one I realized that there really is no way (at least around here) to ever get close to using the car the way it should be used, so I am installing a piggy back unit (I can control the power increases using an app) and an exhaust into my California T. Cars must have purposes (I bought track car last week) for me, and I doubt under normal street driving you can really feel much difference in what a F12 and a 812 can do. If it is merely about capability the F12 is damn good, if it is about look I have one of something very few others have, then I suggest you prepare for a very long wait and you will need as it has been said here, to buy a lot of cars you do not want first. That is the way it works with these cars, if you want to be a part of it, you have to play by the rules of the game so to speak.

13. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    @Carnut
    I did not know we had to buy cars I did not want even to get a regular car which is not production limited. When I went to the dealer, he was ready to sell me the 488 GTB he had with him immediately. He even offered me to try and get a new allocation if I wanted it custom built. I thought only limited production cars like Pista are difficult to get.

14. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Can't slip that in without telling us what it was!

ZF123 likes this.
  15. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
  16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    XENU, no go, OP explicitly said it has to be brand new. Preferably under 1/2 Million because it has to be custom made for him to replace his Boxster.

Also, he made it clear it has to be a limited edition, I think this F22 and F15 is just the 'standard' models?

17. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    No. I am NOT looking for a limited edition car.

18. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    #43 BOKE, Feb 15, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    You have to buy used first. Then you can get the new models. First, you get the Kahkis, then you get the job, then you get the Ferrari, and then you get the hot chicks. Has anybody got the hot chicks from owning a Ferrari??? Six cars over a span of 25+ years and no FerrariPunnani for me. But once I get the F-35, look out.

paulchua likes this.
  19. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    I would suggest you look into late 355 GTS F1 cars. They will be still be changing hands in your price range in 2022 if you are lucky. Buy cars that appreciate.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

paulchua likes this.
  20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    gowthamn,

in full seriousness, I guess this is why I have a problem will your posts.

21. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Yes, non production limited is a car that is not production limited right? I cleared the doubt in the 3rd post.

paulchua likes this.
  22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I saw that, but then I also saw this post afterwards with you saying you didn't want a regular production car, but something like a Pista. That's why you forgone the 488.

But no matter, my apologies. In your list of requirements, in that point, you were using a double negative.

Like if I said 'I don't not like Ferrari'

Appreciate the clarification!!

gowthamn likes this.
  23. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    That is not the norm, not at all, unless your dealer has a huge allocation or you are going to pay over sticker. Most dealers lists of buyers far exceeds their allocations. The car was a 2018 718 gearshift Cayman, I am going to use as a track car once I am done modifying it.

24. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Thanks a lot guys. People are definitely helpful here compared to some of the Porsche forums I have used before.

paulchua likes this.
  25. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Here is my buddy's track car. His shop is in Atlanta if you want a hookup.

Carnut likes this.