Porfirio Rubirosa | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Porfirio Rubirosa

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by matumorales, Sep 23, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Incorrect.
    That was chassis #0518 M of Paul Kunkel and has nothing to do with #0440 MD.

Marcel Massini

2. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    bryan, did you run your car in the 2011 mille miglie by chance? it looks very familiar.

3. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    No, if you are referring to a French Racing Blue 500 Mondial, Series II, lt is a sister car series II 500 Mondial - 0564(0424)MD; In 2011 it was owned by Pierre Mellinger, who painstakingly removed 50 years and several layers of subsequent paint to reveal the original blue. I believe M. Mellinger ran the MM twice in 0564(0424)MD.

The first owner of 0564 was a French privateer, M. Dupont; hence the FRB. The number 8 was the number it wore when it appeared for its first race, the 12 Hours de Hyeres. The number 8 on our car is what it wore when it finished first in class at the first GP of Venezuela. So, yes, as confusing at is is, there are two French Racing Blue series II 500 Mondials out there wearing number 8. Our seats are red while 0564's are black. Even more confusing is that the two cars, 0556MD and 0564MD were both in the 1955 12 Hours de Hyeres race; ours was wearing #10.

0564MD now has a new owner in Europe whose name I will not reveal, since I do not know if he wishes to remain anonymous. I understand that he intends to preserve M. Mellinger's handiwork!

4. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Prior to Mellinger the car was owned by Dr. Oliver Mayerhofer from Düsseldorf, Germany.

5. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007

This summer it was shown in the Chubb concours in the UK with its current owner, so I guess it is increasingly difficult to remain anonymous,,those days!

The most significant thing in the life of this car was that it stayed with Ferrari/Monza museum and then Jean Francois Dumontant for 20 years each. After 40 years, in the mid nineties, people and subsequent owners were much more respectful of originality and this is how it escaped full retauration.

Still the erasing of the red top coat that came from the understanding of what Neil Twyman had done with the ex Dutch royal family Alfa Romeo 2900 spyder was a turning point in its history and aspect as it was red before that.

6. michi

michi Karting

Oct 27, 2010
    Germany
    0644 mdtr is lost. Engine of 0644 is in 0536 md since 1957.
    Michi

7. matumorales

matumorales Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Asunción, Paraguay
    Full Name:
    Daniel Morales
    Wait; wasn't that car fitted with a V12 in 1957?

8. michi

michi Karting

Oct 27, 2010
    Germany
    No, 0536 has Engine 0644 since 1957, and raced with that config until 1962. there was Never a v12 Or even a American V8 installed.

9. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    wow! how do you guys keep track of all this !!
    thanks tho, that was very interesting. and accurate as far memory serves me.

10. matumorales

matumorales Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Asunción, Paraguay
    Full Name:
    Daniel Morales
    Calling Mr. Marcel Massini! Marcel, do you have any input on this information?

11. michi

michi Karting

Oct 27, 2010
    Germany
    My Source is FC. After Their Research in 2010 they documented that the Engine in 0536 is the One from missing ( and destroyed) 0644, which was installed in 1957.

12. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Thanks much.Barchetta has it right for 0518M and wrong for 0440MD. If I knew who or how to contact at Barchetta we could get this corrected. The 2013 Barchetta pages of 0440MD still show the Brooks M.M. listings quoting "MM89 p 166 p95" tongascrew

13. Gianni Serazzi

Feb 23, 2013
    Full Name:
    In memory of Tom
    Actually the car after the incident was purchased by Tom Meade.

14. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I come across so many cars that some historian says firmly that was destroyed (such as the Bondurant GT40 targa he flipped on its side in the targa--you can see it in vintage racing today) I wanted to check again on this road car--if everyone agrees it was totalled and the parts salvaged. It doesn't look like a total to me.
    Also I am the only one I know who doesn't like the thought of owning a car that someone has been killed in, because if it was a single car accident I never know if it has some wierd quirk that causes it to go out of control that no one knows about. Maybe I am superstitious. In this case he was avoiding another car so that takes some of the worry out of it that it has a quirk unknown except to those who died discovering the quirk. Joe Scalzo once wrote an article about malevolent race cars that try to kill you.

15. Gianni Serazzi

Feb 23, 2013
    Full Name:
    In memory of Tom
    Dears,
    as mentioned the car was purchased by Tom Meade. It was put away for storage as well, as several others, that means the engine was removed and many pieces were removed. I am trying with the help of Ferrari to understand if the original engine is still in our possession as there are a couple 250s monoblocchi that are in bad shape but with the internal numbers we should understand if it's one of them. As per the rest of the cars, this also will be restored and brought to the Ferrari museum. It is however a lower priority compared to other cars that are more of interest that will be restored first.

Thank you

16. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    Umm, I disagree. Not quite sure why owning a 300sl makes you the expert on this, or at least there are another 1,500 experts out there!

17. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    As everyone knows, I used to own 0438MD, a PF long-nose Mondial. I think it was that car that I saw our subject race at Santa Barbara, with ZsaZsa in attendance. I have been told that the current owner is Toby B., but I have written him with no response. I have something that should go with the car. I'm not sure whether he just doesn't care, or whether I have a bad address for him. If anyone knows him, tell him to e-mail me.

18. Gianni Serazzi

Feb 23, 2013
    Full Name:
    In memory of Tom
    The car #1561GT was purchased by Tom Meade that wanted to use it for a Thomassima. The car is still in Tom Meade estate as noted in Barchetta.cc

19. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    More pictures about Porfirio Rubirosa.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Actress Zsa Zsa Gabor with Porfirio Rubirosa in a nightclub event at the Mocambo nightclub, 1954 Los Angeles

February 1958

250 PF
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Here before the race in Florida near his Vignale and Mr Ulmann.
    -----—----------------------
    Mercedes

Yvelines, Sonchamp (France ouest of Paris ) during his wedding with Odile Rodin.
    ©Paris Match

donv, Tenney, lgs and 1 other person like this.
  20. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Six years after his posting, this is my own update of Matumorales' list which no doubt has some errors but ,if it leads to one heretofore unknown Rubirosa -Ferrari connection, it's worth running it

Road Cars:

* 250 GT Cabriolet Series II (#1561GT) - Car in which he died. Unknown current status.
    * 250 GT PF Cabriolet SI (#0783GT) - Gift from Doris Duke? Now owned by Joe Hayes.

Race Cars:

166AM ( #0328M) Raced at 12 Hours of Rheims 1953

166MM (#0050) - Raced at LeMans 1950

'53 166MM (#0341MM or 0328M) raced at Rheims 12 hour

375MM PF Berlinetta (#0380AM) - Raced at LeMans 1954. Presumed to be destroyed.

625 LM Spyder Touring (#0644MDTR) - Raced at GP of Venezuela 1956. Unknown current status

500 Mondial Series II (#0556MD) - Raced at Nassau 1955 and Sebring 1956. Sold by Gooding 2018

500 TRC Spyder Scaglietti (#0660 MDTR) - Raced at 12 Hours Sebring 1958. Unknown current status.

500 Mondial Spyder Scaglietti (#0464MD) - Gift from Barbara Hutton. Raced at Carrera Panamericana. Unknown current status.

1954 500 Monza spyder PF raced at Santa Barbara blue in color #0580MD sold at Bonhams

1954 500 Series II Mondial #064MD2)

75O Monza S #0498M George Tilp put an Offy in it raced by Charlie Kolb on SCCA

* Model? (#0438MD) - Owned by a short period of time. (Race info? - current status?)

* Model? (#0440MD) - Raced at Sebring 1957. Unknown current status.

21. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    No Ferrari with serial number 0341 MM exists.

Marcel Massini

22. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    ???

23. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    …...064MD2)..……

???

Marcel Massini

24. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
  25. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    More found...if I can just find out where Santo Domingo is...from a websitecalled Casadecampoliving.com:
    "

Santo Domingo’s recent press conference for the highly anticipated film “Rubirosa” sponsored by ClaroRD and held at their corporate headquarters was a star-studded event. Members of all forms of press, be it newspaper, online publications, and even movie theater websites such as cine.com.do, rushed to the stage on which the producers of the movie including Sixto Inchaustegui, Direccion General de Cine Chairman Yvette Marichal, and executive producer and star of the film Manolo Cardona spilled the beans on the upcoming historical drama.

As it turns out, the very handsome Cardona did confirm that it will be a three-film series which will be available in many venues including Claro Video. The film will cover several decades in telling the intricate and almost unbelievable story of the Dominican Republic’s and perhaps the world’s greatest lover of women. Producer Sixto Inchausteui went on to highlight the fact that Porfirio was not just a seeker of the high-life but that these films will also depict the darker and more dramatic eras of his life."

(like hiding under the bed in one scene--added comment by me...)