EVO Review of 812 | FerrariChat

EVO Review of 812

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by 575joe, Jul 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 575joe

575joe Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006
    Nice review .
    I have pasted some highlights below.

http://www.evo.co.uk/ferrari/812-superfast

As ever with a Ferrari it’s the sound that hooks you first, and the higher you rev the 812, the more magnificent it gets. But the pure performance of the Superfast in a straight line, and the traction it somehow manages to generate, even on quite bumpy roads, is what leaves you with the deepest impression of all. It feels nothing short of rabid in a straight line, with the kind of throttle response that only ever comes from a big, atmospheric engine that revs high and hits hard, everywhere. Even at 4000rpm in third gear it feels pretty much ready to take off. And at 8500rpm in second gear it’s actually hard to describe how fast it feels, how loud it sounds, how utterly fantastic it just is. And the way the gearbox slices through the ratios, up or down, is very much integral to the experience. I think this is surely the best dual-clutch gearbox there has ever been in a road car.

In many respects the raw statistics don’t really do it justice. Like many superheated two-wheel drive machines the Ferrari can’t defy the laws of physics, so it’s 0-60mph time of 2.9 seconds is almost identical to the likes of the McLaren 720S. Yet once the 812 is rolling it gathers speed with a ferocity that borders on the manic. Keep your foot in and, where conditions allow, you can keep going all the way to 211mph.

On the road, in fact, you never really notice that they are there at all. And on the road, of course, the 812 feels approximately twice as fast as it does on the track – to a point where I can’t really imagine anything else, at any price, with any engine configuration, feeling any faster – or better to drive – than the 812 Superfast. Yet knock the dampers into their Bumpy Road setting and leave the gearbox to its own devices and you’ll find the Ferrari is remarkably docile and comfortable. At a cruise only the constant growl from the exhausts upsets the calm of the cabin.

Interestingly, the tyres are regular Pirelli P-Zeros rather than Corsas, Ferrari justifying this choice on the grounds that it wants the 812 to be perceived as a fully usable road car first, not a full-on track weapon that can merely be tolerated on the road.

Caeruleus11, R J, spyderman and 6 others like this.
  2. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Spot on write up. I have about 250 miles on my 812 and it is everything and more that has been written. Amazing car

TSOYBELIS, Caeruleus11, R J and 2 others like this.
  3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Congrats on your 812. Hope to see it at the lfsc concours this year!

4. Mike Chawla

Mike Chawla Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike Chawla
    Congrats on your 812 ,mine is coming in August 2019,one thins been botering me ,does the bumpy road mode really soften as the review says? below:

"Yet knock the dampers into their Bumpy Road setting and leave the gearbox to its own devices and you’ll find the Ferrari is remarkably docile and comfortable."

Thank you for your help in advance

5. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    I finally got to see my 812 yesterday but I haven't been able to drive it yet (too much snow and I still need some paint protection stuff done).

Mike Chawla likes this.
  6. Mike Chawla

Mike Chawla Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike Chawla
    congrats,would love to hear feedback about ride cmfort,the bumpy road mode,its my big convern because of thailand's road style,thanks in advance

uhn2000 likes this.
  7. IAAI

IAAI Rookie

Apr 28, 2018
    Hollywood FL
    Full Name:
    Herb Weinberg
    Just got back from a trip to the Miami Design District as well as Wynwood. Roads in and around these areas are extremely bumpy and torn up. Bumpy road doesnt make it all go away but it sure smooths thing out.. Now have 256 miles and many more to go. Stunning automobile in looks as well as interior design.

8. hs355

hs355 Karting

Feb 1, 2014
    Hi, the bumpy road mode really helps, it in fact softens the ride noticeably. The suspension in regular mode is quite sporty, whereas the bumpy road mode gives you enough comfort to enjoy nearly every road.
    Enjoy!

JagShergill and Mike Chawla like this.
  9. Mike Chawla

Mike Chawla Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike Chawla
    so good to hear,enjoy!

10. Mike Chawla

Mike Chawla Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike Chawla
    thank you so much for your reply,i am beyond excited now haha

11. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    I have done like 1500 miles on my 812. The 812 is much stiffer than other Ferrari's in the range including 488's, but it's not those AMG's ****-you-up type of harsh, it's more like Porsche GT cars solid chassis type of stiff with a whip of smoothness on top.
    Overall, I find it very happy to drive in both daily mood and weekend mood.

Caeruleus11, R J and Mike Chawla like this.
  12. Mike Chawla

Mike Chawla Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike Chawla
    thanks for the feedback,i test drove the car in dubai didnt have enough time and also dubai roads are just very good,but i know what u mean by solid feel and feel good stiff chasis,really encouraging for me this is,i cant wait for mine to arrive in 6 months or so they say hope no delays,i ordered mine in electric blue and beige tradizione interior,thanks again for your help

13. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I'm not sure the 488 is stiffer than a 488 (unless the 488 is a spider) but its defining trait is undoubtly the engine - the Ferrari V12 have always been impressive, but the 812's is a masterpiece.

The only drawback of the 812 is its weight but I guess it's only noticeable on track, on the road I'm sure it's not an issue at all.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  14. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations to you all!

I find the combination of everything gives the 812 a sense of fun that can be elusive in cars with big power. That's of course purely subjective, but my opinion is the 812 has that same sense of fun as the 458.

Mike Chawla and KenU like this.
  15. Mike Chawla

Mike Chawla Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike Chawla
    Hello all,

One more question,i hear very loud noise inside cabin and obviously because of v12 outside no question,i want to lower the valves so i dont disturb my neighbors when driving late nights or even day time,i contacted this company called Capristo Exhaust, LLC,they quote:

"If you get our exhaust valve remote kit you can control the OEM valves on the OEM exhaust and KEEP them closed to keep the car quiet."

does anyone have this experience or any suggestions would be grateful

Thanks so much everyone is so kind here
    Mike

16. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Hi Mike, do you wish to reduce the sound when you start the car, or when you are driving around? I would imagine the standard exhaust is not too loud if you are cruising along in sport (or even wet) mode if you keep the RPMs low. But on start up the car will make itself heard. Let's face it, this is part of what sells the car: when you hear it start at the dealer, or when you start it for friends. That first roar of sound is what everyone reacts to.

So if the issue is driving around, if the RPMs are low and you are not in Race mode, then the flaps should already be closed, and thus the Capristo (or other) flap controller won't really matter. If its a question about start up, then I would ask Capristo if their system can keep the flaps closed for a quiet start up.

I was at the dealer last week and they had two 812's there. One has the flaps kept open and the other is purely standard. The startup was the same for both, but the standard one became fairly quiet, the "open" one was loud!

Mike Chawla likes this.
  17. Mike Chawla

Mike Chawla Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike Chawla
    Oh wow i didnt know the wet mode will be quiter that will help while crusing back into the house,for start up yes thats the main actually,i will check with them if the flaps can be closed when starting,i pourposely ordered stadard exhaust in the hope that it wont be too loud when starting,thanks so much for your suggestions,this help me a lot