430 - New Proud (lucky) owner | FerrariChat

430 New Proud (lucky) owner

Discussion in '360/430' started by cole328, Feb 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
  2. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Congrats! Welcome to the owners club.. Enjoy her in good heath!

3. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Congrats! Love the black on black. Enjoy!

4. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Very nice, and still plenty young enough to enjoy the thrill!

5. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    very nice almost same as mine best of luck

6. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Very nice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

7. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Thanks guys....so much to learn about the "nuances" of these cars, but thank you to everyone so far with all of the great advice.

I have one definite newbie question, especially for those with the F1 transmission. From a dead stop, or when moving slowly (like in a parking lot), is it "normal" for the car to feel like the engine is lugging? It's a hard to describe feeling, but unlike in a normal auto engine car (like my DD, e63...which I LOVE by the way), in the F430, when I am moving in reverse, or starting out slowly from a stop, the car seems to constantly do this. Is there a "technique" one needs to learn to help the clutch engage more quickly or something? Any advice, or pointing to threads would be helpful. Thanks!

8. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Congrats - love the nero :)

9. kreh

kreh Karting

Feb 21, 2006
    OC
    Full Name:
    Kim Reh
    Sweeet. Mine is same color but with yellow calipers.

10. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Congrats! Good choice, IMO the F430 is one of the "last" real Ferrari.

Regarding the F1 gearbox: don't worry, I dare say this is completely normal. It is the clutch which tries to close while driveaway. Try to bring the clutch to a close with little gas and then accelerate harder. It is difficult to do this while reversing, in this situation is it almost normal for the clutch to always drag and jerk a bit. Just try to develop the best feeling for this system. Think about, the F1 gearbox isn't a "normal" automatic gearbox, it is an automated manual transmission.

Mighty Joe likes this.
  11. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Thank you for the quick reply.....I have loved this version since it first came out, and am just thrilled and humbled that one now sits in my garage. Since they have also already taken that large depreciation hit, while I will of course maintain it meticulously, she will not remain a "garage queen."

Your advice (and some prior replies) re: the transmission makes complete sense. I have driven the car less than 30 miles since I got it (fri night), so of course need to get used to things. That "drag and jerk" as you called it just caught me off guard.

Thanks!!

12. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    That's perfectly normal..... That single clutch gear box is so much fun with the F1... Congrats on the car! Blk on Blk with Scud rear grill....Sure is Purty!!!

13. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Very nice!

Enjoy!

Dan

14. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI
  15. Red 27

Red 27 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 2, 2008
    San Diego, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Congrats on your new ride. I purchased my 07 430 6 years ago at the age of 53 after almost 30 years of Dino308gt4 ownership. The F430 has been a ton of fun and I hope that you have a trouble free experience. Regarding the transmission, the sooner you get on the gas the better. I am usually fully engaged at a car length.

Jamie traina likes this.
  16. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Thanks...I went for a nice 15 mile drive around some backroads this weekend, and the car was indeed 100% better with the input from all about engaging the clutch. Plus, the more I drove, the better it seemed to have shifted and engaged. perhaps the prior owner didn't show her the love on a weekly basis.....that will NOT be the case with me! I will service her regularly, and drive with respect, but this will not be a garage queen...

17. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Congrats! Nice car!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

18. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Since everyone has been so darn helpful, I thought I would hijack my own thread for another nuance question. I searched the other boards, and while there were some answers, people seemed all over the map.

Luckily, my dash and seats are in super condition, and I want to keep that way. In fact, even after 12 years, all of the leather looks amazing. However, I DO NOT want the leather to get shiny or slippery at all. Does anyone have a recommended conditioner that would help preserve the leather without a slippery feel and wet look?

19. ARFNSX

ARFNSX Rookie

Mar 8, 2005
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Alex
    The Black looks gorgeous...Congrats!

20. Iron Man 32

Iron Man 32 Rookie

Feb 18, 2019
    Full Name:
    Robert Winski
    Very nice car good luck with it I'll be on the hunt for one very shortly

21. The4DA

The4DA Karting

Aug 31, 2018
    GA
    Full Name:
    RC
    The car looks great! Congrats!

22. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Scott,

I use Griots Garage leather care and it works great. It doesnt leave a greasy look nor make the leather slippery.
    Note that this product is a leather conditioner and not a leather cleaner.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/leather+care.do?sortby=ourPicks

I also use Lexol and it works great.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000637TNM/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_.V5ACbF040BA5

Dan

f355spider and redcaruser like this.
  23. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Welcome to the club. Enjoy!!

24. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    +1, I have found the Griot's leather care products to work very well and easy to apply. For dried or leather that needs some more work, the Leatherique products work well, but are very time consuming to use. For monthly cleaning and conditioning, I really like the Griots Leather Care Spray....super easy and really keeps the leather clean, removing surface dirt and skin oils.

25. Jon Mercurio

Jon Mercurio Rookie

Jan 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Mercurio
    Congrats! Beautiful car! I am working on a deal to purchase my first as well. It’s been a dream of mine since I was 5 years old and I hoping it will come to fruition very shortly.
    Wish me luck! I will post it up as soon as I get my hands on it! Congrats again and drive it like you stole it!

Red 27 likes this.