348 - glove box fix | FerrariChat

348 glove box fix

Discussion in '348/355' started by jebones, Feb 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jebones

jebones Karting

May 13, 2015
    NEOhio
    Since the little strut is no longer available I came up with a simple, if crude fix. A 1/4 inch spring mounted to the lower strut mount and upper hinge screw. The spring is from an assorted set of springs I bought for refurbishing a throttle linkage on an Alfa. I'm sure they ca be bought at any hardware store.
    Next step will be to get a proper lower pin and paint it the spring black. I may get a second one and try to even out the length on each end. I have a little video of it working but can't upload it. To close the lid, simply touch the spring in the middle and it folds.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. allandwf

allandwf Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2011
    Scotland UK
  3. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #3 Ferrarium, Feb 16, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  4. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    The little strut is easily rebuilt for $25 from Strutwise in BC. Takes them about a week or two.

5. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Good fix; but the strut is still available. I got one last year I think direct from Ferrari dealer. That said, they aren't suppose to last that long so your fix might be better!!

6. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Yes, they are absolutely still available. I refuse to sell them however, because they suck. There are plenty of alternatives that can whip the llama's ass. (early internet reference ;) )

Get yours rebuilt/regassed or whatever. On my 348, I achieved a great deal of inner-peace with the realization the glovebox was too small to store anything except gloves anyway. And driving a Ferrari 348 when its cold enough to need gloves is a lesson in misery. I think Ferrari figured it out with the dashboard glovebox offered in the later F355. NONE!

7. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    If you have not thrown away the old "shock absorber", you can make a coil-over out of it:

ernie, alexjack and QSA like this.
  8. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  9. jebones

jebones Karting

May 13, 2015
    NEOhio
    Well gentleman, thanks for the replies. My recent internet searches have apparently been inadequate because I wasn't able to find any information on availability. My attempt at a quick fix came to me while opening a boat engine cover that used this spring principal to hold the cover open. I will proceed accordingly and also remove the failed strut from the center consul and get them both replaced or rebuilt.
    Again thanks, the F-chat community comes through.

Jim

QSA likes this.
  10. QSA

QSA Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    Kingwood, TX
    Full Name:
    Quinn
    Thanks for starting the post and sharing your solution. This is a good thread with multiple options all in one place and will surely encourage new ideas as well. I’m already thinking of some.

11. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
  12. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Stooge fix award!

13. jebones

jebones Karting

May 13, 2015
    NEOhio
    @ernie The spring was from an assorted kit I bought years ago for a throttle linkage project. It measures 3 in. by 3/8 in with about 2 inches of straight wire on each end. I used needle nose pliers to bend the loops. I was just curious if would work, its cool cus it's so simple. Once installed you may need to tweak the bends a bit it make it act like a strut.

I also need the center consul strut and don't think this would work there. I plan on replacing both.

ernie likes this.
  14. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    First thing that comes to mind seeing that is RC Buggy coil over spring. McMastr Carr has them as well.

15. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    ernie likes this.
  16. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001