Pista Owners Question | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Pista Owners Question

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dustman, Feb 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark

My dealer told me there was NO WAY the Pista would be produced in the same numbers as Speciale due to the upcoming models crowding out the line. Think about it, one year production vs two.

09Scuderia likes this.
  2. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    When they launched the Speciale, they were making 6k cars per year, and an estimated 2500-3000 Speciales got built over a couple of years. Now, the production is nearly 10k, and the line has grown massively. So it would be no surprise if they manage to build at least a similar number of Pistas as Speciales.

3. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I have no doubt years from now the standard Cars&Coffee conversation will run something like, “The Pista is a wonderful car, crazy fast...*nod head, slight wink*...but the Speciale is the one to have.”
    :)

boobernackle and RayJohns like this.
  4. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    I always love how people say "the dealer told me" or "the salesman told me." If you believe them then perhaps I could interest you in buying a bridge in Brooklyn?

iloveferrari, nads and boobernackle like this.
  5. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Normal cars are worth ext to nothing after that long anyway. What's a 2004 Rav4 worth? $3K?

Are you really interested to hold a normal series Ferrari 10-15 years anyway?

In theory, Ferrari will be able to make the hybrids even better over time since battery technology will improve. In 15 years you'd probably the up with a cheaper, lighter, longer lasting battery pack than you got initially. That's the nice thing about electronics -- they don't really care how the electricity it's created or stored, it just needs to be delivered correctly.

6. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    vs what Dr. Mark...."I read online..."?

7. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark

Oh I tend to believe a dealer that accurately predicted the Speciale production numbers (around 2,500 with 1000 in the US) and has consistently been one of the largest Ferrari dealers in the United States over what you read second hand on the internet.

8. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark

Hmmm, wonder why most Speciale owners including myself couldn't wait to get one? By the way I owned my Speciale for 4 years so I am no "new car flipper".

I detect just a bit of jealousy in these threads from people that apparently were not either granted an allocation or could even afford one to begin with. Just my opinion.

Akellums, 09Scuderia and roma1280 like this.
  9. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    And if you believe (as I do ) that the number of Speciale built was in the neighborhood of 2500 cars then I would agree with you. Probably 1000 make it to the US. Thats still a pretty damn rare care and a beautiful one at that.

10. Doctor Mark

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    I most certainly do not always believe what I read on the net is factual. My experience is that dealers may offer their opinions but often do not know the facts and Ferrari often changes what they do or tell their dealers.
    In addition, dealers do have a dog in the fight. Selling product

11. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith

No jealousy...was given an allocation but opted against it (could buy many if I wanted). Nothing against the Pista as a great car, because it is a great car, I just don't think it will be as "iconic" as some other Ferrari greats.
    I think you see this evolving as numerous newer and faster models start rolling out of this public company over the next few years...FL and BB and all that. Each car will no doubt become faster, better handling...and a little more "absurd" for street driving.
    Let's face it...an F40 is much slower than all the current cars, yet commands huge desire and price....why?

The "older tech" cars will remain locked in their histories.

dmark1 likes this.
  12. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Sigh, so much for Owners thread.

13. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    I don't think many owners (on these forums) have taken deliveries of their car and/or the weather isn't conducive to driving yet. A number of my friends are taking deliveries in next couple of months (I'm not counting on their opinions (they'll drive them less then 500 miles and let it sit and then sell).

14. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I'll take your allocation :)

15. Doctor Mark

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Dustman is correct. Let's get back to discussing the cars and not measuring egos and testosterone levels

iloveferrari likes this.
  16. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    I believe there are TWO owners posting on this thread....

dustman likes this.
  17. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    #42 iloveferrari, Feb 18, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    Yes, yes, yes...you finally got it. In all honesty, if you feel like you need to put other people down, so that you may feel justified, then I say your ego is unproportional to the size of your wallet, meaning the richer you are, it should take proportionally more to rattle your ego, unless you are a very insecure person to begin with. Nothing working with that, just sharing my observation on this anonymous internet. The half full bottle, when you shake it, is the loudest. This is what I taught my son.

18. Mn-0127

Mn-0127 Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2013
    owner here for about 2 weeks now.

Worth it? absolutely
    You enjoying? smile on face every time i drive it
    Market still above msrp? i believe so. i called BJ motors when they had one for sale and was asking 698k for it. 250k over msrp

dustman likes this.
  19. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Not putting you down at all, I don't know you. It was just a general opinion, no need to take it personally.

09Scuderia likes this.
  20. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Same here. But I just can't help it but to observe that certain pista owners simply could not tolerate other comments that boasted speciale and seriously everytime, a pissing contest would automatically ensue.

21. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    its because DUSTY asked to hear from owners....this was his thread. Owners are trying to respond....make sense?

dustman likes this.
  22. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    @dustman I am not an owner yet but flew all the way to Italy to TM mine, I saw a few in person. Its a magnificent beauty of a ride and was sold the minute I sat it in, not mention I keep playing back the the simple rev I got a taste of while on the tour. I say get the dang car and then you can be the one sharing your opinions versus the performante. Looking forward to hearing more; to me life is just a bunch of experiences and mini journeys - take'em while you can :)

23. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark

Look I loved my Speciale. Bought it new, drove it quite a few miles and held it 4 years,,, it was a great car. I just find the notion that it somehow is a "better" car and a "better" investment than the Pista (which is prettier, faster, and far more advanced) laughable.

24. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Dustman, do what I did and keep both. I have a Perf Spyder on order to be delivered in June along with my Pista in October (hopefully). Those should make quite the twins. The Performante is a special car as well...probably Lambos best effort to date.

uhn2000, iloveferrari and 09Scuderia like this.
  25. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    A little off topic, but did you see any Pista spider on the production line?