Now this... | FerrariChat

Now this...

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Scott Brick, Feb 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scott Brick

Scott Brick Rookie

Jan 31, 2019
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Scott
    so now that the original 458 I wanted has been ruled out I have found three other options. I wanted to be at 180k for a spider but does not seem feasible. So here are three more. The 14 looks the best in my opinion but they won’t come down at all in price. The 2012 is best price but has a Carfax issue. The 13 option list isn’t that impressive. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Thoughts? Thanks. The 14 is Ferrari certified. I don’t even know what that means but I hope it is good does not need ppi and is good to go.

sbenus likes this.
  2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Just double-check, but certfied should mean it comes with a warranty.
    In any case, my thoughts are that in the current market there is room for price negociation, so you better try...

3. spieler

spieler Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2012
    miami florida
    #3 spieler, Feb 15, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    Could you tell us why you did not buy the first one You just said ruled out but what is the reason?

1) 2014 not bad but all the buttons are very sticky so add to your budget an amount to redo them ( i am thinking 5k?)
    2) 2012 carfax issue as you said . If minor not a problem unless you want to resale it quickly. But very few options as well. Inside is "boring"
    2013) As you said some interesting options like racing seats but no driving zone LED ( often a deal breaker)

I am guessing you are focused on a spider rosso corsa under 200k?

4. Scott Brick

Scott Brick Rookie

Jan 31, 2019
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The first one I looked at was a 13 in Atlanta. Both Ferrari of Atlanta and the independent inspector said walk away at 185k. It had potential frame damage electrical issue and multiple wear issue. The inspector said it was worth something because it had so many options just not a good choice for me as a first time Ferrari owner

5. jac

jac Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    Full Name:
    jack cohen
    I like the 458 in North Carolina. 2 of your 3 cars were on my search too but I ended up with the 1 in Orlando. My only reason for not getting the one in NC was I wanted tan leather. The NC car has more carbon fiber than the car I got in Orlando. Good luck!

6. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    Why are the front fins and rear diffuser on the 2014 red? Did someone paint them aftermarket? The black wheels and interior would be a dealbreaker for me on that car.

7. Scott Brick

Scott Brick Rookie

Jan 31, 2019
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I don’t know about the fins and diffuser. I will find out. I thought it looked cool but it sounds like this may be a problem?? Thanks for the heads up.

8. Scott Brick

Scott Brick Rookie

Jan 31, 2019
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yes trying to stay under 200k. What do you mean buttons on 2014 are “sticky”? I have found this process a lot different than buying a Chevy. I am learning a lot!

iloveferrari likes this.
  9. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Hahaha, lots of threads on sticky buttons. Basically everything that’s plastic on the inside is clear coated with a material that degrades over time. It becomes gluelike and cannot simply be rubbed off or cleaned. This includes all bezels, knobs, switches, etc. Heat and humidity seem to exacerbate the problem.

The only way to fix it properly (my car has some) is to remove the pieces by dismantling the dash, and have one of several companies restore them. There are two great companies that advertise or are sponsors on this site. Not cheap when you account for labor in and out.

I’d figure it in the price, but not a dealbreaker as it’s not major surgery, like brakes or transmission, but it will set you back a few g’s or more, depending on how anal you are about the interior being perfect.

10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    FIRST: get a an independent Pre Purchase Inspection ! Someone else who inspects the car for you. No emotion involved by you.

All things that are not correct should be listed and estimate costs added.

Do not buy on your own !!! We have seen that here too often …

Only buy the car that REALLY strikes you, and gives no hesitation at all.

Good hunting :)

Avia11 likes this.
  11. Tessy

Tessy Rookie

Jan 27, 2019
    NIceville, Florida
    Scott, I will lurk and learn vicariously through you as I will be in the market soon also. Same, first time buyer looking under 200K as much carbon as possible, lowest miles but I primarily will be looking for black.

12. spieler

spieler Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2012
    miami florida
    Look this picture of the NC car for example . This is what sticky means
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Welcome to sticky ferrari world. No one can escape the stickiness!

14. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    This is a fly trap. Lol

15. jac

jac Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    Full Name:
    jack cohen
    X2 on the ppi. Seriously no matter where it comes from. I have a ton of pics to compare the car as to when it shows up from Florida to from when it left fl.

16. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Hi Jack, do you have a PPI form as example ? Or via mail ? ([email protected])

17. jac

jac Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    Full Name:
    jack cohen
    I'll send you over what I got from Maranello. It was also important to talk to the owner Bruce just to get his more detailed impression of the car. In the past I purchased a diablo 6.0 without a ppi. The deal turned out fine I bought, enjoyed, then sold the car at a profit. If I did a ppi I would have bought a better condition Diablo. I made sure this Ferrari was in top shape. Bruce actually found a few minor scratches I missed but I can live with. This is why you do a ppi! They find things you don't.

18. jac

jac Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    Full Name:
    jack cohen
    Scott. Fyi my buttons are slightly sticky on a 13 with 2500 miles. I am planning on replacing sticky in a year or two. Check the dash leather. I have heard that is more difficult to fix.

19. Scott Brick

Scott Brick Rookie

Jan 31, 2019
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Scott
  20. spieler

spieler Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2012
    miami florida
    This car looks good. A lot of carbon and the best seats IMO ( not electrical in case you dont know).
    If good PPI certainly a deal doable at 195K .
    looks a good deal to me

21. Scott Brick

Scott Brick Rookie

Jan 31, 2019
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Scott
    speaking to North Carolina guy about ppi. He says certainly can be arranged but it is a certified Ferrari. Is there a difference? Thanks

22. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I’m not sure exactly what warranty comes with a Ferrari certified but if it’s one year of the new power warranty there are still plenty of things this warranty doesn’t cover and should at least be documented in the inspection done to certify it. Still wouldnt hurt to get an independant ppi done to ensure that all issues are caught. Haven’t heard anything negative about Foreign cars Italia but you never know. It’s also not going to hurt to offer a bit lower price worst that can happen is they say no, just offer a fair price to start with and expect a counter offer. Happy hunting, a 458 spider is certainly one of my top 5 cars I’d like to own.

23. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    my understanding is...

If your car passes the PPI and the certification inspection, then your car is eligible for new power.

Until Jan 1, 2019, $5000 bought you 1 year. Now, $5000 buys you 2 years upfront. Furthermore, at most dealers when a certified car is sold, it comes with new power; if it doesn't, it should.

Although power doesn't cover everything it has LOTS of perks and I HIGHLY recommend it for peace of mind.

azlin75 likes this.
  24. mtxv14

mtxv14 Karting

Jun 30, 2017
    STL
    Full Name:
    Brian
    There's an example that I passed on, but looked to be well-specced and in good shape. I bet they'd go down to 195k.
    If you want I can drop you a name

25. Scott Brick

Scott Brick Rookie

Jan 31, 2019
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yeah let me know!