Birthday is in March, Drive Clean ends Apr. Let plate sticker expire? | FerrariChat

Birthday is in March, Drive Clean ends Apr. Let plate sticker expire?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by fire_n_ice, Feb 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fire_n_ice

fire_n_ice Formula 3

Jun 9, 2006
    Hey folks,

I have a car in winter storage and wondering if I should bother getting the emissions test to renew my plate sticker in March. The Drive Clean program ends on Apr 1, so presumably if I let the sticker expire, I can renew in person at a ServiceOntario location after Apr 1, without having to get the test done?

Is that logical? Or, am I going to get caught in some ridiculous administrative loop. i.e. "Well your car needed a test as of March, so now you can't renew your sticker, ever!"

I am sure some of you guys are in the same situation. Are you just going to let your sticker expire over the winter?

Thanks.

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    It's my understanding that after April 1st emission testing is dead so you can register any car regardless of whether the tag is expired or if it failed a previous emissions test. One of my cars is in this boat and in storage so I'll wait till then to re-new the plates.

3. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    Nuvolari is correct
    Confirmed at Service Ontario, no emissions required for renewal on my 550, after April 1st regardless if my birthday is in February and emissions are due now

4. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I’ve let my sticker expire before renewal without any adverse situations. As long as you aren’t driving it, of course. Cops are extra vigilant in the spring time with stickers, insurance etc.

5. Vantage007

Vantage007 Formula 3

Jul 5, 2009
    Toronto
    Same situation here, except I had the plate on my S2000 transferred to my Aston Martin earlier in the winter. Now I'm trying to put one of my older plates on my S2000, but the ministry literally won't let me plate it without doing an e-test (birthday is end of March), so I'm playing the waiting game until April.