Barcelona Testing 2019 (Circuit de Catalunya) | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Barcelona Testing 2019 (Circuit de Catalunya)

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Feb 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I unfortunately agree. Mercedes is NOT concerned about speed. And they seem plenty fast in the long runs. I like our car, but won't know anything for a few races.

Kevin

2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/141624/compact-honda-design-has-not-hurt-performance

Honda says the performance of its 2019 Formula 1 engine has not been compromised by Red Bull's push for a more compact design.

Red Bull boss Christian Horner said this week that the installation of the Honda power unit was the best his outfit had ever experienced, labelling the engine "a thing of beauty".

Honda's previous attempts to produce an extreme compact design hurt its progress in its first year with McLaren in 2015, but the Japanese manufacturer has insisted its '19 approach will not hurt its performance.

"I think we are in neutral," said Honda's F1 technical director Toyoharu Tanabe about the trade off between performance and packaging.

"The power unit performance or total package performance, we discussed very much with both teams [Red Bull and sister team Toro Rosso], and we compromised [to work out] which is better.

"If you have more power, [you have] more performance one way, but the chassis side is [at a] deficit. So what is the best compromise? Then we decide the best [overall] package performance."

Tanabe said the push for a more compact design was instigated by Red Bull Technology.

"Red Bull Technology discussed this between the teams and that makes our job very simple," he said.

"The aim is to make it compact and nice. That is what we have done during this off season."

Tanabe was also confident Honda had made progress on the reliability front this year, having stuck with the same concept.

"We carried over the concept from last year, which means the concept from 2017," he said.

"One of the reasons is the power unit regulations does not change this year, so we have kept working on our power unit.

"We improved our performance and reliability for this year. It means it [the engine] is not new but updated."

3. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    If Merc's tires aren't a shredded mess (like last year's), then they are exactly where they want to be.

4. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Yes interesting point that is!!

TheMayor likes this.
  5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

My hope is that Alfa steals points away from other teams so Ferrari can win the championship.

6. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    German AutoBild Motorsport suggests Ferrari is driving significant rake but manages to lower that on the straights:

Das Auto ist ähnlich wie der Red Bull extrem stark angestellt. Allerdings, an der Strecke ist zu beobachten: Auf der Geraden senkt sich das Heck ab, erst beim Anbremsen kehrt es in seine (erhöhte) Ausgangsposition zurück.

https://www.autobild.de/artikel/formel-1-ferraris-technikgeheimnis-10929053.html

stavura, crinoid and Bas like this.
  7. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    It's all very German of Mercedes and very Italian of Ferrari isn't it? haha, cheers.

DF1 and crinoid like this.
  8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    This wing has to be double diffuser-like good for that to happen. I think if the wing is good but not an insane advantage Sauber will be 4th best team.

Ferraripilot likes this.
  9. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    It's the hydraulic suspension concept that Bob Bell and Ross Brawn figured out and implemented first on W03. Ferrari have indeed snapped up a good number of MB people and vice versa these past few years

maulaf likes this.
  10. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

We'll get a much better idea once we see some race simulations. Look for those at test 3. Can't fake those.

375+ likes this.
  11. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Completely legal.

stavura and Bas like this.
  12. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Someone please tell me the brack/no bracket tyres are for the test only and not for the season....if it's for the season they've managed to make something that was a little confusing entirely confusing. lol

Picchu88 and 275gtb6c like this.
  14. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    I would imagine getting stuff out is not the problem as customs is the other end; its getting stuff in; and also where you have supply chains that pass components back and forth across boarders several times. It is not going to stop any of it; but i would guess it could considerably slow it down? And for companies that have very refined processes to get ideas through design, simulation, manufacturing, testing and into the car this will have some kind of impact.

Im sure companies have considered the potential risks and put plans in place to mitigate them, as Horner says. But even still this in itself is a disruption to the companies “normal” business.

We will see in due course, no negotiation is done early!

15. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Sorry to disappoint Bas, but it's for the rest of the season. I'm still getting acclimated to them.

BTW, Vettel and Leclerc have been lifting in S3......not showing the cars full potential. Vettel said yesterday he could "throw" the car into the corner and the car would respond. He feels good about this years car.

375+, Makuono, stavura and 3 others like this.
  16. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    nsxrebel likes this.
  17. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Seriously, why have 4 different 'soft' tires (get your spelling correct;) ). Instead of medium/soft/super soft/ultra soft/hyper soft, there should only be hard/medium/soft (plus inter and wet).

jgonzalesm6 and Bas like this.
  18. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I really wouldn't worry too much.

****ing hell....I guess we do only get 3 compounds per track anyways so will still see only 3 colours? White yellow or red. If they do red bracket and red no bracket they'll have ****ed up again.

stavura, jgonzalesm6 and jcurry like this.
  19. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    exactly.

20. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    thank you, this is good insight. I was hoping as much. Perhaps Italian Sandbags are bigger than Anglo-Germanic sandbags.

375+ likes this.
  21. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

British team would travel to the EU Under WTO rules like they do when they visit other non-EU countries.

I really cannot understand what the fuss is about.

nsxrebel and jcurry like this.
  22. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Alright, so I’m hearing the Ferrari is a good bit faster than even ferrari's models predicted. Need to see the race sims to get some meat out of that though. Coming very soon.

Nortonious, Bas, stavura and 3 others like this.
  23. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    That’s about the strangest euphemism for male genitalia

Nortonious likes this.
  24. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

I agree.

But wouldn't it be great if Mercedes became as authentically German as Ferrari is Italian. Cars designed and built in Germany would be a good start

nsxrebel and 635CSI like this.
  25. GLS12

GLS12 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2011
    Occupied VA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Gosh I hope this is true and they blow Mercedes and the others out of the water.

stavura, Bas, 635CSI and 1 other person like this.