Pista Owners Question | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Pista Owners Question

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dustman, Feb 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Swissoz

Swissoz Rookie

Jan 14, 2019
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    I have nothing to add with regards to the Pista, but finally got a chance to drive my new to me 09 Scuderia on the weekend for a quick 20 minute blast. After which I then took out my Performante. Absolute worlds apart, I dont know how anyone can say they they feel disconnected form the Perf especially on sound. I found the Scud to be really lacking in the emotional department under 5500rpm and it just didnt have anywhere near the mind blowing accleration of the Perf. I love the looks of the Scuderia an it is truly a work of art. But obviously being 10 years newer than the Scud you would expect it. I am sure the Pista will wipe the floor with Perf in a straight line and who knows on the track but with 700 odd hp you would hope so. Come spring I will more than likely trade the Scud for something with a V12. Not sure if you can go backwards when it comes to cylinders but more always seem like a good idea. But to agree with most people if I had an allocation I would of taken it and flipped. I dont see the problem in flipping cars as that is what Ferrari want there owners to do everytime a new model comes out. Where they make all the money.

dmark1 likes this.
  2. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Been around Ferraris for almost 45 years. What I miss most about the old days is that back then they were just unique hand crafted cars to be enjoyed and not "investments."
    I also think that the owners were more "gentle" and passion for the cars was shared more freely with a whole lot less ego and boasting over "mine is better than yours."
    I believe there are still among us some who reflect the earlier personna but so many now seem to be alpha males who made money and want to boast and show off what they have.

LVP488, sampelligrino and nmcclure like this.
  3. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    And this may be generational too. Younger people are able to afford more expensive cars earlier or the priority in life is different.

Do I want a pista? Yes. But this is what I will do. Flip it, make some money, and then buy a f12, so my wife can shut up having three F at the same time in the garage.

I am actually more interested to learn from the owner on experiences of driving an hour in pista on highway and how that go with the sound. I can't do it in race mode with the 458.

4. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I am a Speciale owner and have loved the car since it’s arrival but I am still expecting really good things from the Pista. If the Pista is everything I hope it will be will that diminish the Speciale? Not a bit because it looks wonderful, drives incredibly and is an iconic Ferrari. But the Pista could easily be and probably is better. Both cars wonderful, one more modern and quicker. This is not a zero sum equation.

458-Italia, dmark1, obbob and 3 others like this.
  5. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    If I recall, many of us talked numbers of Pista allocations to each of our respective dealer. Mine will receive a total of 12 Pista coupes and 6 Pista Spiders. By comparison we got 7 Speciales and 5 Speciale Apertas. And I distinctly remember one Fchatter saying his dealer will receive 20 Pista Coupes...so..I guess we will see.

dmark1 likes this.
  6. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    The V8 production area is closed to visitors atm. Our dealer did a TM 4 days ago and didn't see a single one outside or in the finishing area.

7. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Alpha males who make money don't need to boast or show off what they have, those are the insecure beta types.

8. V12Lyfe

V12Lyfe Rookie

May 30, 2018
    Orange County, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Speciale is definitely an amazing car but I have issue with it’s width. I think it’s too narrow of a car. But Pista fixed that issue, it’s wider and definitely beefier. This was the deal maker for me. Pista for me is definitely the best looking modern Ferrari there is, along with the handsome 812 IMO. Watch chris Harris review on the Pista on youtube, it’s the best and most down to earth review i have watched. Great video.

dmark1 likes this.
  9. mytoys

mytoys Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2015
    CA
    Full Name:
    mytoys
    since I took delivery of my pista last October, I inevitably pick the pista over other cars when I get a chance to go for a drive on an early weekend morning.

I think it is the best looking modern sports car around today. It drives and sounds wonderful. I think you should get it. It’s worth it.... my humble opinion.

I did hear from a number of long time Ferrari insiders that Ferrari will make many more pistas than speciales. I’m not sure what the market is on the car, but I suspect it won’t appreciate like a TDF and won’t depreciate like a lusso. I will sell mine sometime this year when my spider arrives.

10. martisracing

martisracing Karting

Nov 2, 2011
    Northamptonshire, UK
    After a year wait I finally got an allocation for a Pista last week. Really excited about speccing it up. The dealer I deal with has only had 2 Pistas so far and they just received the Ferrari dealer of world award so would have thought they would have a bigger allocation. This is far less than they had Speciales. When I ordered my Specile it was easy to get a slot. All the UK dealers I spoke to said the allocations were far less for the Pistas. Also all orders have to be approved by the factory. I do not know about other markets but in the UK they will be really rare. I had the Speciale for 4 years and loved it but the time has come for a change. I am going to get my na kicks from my 458 Spider that I am keeping. I did look at swapping the Spider for a Huracan but in the UK the servicing costs are crazy. The first 7 years on a 458 are free and after that my dealer my dealer said it would be around £1200 a year. For a Huracan no free services and they range between £2400 and £2800. That is just crazy money

11. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    heard this elsewhere as well. Translation? Does this mean that the 488 line is done and they are retooling for the replacement that is announced next month?

12. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    My guess is no. It usually just means there are prototypes about. Retooling should happen later.

13. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Congrats :)
    One could notice that you got an allocation for a car that was claimed to be sold out before being orderable... whatever that could mean.

14. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    It means someone dropped out.

15. Musicman

Musicman Karting

Feb 8, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    My view too. Absolutely love the looks of this car. Had mine a month or so but only managed to drive it last weekend for the first time. Did only 100 miles on a variety of roads. Temps too cold to try anything dynamic so can’t offer any informed opinion on driving dynamics at this point. In fact this point is most probably always going to be restricted due to my lack of driving ability ha ha

Absolutely love the way it drives though and the acceleration and shifts appear much more aggressive than my 488 Spider was, especially in Race.

Couple of immediate observations - it is def noisier in the cabin than the Spider. No surprise there then with lack of insulation and you do notice the increased road and engine noise from inside the cabin in relation to the Spider.

I have the full Matt carbon instrument cluster - and even with the Matt finish you do get a lot of reflection in the front screen. Not usually a problem in the uk as we don’t see the sun that often but I did think it noticeable so worth thinking about whether you really need this if you are in a constantly sunny country!

Small touch - love that the alcantara headlining is stitched using same contrast stitching as the rest of the interior. I hadn’t even thought about this and just expected the headlining to be stitched in same colour as the alcantara but now having noticed it in the contrast colour it’s a nice touch!

Roll on warmer weather and we will have a bit of fun with this car I have no doubt.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

09Scuderia likes this.
  16. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
  17. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    I agree both or nothing :)

18. martisracing

martisracing Karting

Nov 2, 2011
    Northamptonshire, UK
    I was always on the allocation list from the launch date:) the issue was Ferrari would not confirm the actual number they would get. Many other customers did not even get on the list. I also understand people on the list are getting the dear john letter now:(
    The UK dealer I deal with does not play you must buy this car game to get on list. They were pushing to get allocations for customers who enjoy their cars and keep them for a number of years without flipping them.​