Length of time dealers have cars in their inventory | FerrariChat

Length of time dealers have cars in their inventory

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by RWC58, Feb 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RWC58

RWC58 Karting

Oct 14, 2018
    Columbus Ohio
    Full Name:
    Robert W Crooks
    As I constantly scour all the websites selling 458's predominantly I've noticed how long some of the dealers have these cars for sale with very few or no price adjustments. I'm sure what they will accept might change but these cars are listed and relisted for months at a time with no change in price . I realize the audience is fairly small for high end and exotics but to keep cars for months on end seems a little absurd.

The story gets a little better . I contacted one of the dealers that had a 2013 458 coupe for sale and when I mentioned this he replied that some of these cars sold quickly and some might take a year to sell . At that point I realized I was talking to a salesman and not the dealer principal and I decided to not debate the costs associated with holding a car for a year .

Just something I noticed but I could be missing something . It wouldn't be the first time.

2. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Good cars with good prices sell …. to high prices don't sell …

The customer looks everywhere on the Internet and decide in the end … it's called: market :)

3. WLFerrari

WLFerrari Karting

Mar 17, 2017
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Most of the cars at the dealer are usually on consignment. The inventory usually sits until the seller and dealer get the “price” that they want (with the former looking for a net price after the consignement fee owing to the dealer). Sellers are reluctant to sell at a significant discount to the list price as it ultimately affects the net proceeds to them. The dealer is happy to have something in the showroom as it is “no cost” inventory to them.

4. Stevenb

Stevenb F1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Many are consignment where the owner thinks he can get top dollar for a light spec

Texas Forever likes this.
  5. RWC58

RWC58 Karting

Oct 14, 2018
    Columbus Ohio
    Full Name:
    Robert W Crooks
    I think I didn't realize how prevalent the consignment thing was although I did inquire about 2 different cars and they said the were on consignment.

6. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    CarGurus makes available the days in inventory. Good intel to have. Plus it also displays price reduction information.

KC360 FL likes this.
  7. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Make an offer and see what happens. I bought one new untitled car off the floor that someone didn't take for MSRP and one consignment car that only had 105 miles on it and was 6 months old, a straw buyer I guess. It was an early build of a 2018 and I got it for $10k below the ask. The people selling them may be waiting on an ordered car to arrive. They don't really have to sell the car until the new one arrives or at least aren't motivated as much to sell.

8. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Not just with the 458's. I still follow the 360 market and some cars have been sitting (price not reduced or only marginally reduced) for months and some over a year.

I've never seen a car that didn't sell if the price was low enough. And I agree with the OP. What is to gain sitting on a car when you need to move inventory as a dealer?
    As a grizzled used car dealer once said to me "a fast nickel beats a slow dime every time". ;)

9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Remember, these are all consignment cars. It’s the owner who lives in la-la land. Truth hurts.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

LVP488 likes this.
  10. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    My local F dealer has 8 488's for sale (3 spiders) between $269K US and $339K, Hi miles is 3,600 mi. with 3 below 800 mi. After my Saturday club drive I'm taking my Scud by to see how much cash I would need to add in a trade for a spider. I'm considering doing so but thought I'd wait until next winter to get a better deal on one after all the new cars are announced. I'm hoping to trade my car ('08, blk, 16K mi.) and $75K for a well optioned spider. Probably have to wait until next year but that's okay as driving the Scud in the meantime isn't too bad.

11. RWC58

RWC58 Karting

Oct 14, 2018
    Columbus Ohio
    Full Name:
    Robert W Crooks
    Patience is a virtue. It is tempting to hold off a year and see where the 488’s end up.