Barcelona Testing 2019 (Circuit de Catalunya) | Page 13 | FerrariChat

Barcelona Testing 2019 (Circuit de Catalunya)

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Feb 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I told everyone that if Honda figured it out, and I mean really figured it out, everyone is doomed. Honda is the juggernaut with more resources than anyone on the field combined. If Mercedes and Ferrari have 2 dynos running engines 24/7, Honda has 6 dynos running 24/7. It's just a numbers game with them. The question for Honda is, what is bagging a few championships worth to them these days? Merc proved they're worth a few hundred metric tons as the Merc brand has taken over the luxury market since.

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I'm sure that's what RB saw and why they switched. Renault is a dead end. RB is never going to get a Ferrari engine and doubtful Merc would sell them one of theirs unless forced to. Too much competition.

What would be interesting is if eventually Honda buys a complete team like Ferrari and RB have done.

jgonzalesm6 and Bas like this.
  3. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  4. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    [Racefans] Horner denies reports of vibration problems with Honda power unit.

crinoid likes this.
  5. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    As we know, Honda have been down that rabbit hole, really dumped a huge amount into it and built a fabulous championship winning car, which they sold to Ross Brawn for nothing.

What gives me pause is Honda's earlier prefacing in that they already whined about Ferrari and MB 'loopholes' regarding oil burning in fuel which Honda intend on at least attempting to close which tells me they're not confident they have that level of power just yet. They still have some tricks to either learn or have banned

375+ likes this.
  6. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  7. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Gary Anderson Analysis today - https://www.autosport.com/f1/feature/8858/rating-the-2019-f1-grid-from-trackside

Watching the new cars from trackside at the first test allows you to get a read on how they are performing, which ones are well-balanced, who is struggling with a weakness, who is in good shape, and who has some work to do.

Based on what I've seen from around the circuit over the first three days of testing at Barcelona, other than the Williams that I've only seen cruise past once, none of the teams have too much to worry about.

That doesn't mean they are all the same pace, because downforce levels will vary and there is a spread of performance. But none of the cars have any major vices and right from the first day they looked like proven cars that were in the middle of a season rather than straight out of the box.

But there are still differences, and while analysing lap times gives us a good steer on how the pecking order might shake out, there are still some things to learn from what we see on circuit.

--Mercedes mainly concentrated on race running on Wednesday with both Valtteri Bottas and Lewis Hamilton, so it never looked like the most lively car on the track.

For some reason, the team decided to do all of its stints on the C2 compound, which is probably the hardest compound that will be used for the majority of the season. Probably it was to ensure the car remained consistent, and by staying on that tyre the degradation was reduced.

Out on track, the lap times stayed fairly stable, but that means the degradation was there because as the fuel load goes down the car should get quicker. Over the long runs you could hear the amount of time the drivers spent off the throttle was increasing, and that led to lower corner speeds than some. But the car didn't have any visible balance problems.

The Mercedes team is in a solid position. It is building its understanding of the car and hopefully on Thursday we'll see more of a performance run.--

--The Ferrari looks really good on track, probably the best that we've seen. We're not so confident about what fuel loads it is carrying because Ferrari hasn't done a 66-lap run without heading into the garage, but even so it looks so consistent.

The drivers can place the car very well. There are no lock-ups, the rear is not nervous, and that's why I believe this is such a good package. Yes, fuel loads can impact the lap times, but on track it looks right. Ferrari has the basis it needs to build from.

But we haven't seen the drivers looking like they have gone beyond cruise control and worked hard, so that effort might not come until Mercedes starts to push a little harder.

Watching at Campsa, the fast, uphill right-hander, any movement of the car was very controlled and not snappy. The car will always move a little, but it's just a nice gentle drift rather than anything horrible for the driver.--

--The Red Bull does look good on track and the drivers can turn in aggressively to corners such as Campsa and Turn 1, knowing the front end and the rear will stick.

Max Verstappen seems to be very happy with the RB15, and the Honda engine, so we haven't seen anything like the potential of the car as yet. But I've not seen it do anything unpredictable and the speed can be carried into the corner with confidence. Other than Pierre Gasly's crash on Tuesday, when he didn't quite catch the rear, things have looked very under control.

It bodes well for the top three teams that their cars look so well-balanced, so it could come down to the power units to make the difference. Interestingly, the Honda sounds less distinctive and raspy than it did last year from trackside, so clearly there have been changes there.--

8. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Amazing how some people “forget” this fact when it suites them. And still claim Ferrari are disadvantaged. Wonder if they will still be whining if Ferrari win this year?

At the end of the day it’s not a fair deal to the other teams. Was their deal not cooked up long before Ferrari floated, so I don’t think they need it anymore and it should go to the lower teams and that doesn’t include Ferrari’s 2nd team!!!! Imagine what s few of the lower teams could do with that cash...result much better racing all round.

william and ktu like this.
  9. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

+1 No team is more special to me. If Ferrari left I dont care. At all.

william and Senna1994 like this.
  10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Mclaren and Williams also receive a heritage bonus. Don't hear anyone complaining about that. Especially with Williams about to go belly up?

stavura, TheMayor and crinoid like this.
  11. GLS12

GLS12 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2011
    Occupied VA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I don't understand why people who either actively dislike Ferrari or "don't care" about Ferrari come here for F1 stuff. And before folks say I am saying that non-Ferrari can't come here, I am not saying that and not trying to discourage anyone from posting. But I am curious why bother to come to the F1 section of a Ferrari site when you are indifferent, at best, to Ferrari. There must be general F1 sites out there or sites specific to teams that perhaps you do care about.

daytona355 and kes7u like this.
  12. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T

Bob spot on, Alonso ran out of patience and with RD gone, he had too much say on the team, too bad for McLaren. I have a feeling that the Honda will be the standout performer this season.

nsxrebel likes this.
  13. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    LOL

Fingers crossed!

either Ferrari or Red bull as champions, I'm happy either way.
    As above...fingers crossed they build something decent. Someone needs to dethrone the merc.

nsxrebel likes this.
  14. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    You might not care about Ferrari but you will certainly care about what F1 will become when Ferrari is gone!!!
    F1 is going down, fresh blood (visitors) is missing.... the millennials do not care about racing anymore. But they do care about brands (Apple, RB...) so if there is a brand in F1 then it is Ferrari, I doubt a lot of new spectators are coming around to root for Honda or Renault! So we see F1 dying anyway and without Ferrari this will happen much faster... So if you do not care about Ferrari leaving you obviously do not care about F1 in general and yet you spend your time here talking about it ;)

scudF1, Picchu88, stavura and 3 others like this.
  15. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The advantage is Financial Mayor, which you said you were against.

16. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I think you miss my point and the question

The point raised was the FIA is giving "advantages" to Ferrari. Well, where's the results? Ferrari hasn't won either title in over 10 years. Seems to me the "advantages" aren't helping

And yes, I wish all the teams used the same sliding scale.

daytona355 and Bas like this.
  17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

We agree on that.

F1 being a business, being handed over part of your budget every year is a huge advantage compared to other teams. Ferrari cannot translate that in winning every year.

18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The heritage bonus is wrong, regardless of who gets it.

19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

We have been told that Ferrarichat is open to anyone, regardless of their interest in Ferrari or not.

20. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    stavura likes this.
  21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

If we are talking about industrial might and Financial resources, Mercedes, and Honda are more or less in the same league.
    That's my assesment.
    The Renault team will never spend as much as the others, because the management just won't allow it, for political reasons.
    Ferrari is not part of the Chrysler-FIAT conglomerate anymore and is very much independent now.
    So, in the long run, it should be Mercedes against Honda, but bear in mind that interest in F1 is sporadic for both, as the past has proven.
    The picture could be very different after 2021, or in 5 or 10 years time.

22. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    I agree with you . F1 without Ferrari is just another racing series . To piss off you main draw would be a huge mistake , i have no issue with Ferrari getting paid extra , they earned it .

23. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Why I pay very little attention to pre-season testing. Anyone who really believes that a Toro Rosso is 1.8 seconds faster than the fastest Mercedes is an idiot. I won't care about lap times until Melbourne qualifying.

william and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  24. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    LOL....:D

daytona355 likes this.
  25. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It boggles my mind that every little piece of that is there for a very specific reason. How they figure out that these pieces need to be longer... those need to be angled...some close together and put exactly the way they are just blows me away. I can’t get my head around these cars. The science behind it all is truly amazing...even if it is Mercedes