Taking delivery of my Portofino! | FerrariChat

Taking delivery of my Portofino!

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by psb1013, Feb 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. psb1013

psb1013 Karting

Feb 4, 2017
  2. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Very cool - looking forward to hearing your thoughts.. Looking to add this or a cali to the stable with my F12 as a secondary...

3. JJ97

JJ97 Karting

Apr 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Joe Nocera
    I did the same trade at the same dealer from the 430 spider to Rosso Corsa, once the weather gets nice we might have to organize a Chicago drive with VHLambo as well. I heard a rumor his arrived in New Jersey today and is in transit to Lake Forest.

4. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    Count me in, too, hopefully mine should arrive in the spring, if they ever start doing non-standard colors (other than RP).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Gorgeous Porto. Congrats and enjoy...T

6. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    When did you order? I am fed up with waiting for a car that was due three months ago.

7. psb1013

psb1013 Karting

Feb 4, 2017
    Actually, I didn't order it. It happened to be available when I walked into the showroom. Most likely dealer ordered.

It has most of the popular options like carbon steering wheel and Magneride Dual Mode suspension. I wish it had the upgraded stereo, but then again, I'm not an audiophile so it's no biggie.

8. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    Looks like the demo model they had, but maybe not...

9. psb1013

psb1013 Karting

Feb 4, 2017
    It's not a demo model. They have another one in a higher spec that's a demo. They actually have a couple more Porto's that are unclaimed and available. One is a black/black with a MSRP of over $310K! :eek:

XDINO and mlcor like this.
  10. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    Ah. I haven’t gone in recently, afraid I might get angry at still having no clue when mine will be built.

11. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Lucky boy! My dealer has one that the buyer changed his mind on,but it is not to my taste. Enjoy.

12. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Psb113, when did you place your order? Mine was placed in early October and is still green 10 which means Ferrari has not locked the options and no set time to begin production.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. psb1013

psb1013 Karting

Feb 4, 2017
    I didn't order it. It just happened to be available at the dealer showroom.

If you're tired of waiting and not too concerned about specific specs, you might be better off just grabbing one that's available at a dealer. (You could always order one to your liking later and trade it in for that one).

14. Quietriot

Quietriot Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2018
    You could trade but it would be a good deprecation hit

15. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Congrats, beautiful looking car!

16. VHlambo580

VHlambo580 Karting

Dec 4, 2017
    Yep, mine will be at the dealer end of Feb. I’m definitely in for the drive. It will be a sea of “shades of red” Ferraris passing by...mine is RM. Looking forward to the drive together.

mlcor likes this.
  17. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I said congrats on the Maserati forum, and I will say it here as well. I went to (Algar)hear my Calfornia T with after the Capristo exhaust and piggy back unit were installed (going to feel like a totally different car when it comes out of storage in April), and if anyone is interested they have a very nice brand new black Portofino that is really nice looking and nicely optioned as well. I would probably buy it myself but with the T and the Maserati GT MC, my GT car class is complete.

18. Jay Pierce

Jay Pierce Rookie

Oct 28, 2018
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jay Pierce

If I may impose on behalf of the chat room, what was the price point like? Was there any movement below MSRP?

19. psb1013

psb1013 Karting

Feb 4, 2017
    #19 psb1013, Feb 20, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    MSRP on mine was $242K before taxes, lic, etc. No movement at all since this is a "hot" car right now for Ferrari and they don't have a problem selling every single one they make. Probably next year once the hype and "newness" wears off, Ferrari may offer some attractive lease incentives to draw more customers like they did with the Cali T. (Last year, they were offering something like $2K down to lease a base Cali T which was unheard of).

The thing that bothers me somewhat with how they priced this car is that the starting MSRP is just way too high for a "entry level" Ferrari. (Same with the Cali T). With a healthy amount of options, you can easily reach $280K-$300K which is 488/F12 territory. As great as the Porto is, I just don't feel it's as special as a 488 or F12 to command that high of a price. Ferrari should've made the starting MSRP around $150K which would've undercut a lot of competitors like the 911 Turbo.

For $242K+, I was tempted to buy a Huracan spider (or a used 458 spider) which would've been a lot more thrilling, but in the end, now that I'm getting older, comfort and usability won out.

20. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    I think your calculus, and the fact that you bought one, demonstrates that they priced it correctly.

I went through the same process, but at the end of the day, the Porto will be more practical for me than the other choices.

BHMSOCCER likes this.
  21. Jay Pierce

Jay Pierce Rookie

Oct 28, 2018
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jay Pierce

22. Jay Pierce

Jay Pierce Rookie

Oct 28, 2018
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jay Pierce
    I would like to thank you for your candor and sharing your thought process. You echo my sentiments on the price point of an
    entry level Ferrari. Moreover, the price points of the options! I understand the history, exclusivity and supply are factored into
    the price points. I understand that enables Ferrari to charge a premium, however, Ferrari meets the threshold of gauging
    on items such as Apple Car Play, upgrading stereo, carbon fiber, etc. That having been said, I love the Portofino. I will
    probably wait until 2020 and buy a 2019. I estimate a 20% savings off of MSRP. I would like to congratulate you on your
    new Portofino! When I buy one the options and color will be close to yours.

23. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I understand this point of view, but at the end of the day apples and oranges... the Cali T / Portofino are GT cars, whereas the 458/488/Huracan/F12 are sports cars, 3 out of the 4 "older" models. As much as I'd love the Cali T / Portofino to be cheaper, I think really most Ferraris can get you spending $50K+ for options. Really just depends what you want / like in a car, no?

24. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    Congratulations on the lovely new vehicle

Enjoy it in the best of health

Why couldn't you drive the 430 year round (I live in Chicago and my NSX is on the road 12 months a year (with snow tires for the season))?

I believe Ferrari is executing beautifully on a pricing plan. They keep bringing special cars out like the Pista to move to higher MSRP levels in general,and then each new regular model slots in higher than the previous car in that range. I do feel that they continue to 'up' the product, so you are not paying more for a car that is on par with the previous one. I can see the day in a few years where you have to be at $300K to touch a new F car.

25. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I tend to agree that the options on these cars are a bit ridiculous. my car had a sticker above 280K, and many of the options (like car play and all the carbon fiber everywhere) I would have never picked if I was building the car myself. Algar has two (that I saw) brand new Porto's for sale, if anyone is looking for one, one is a really nicely built black one. You must have a great street cleaners where you live in Chicago, where I am an NXS would not be in one piece after a winter on the road. I have winter cars (RR Autobiography, 991C4S, S Class, and my dogs jeep grand Cherokee) that are on the road from Nov-April, and then my summer cars come out. While they are off the road my summer cars get upgrades (my T got a power upgrade and a new exhaust system), so they are better (for me) when they are back on the road. If I did not do things this way I'd probably have owned at least 100 more cars.