Interesting 3 car comparison | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Interesting 3 car comparison

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by pdxjim488, Feb 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Motorwerks

Motorwerks Formula Junior

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    I guess that makes it dated, eh? The 2RS is in line with the pricing, forced induction, and hp poise of the Pista. The 3RS was the wrong choice.

Gh21631, howydo and SoCal to az like this.
  2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Spot on review from an actual owner.

3. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Honest and accurate.

Gh21631 and Motorwerks like this.
  4. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid

This may be true however the test in this discussion thread simply compared what was available and the 720XXMFLT doesn’t exist. McLaren have to be faster than the Ferrari to be competitive in the market. It’s a great selling point for them.

I look forward to driving a 720.

Nice blanket statement.... :/ ok uh yeah... even if partially true....You’re in an online forum. An online forum named for and dedicated to Ferrari. You’re bringing up one of Ferrari’s long time nemesis in F1 who is now trying to compete with Ferrari in the road car market. Maybe you need to see clearly and change your expectations. I personally love the 720S and have great respect for some of McLaren’s engineering. I do not think McLaren’s engines are as nice as Ferrari’s and time will tell as to their long term reliability. McLaren don’t build their own engines. They like to pretend to be a true competitor to Ferrari however due to this fact alone they aren’t. They compete on track. They sell cars in the same market. Some of McLaren’s cars are fantastic. I really still think the MP4-12C and the 720S are my personal favorites despite all the suspension rigamarole on the 12C.

Lukeylikey likes this.
  5. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I am sure you understand that this is just the opinion of one journo, or one publication. Others have different opinions.

6. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    I think you are referring to the turbo lag. I like it, for me the turbo kick is part of the fun and manageable with a little adaptation of the driving style.

7. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    You are not talking about turbo lag, but boost threshold instead. Turbo lag exists even in the meat of the power band in many engines. That 's where Ferrari's V8 excels.

8. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Yes of course. But these statements are piling up. Soon I can made my own experiences.

9. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    I agree. It provides drama and amplifies the sensation of acceleration which is one of the few exploitable performance traits on the road.

That said, I respect the clever engineering that goes into minimizing lag and appreciate how it is an overall improvement performance-wise (and safer).

10. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    #85 REALZEUS, Feb 20, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    Ferrari's torque management is calibrated in such a way as to increase the car's thrust as engines rise and thus remind of N/A engines.
    Regarding "ringers", this has been debunked time and time again. Many customer cars achieve the published and press car numbers.

crinoid likes this.
  11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    crinoid and Napoli like this.
  12. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Add up all of the 458, 488, and 488 Pista automotive awards and accolades and the Ferrari argument becomes evermore convincing. Great pedigree and heritage. Great cars!

MANDALAY, Shadowfax and kandi like this.
  13. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Let me guess the pro Ferrari ones are the only right ones correct?

Just curious have you driven or owned 600LT, Pista or 720s?

Motorwerks likes this.
  14. TAILWAG

TAILWAG Karting

Apr 8, 2007
    OP/Olathe
    Full Name:
    Angel
    I agree 100%
    I have driven all of them (minus the 600LT) and when I owned my 650s, I was surprised at how little lag it had, but it also had 8,000 miles. It is crazy how those cars wake up after 5,000 miles. The 720 is just a phenomenal car - it almost doesn't seem like a turbo car.

IPO1 likes this.
  15. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009
    The torque management is also gear dependent. I have to agree to disagree on the ringer argument. I’ve seen some factory cars put out numbers that very few if any customer cars have accomplished.

16. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #91 Shadowfax, Feb 20, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    Yes turbo lag mainly. The power is very on/off....like turning a light switch on or off. And then there is the very crass sound. Don't get me wrong it accelerates hard but it has poor modulation of the power on tap. It's like you have to give it all or nothing....and nothing in between if you come off and go back on again. It has to be held in very high revs (not far off the red) coming into mid-corner or it bogs down if shifting up if not very high up in the revs leaving little left before the red. I guess if you like that kind of thing then you should be fine, but to me having to unnecessarily rev the crapper out of the engine just to keep in the shift zone is somewhat pointless given the size and capacity of the engine. With 488 engine you virtually have the whole 8000 to play with....allows a far greater flexibility esp through corners....much much nicer to use.....and sounds waaaay better.

redcaruser likes this.
  17. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    No need to wonder so much. This isn't some kind of ego battle over who thinks they are the superior driver. It is what it is. No need to justify or make excuses for a an engine which is clearly sub par against the others.

18. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Not at all. What you are saying now only serves to prove my earlier point even more (re power to weight and lap times).

19. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009

Ok

20. Joff Clarke

Joff Clarke Karting

Sep 21, 2017
    Gulf Coast
    Full Name:
    John Clarke
    Enjoying the heck out of this thread. Having owned several P car turbos over the years I admit - love the power but hate the turbo lag although you do get used to it. I do not own any of the cars mentioned but had a chance to drive my buddies 488 GTB and did notice a little turbo lag, My current car is a 2006 F430 so the power did seem incredible compared to my car. I'm looking to replace mine soon and after driving the 488 I may look at a late model 458. I love the looks of the 488 and think the Pista is one of the prettiest cars I've ever seen( cant afford one) but I'm not sure I would love it like the naturally asperated cars. I went from a modified 600hp 2008 997 Turbo to a sub 500hp F430 and love the engine so much more. Would love to hear some feedback. Please stop me before I go completely mad and buy a Huracan lol Cheers Folks

Attached Files:

Boomhauer likes this.
  21. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!

Nice color!

There’s no lag in my 488 GTB, just pure joy.

MANDALAY and pdxjim488 like this.
  22. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009

The Huracan is a great car and the new Evo is even better for a lot of the reasons you stated !!!

23. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Love the Evo. Wish I could fit in it.

24. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    The comments on lag vs none are interesting especially the comment by some that the coming on boost sensation enhances their exhilaration from the acceleration while others find it problematic when driving at 10/10ths or in dicey road conditions.
    My old Yamaha V Max motorcycle had V-boost which felt very much like turbo boost kicking in. I later modified the bike which eliminated the V-boost but made the bike much faster and responsive. But my seat of the pants feel of the bike was the unmodified bike was faster. Go figure.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

kandi likes this.
  25. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark

Hmmm, wonder why I sold mine to get a Pista then?

Oh yeah, cuz its prettier, faster and more advanced.

Motorwerks likes this.