What have you done to your Ferrari Today? | Page 74 | FerrariChat

What have you done to your Ferrari Today?

Discussion in '308/328' started by SteveGTB, Feb 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    The passenger window lift is much better now after I greased the rollers. It is still slow but I can live with it. The passenger lock actuator doesn't seem to work properly. It supposes to stay shut (down position) when I lock the driver side door but it would go down and then immediately pop up. Should I take the actuator out and clean it? Is it serviceable?

2. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    That looks Fantastic!

Daytona seats are a major thumbs up in a 308

3. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    Thanks, that’s what inspired them.

4. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
  5. JuLiTrO

JuLiTrO Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    Julio Saiz
    I was yesterday recovering and cleaning the leather seats.
    Results are very promising after having removed some years of neglected cleaning by previous owners and one very bad redying/painting layer

Original Blue is coming out

Best Regards

Julio
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jbrauer, Rosey, Oengus and 3 others like this.
  6. chasjen

chasjen Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2013
    Dublin, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    Hello All,

Since getting my first Ferrari this October, an 85 308 QV, I've replaced the rear main seal and clutch (while I was in there). No more oil leak! I've also replaced the fuel filter, accumulator, and fuel pump. Incidentally also installed new stereo.

I can't believe how much better it runs after replacing the fuel pump, accumulator and filter. I was a little surprised. I replaced the parts due to a hot start issue.

Finally, I give much thanks to everyone on this forum for your outstanding help!

JuLiTrO likes this.
  7. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Mine died a violent death - started having an epileptic fit (up/down several times a second), and I had to pull the fuse. While I was in there, I installed remote keyless entry. A very much worthwhile upgrade.

8. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    a lot of maintenance over the winter, hard winter in Toronto

9. billboboy

billboboy Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2015
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Will L
    Definitely serviceable with the door card removed. I had to do the same to my passenger lock last year. Shove a generous number of rags under the lock to collect the mess and go to town with WD-40 and an old toothbrush. Double check the plastic bits are still well connected and not cracked. The old grease turns into basically clay after a decade or so. I let mine “dry” for about a day before reapplying new lithium grease and exercising everything well before replacing the card. Hopefully it’s just a grease jam preventing the actuator from properly driving the mechanism.

10. billboboy

billboboy Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2015
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Will L
    Took the 308 in for another random little oil leak and valve adjustment.

I’ve also started hearing a loud repeating metal “TICK” sound coming from the passenger side of the front bank. It’s only happening when the engine is cold (goes away when oil warms up) and rate chases the RPM.

11. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

ordered the Carbonio magnetic rear license plate holder.

12. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    I have the same thing on my 85 QV GTS US on the passenger side. It goes away just like you say.

billboboy likes this.
  13. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Good advise. What color is the new lithium grease? Thanks.

14. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Possible valve problem. Was this tick not present before, but started after, the valve adjustment?

15. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Could also be an exhaust leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. billboboy

billboboy Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2015
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Will L
    It definitely sounds like it iscoming from the top of the engine but seems far too slow to be a valve tick. Also very metal tick sounding, not from exhaust.
    Idoe is fine both cold and warm. I’ve asked my mechanic to take a listen and help me diagnose.

17. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
  18. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #1845 Crowndog, Feb 21, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    If the door lock button with the Philips end is screwed to far down then the rod it’s attached to and won’t go all the way down. Remedy is to back it off some. The bevel shape interferes with the opening.
    Similar button but no bevel;
    View attachment 2671273

GordonC likes this.
  19. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #1846 nerofer, Feb 24, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    Every cloud has a silver lining, so...took advantage of the abnormally mild weather this end February in eastzrn France to have my first topless drive of the year with ol' #80515. Supposedly, it should be freezing, but no...a touch of heating and it was actually gorgeous.
    Now enjoying a bottle of Bordeaux (Graves, "Chateau Bouscault 2001") listening to the car clicking while cooling off in the garage.
    Does it get better than this?
    Rgds

Can't upload the pics...will do tomorrow!

20. billboboy

billboboy Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2015
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Will L
    I used standard white lithium grease and it’s been working great.
    The original grease turns to clay after 30yrs and is a pain to get out without a mild solvent like WD-40 or other penetrating oil.

21. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Is lithium grease still better than modern synthetic (silicone) grease?

22. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Here she is; glorious day in February, with the weather as you would expect it six weeks later...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. billboboy

billboboy Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2015
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Will L
    I haven’t tried silicone grease on mechanisms like door locks, just rubber suspension parts since it won’t degrade rubber or polyurethane.
    I had assumed that silicone grease is more for corrosion protction and water penetration prevention, not necessarily lubrication in highly temperature varying applications. For door locks it might not make a difference. For my throttle linkage I still use lithium grease as it has lasted me 4+ yrs between applications.

From Wikipedia:
    Silicone grease is commonly used for lubricating and preserving rubber parts, such as O-rings. Additionally, silicone grease does not swell or soften the rubber, which can be a problem with hydrocarbon based greases. It functions well as a corrosion-inhibitor and lubricant for purposes that require a thicker lubricant.

Grease made with lithium soap ("lithium grease") adheres particularly well to metal, is non-corrosive, may be used under heavy loads, and exhibits good temperature tolerance. It has a drip temperature of 190 to 220 °C (370 to 430 °F) and resists moisture, so it is commonly used as lubricant in household products, such as electric garage doors, as well as in automotive applications, such as CV joints. Lithium-containing greases first appeared during World War II and were perhaps the first large-scale commercial application of lithium compounds.