Barcelona Testing 2019 (Circuit de Catalunya) | Page 16 | FerrariChat

Barcelona Testing 2019 (Circuit de Catalunya)

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Feb 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    In other words business as usual for 2019

2. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    They said the same thing last year. Fact is, Ferrari really was ahead of Merc for a good portion of the season.

Will make for an interesting run up to Australia.

william, DF1, ktu and 2 others like this.
  3. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    It’s really interesting when right before the test teams were pronouncing that cars would be 1.5 secs SLOWER than last season’s cars, due to aero changes.

Igor Ound, ktu and Nortonious like this.
  4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    ahead? No. Maybe for a few races was Ferrari the actual stronger force (marginally), otherwise for the first half of the season (excluding the special tyre races of Spain and France) Ferrari and Mercedes where even with each other. When the development went the wrong way (as we later learned, on orders of Marchionne), the scales tipped Mercedes way massively.

5. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    Yes there are others series worth watching , but none of them has the audience that F1 has and none of them are televised world wide . Fact is , F1 has been a total bore the last few years, no real racing per say and the only reason the audience is somewhat still there is because of Ferrari, the fans either want Ferrari to win or get their asses handed to them , it is about passion . Do you actually think MB , never mind the others , would stick around to beat up on a bunch of has beens or nobodies .

classic308 likes this.
  6. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    How I rank cars in order of speed after observing week 1:

Ferrari
    Red Bull
    Mercedes
    Alfa Romeo
    Renault
    Toro Rosso
    Haas
    Racing Point
    Mclaren
    Williams

stavura and nsxrebel like this.
  7. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

I can see this except im a bit short on Honda just yet. No sense that they have the power fully up to Mercedes or Ferrari. They seem to have reliability overall which is more than they had last year. Power will be the key. We know the aero on Red Bull is good of course.

Bas likes this.
  8. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I quietly predict that they're at or very near to 2018 Ferrari/Mercedes levels (to go with Red Bulls own narative). I was a bit skeptical when Red Bull first said it, thought it was just part of the ongoing war of words between them...But it really seems Honda has made a huge step forwards. Red Bulls extremely tight packaging suggested they had some great numbers to go off, and the car hasn't suffered a single issue (nor Toro Rosso) and done plenty of laps.

As we saw what Red Bull can do with an engine massively down on power compared to Ferrari/Mercedes last year, if they're within 25 bhp or so of them they'll be fighting them tooth and nail. The different aero concepts is extremely interesting and I think will be the ultimate decided.

9. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

People join a forum for discussion, to exchange ideas, learn, and not necessarily to agree with the other participants.
    I don't need to espouse your opinions, I can very well form some on my own. And you don't need to attack everything I say either.
    As a matter of interest, which opinion from another poster on Ferrarichat have you been convinced to adopt?

As for you second paragraph, it rests on an axiom*, that Ferrari is the cornerstone of F.1.
    Your opinion, and a few other people too, is that Ferrari deserves extra money because without them, F1 would disappear.
    I say that is pure bollocks, just to justify an unfair practise in the sport so vehemently endorsed by the tifosi; it favours their team!

*axiom: an unproved truth that is not up for discussion in a conversation.

10. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    William, please drop it, we are here to discuss testing, everyone as it's own opinion and i guess we're all quite happy with it.

stavura, 635CSI, Bas and 1 other person like this.
  11. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I hadn’t heard this. Can you expand or send a link ...???

Bas and nsxrebel like this.
  12. GLS12

GLS12 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2011
    Occupied VA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I thought the development issue was Arrivabene ordering a halt (or the like), not Marchionne related. So interested in the above as well.

Bas likes this.
  13. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Personally, I don't care if the racing I watch has a huge audience or is televised worldwide or not.
    The most thrilling races I saw were in lower categories, mostly in specs series, some even in amateurs club meetings.
    I don't Watch GPs because of Ferrari; to me it's just another team.
    I am not that passionate about a team or a driver, all I am interested is a good race.
    I attended many GPs in the past, never collected an autograph or bought regalia, and I have been following F1 for 57 years now
    Now we have the Mercedes era, before we had the Cooper, the Lotus, the McLaren, the Williams, the Ferrari and the Red Bull eras.
    Ferrari isn't bigger than F1, IMO.

14. GLS12

GLS12 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2011
    Occupied VA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/leclerc-ferraris-rivals-sandbagging/4341790/

Charles Leclerc believes Ferrari's Formula 1 rivals have been "sandbagging" in pre-season testing at Barcelona.

Mercedes and Red Bull did not threaten the top of the leaderboard across the first three days of the first test, although Mercedes increased its performance on Thursday.

Leclerc helped Ferrari top the first two days of the test but, after lapping slightly slower than Mercedes pair Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas on the final day, he believes its rivals are still holding back.

"The performance has no sense for now because it's testing, they are not pushing and we are not either," he said.

"We don't know how much the others are sandbagging. So, we'll see at the first race.

"The main importance for this test is to do the programme of the day and that's what we're doing, so we're happy."

Leclerc's teammate Sebastian Vettel said at the start of the week that Ferrari had almost achieved "perfection" with its swift start to testing.

That strong start has also led Mercedes' Valtteri Bottas to declare Ferrari is ahead at the moment.

"As Seb said it doesn't feel like a new car," said Leclerc. "It feels like it's already quite an established car.

"We need to keep pushing. The other teams are sandbagging. We need to see how much they are, but we are pretty happy with the car at the moment."

Vettel's feedback on Ferrari's SF90 included the claim that it gave him confidence to do what he wanted on-track.

Leclerc agreed that it is "quite easy to drive".

"I already feel quite at ease with the car," he said. "There's still a lot I need to get at ease with but already the feeling is very good."

15. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    This thread is about Barcelona testing. If you want to continue this tedious discussion please create a different thread for it.

SimCity3, JimEakin, stavura and 3 others like this.
  16. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    So far true.
    No, you do not need to "espouse" my opinion but if you come here with the principle that you will never change your opinion no matter what you are obviously not here to "exchange" but only for a monolog... maybe a diary would be a better place for that than a public forum. And if you think that I "need to attack everything you say" you take yourself far too serious!
    There are a lot of opinions and facts from people with knowledge that help me to form my own opinion because normally I do not come here with an opinion written in stone just like you seem to do. The fact that your opinion does not convince me normally does not say that I flatly refuse whatever you say... But when someone is braging that he has one on ignore just to like every post that is written counter the very same person this looks very insincere for someone calling himself the "reasonable one"....
    The history bonus is to reward a company that is in F1 since day 1. You are the one who repeatingly said that he does not care about the manufacturers because they join and leave whenever it suits them and here is something to rewards someone for exactly not doing this and you disagree again!!!
    Fact is that to survive in the current form as an international series with international viewership and worldwide extension a brand like Ferrari and to a certain extend RB as an international trademark is desperately needed. Good for you that you like to watch lesser series with team unknown A racing against team unknown B but obviously you are very much alone or why are these lesser series not to be seen in television on a regular base? Probably because they do not reach the same audience... as a wild guess :rolleyes:
    Thank you for explaining but I knew what an axiom is way before I went to university....

17. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Couple of things to wrap up on day 4 of testing....

- An oil leak on the Racing Point car is the reason why Lance Stroll was absent towards the end of this afternoon.

- [Motorsport] Kubica admits Williams running "compromised" car
    - [it.Motorsport] Williams: two details of the front suspension are probably not legal
    https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/clamoroso-williams-due-particolari-della-sospensione-anteriore-sono-a-dubbio-legalita/4341705/
    [​IMG]

@crinoid

- [it.Motorsport] Red Bull with two huge rods to shut off the vibrations of the Honda engine.
    https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/red-bull-con-due-tiranti-enormi-per-spegnere-le-vibrazioni-del-motore-honda/4341919/

[​IMG]

Image Unavailable, Please Login

[AMuS] "Next week, Mercedes will arrive with a bigger aerodynamic update. They try to say that it's not their last hope but it surely must help them to reduce the gap to Ferrari."

crinoid likes this.
  18. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    The mind games are afoot!

crinoid and Ferraripilot like this.
  19. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Isn't it a little bit early for Charles to be working the Ferrari mind games?

Makuono likes this.
  20. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Yes. Although it isn't really mind games is it? Unless you believe that Renault have the fastest car as they ended up with the fastest lap time. Clearly, neither Ferrari, Mercedes or Red Bull went anywhere near as fast as they could - not least in that none of them ran the fastest tyres. Perhaps F1 ought to give a point to the fastest driver on each day of testing then we might see who really has what pace right from the start.

Makuono likes this.
  21. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    >
    You're absolutely right. I got my italians mixed up lol

crinoid likes this.
  22. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Is anyone going to tell Singhoff to drop it or is that just a William thing? o_O

Interesting to see if the bars stay on the back of the Red Bull and that's all Mac needed to do in order to quell the vibrations enough to get on with it. lol.

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  23. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Somewhat bias'd headline. I find it hard to believe that Honda is getting these vibrations on a test stand. The engine and chassis are a unit, and stiffness of each will play a role in natural frequencies of the complete system. The addition of these rods is proof, if they in fact reduce the vibration.

24. RallyeChris

RallyeChris Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2012
    Northport, NY
    Full Name:
    S.C.Conigliaro
    Where do those rods attach? Looks like the rear floor/diffuser. If there's any flex at the rear engine cover/exhaust at high speed, pushing the rear floor/diffuser closer to the racing surface, they may be getting an aero benefit.

IDK. Looks like a flimsy location to improve stiffness/dampen vibration.

nsxrebel and jcurry like this.
  25. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    william, 375+ and crinoid like this.