430 - Race Mode | FerrariChat

430 Race Mode

Discussion in '360/430' started by cole328, Feb 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Just curious to see if anyone uses race mode during spirited street driving. Or, is the incremental gains from some quicker shifts and maybe a tighter suspension, not worth the downside of some of the safety control aspects being turned off?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Very seldom. Usually just for comparison purposes, such as how the differences in suspension settings feel on our rough Pittsburgh roads. I think to take full advantage, one would need to be on a track.

3. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    most of the time I am in race mode, harder shifts

LARRYH likes this.
  4. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Ok good to hear I assume as long as I am not doing anything reckless, which I would not, even in race mode, this car is still going to be quite planted?

5. Red 27

Red 27 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 2, 2008
    San Diego, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Race mode 100% if the road is dry and temps are normal for So Cal. I did my first 500 - 1000 in sport just for good luck.

XLNLIFE and whatheheck like this.
  6. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
  7. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Guys, I have one quick question of clarification with regard to this transmission. I have read the manual and searched the threads..

While I completely understand and agree with the rationale for keeping your foot on the gas while upshifting, it makes no sense intuitively to me to keep your foot on the throttle when down shifting. More often than not when downshifting, you are cruising probably 60 or 70 miles an hour in 4th, and let’s say you’re approaching a light and you want to start braking as you get to the light.....it’s logical that while braking, you’d be down shifting. So you can’t brake, have your foot on the gas and also downshift. Safe to assume that in those conditions, when just driving normally and starting to brake, whether for a corner or a light, you can downshift in this transmission without having your foot on the throttle?

8. Red 27

Red 27 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 2, 2008
    San Diego, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dave
    You can downshift when needed with or without throttle or brake input. Like driving a manual, sometimes I will shift into neutral, depends on the situation.

9. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    I’m in race mode 100% of the time unless it’s down pouring. Clutch Engages much faster help preserving it. I also lift off the throttle during shifts it makes a much smoother drive. However in a full acceleration run I keep my foot down. Treat the car just like you would a manual that’s my best advice. It for sure took time to get all the nuances of the tranny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whatheheck likes this.
  10. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Always in Race

whatheheck likes this.
  11. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Thank you for the replies guys! I’ve had the car less than a week, but if I already put 100 miles on it driving around my area with my kids and wife. It is an amazing vehicle I think I have also pretty much already gotten most of the hang of starting from stop by gently blipping the throttle to get going and quickly engaging the clutch. I plan to definitely try out race mode this weekend... safely of course and too down!

12. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I don’t think I’ve used regular mode more than once. I have always left it in RACE!

The shifts are quicker and the handling is better. There is practical side. The quicker shifts mean less clutch slip, which means longer clutch life!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

whatheheck likes this.
  13. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    Not saying I did this but if you are NOT in race mode and you hit 150mph,the car automatically down shifts and does not allow you to go faster.

XLNLIFE and cole328 like this.
  14. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
  15. KBR54

KBR54 Karting
    Owner

Sep 23, 2017
    Sylvan Lake Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    David Garratt
    Race 100% of the time as I was told to do by a Ferrari Tech...he said it is easier on the clutch.

16. Zack Hawker

Zack Hawker Karting

Feb 27, 2018
    Paradise Valley, Az
    Full Name:
    Zack Az Realtor
    Race mode on a 6 speed gated would just be suspension and e diff changes correct? Or are there any differences on throttle response? I have not really played with Race mode as the car is still new to me.

17. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
  18. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    That is just sweet......

19. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Race mode 99% of the time here as well.

With regards to downshifts and throttle position whether to let go of throttle or hold your current throttle position I encourage people to try both modes and feel the difference. I have many many times.

When downshifting and you let go of the throttle the ECU thinks you are coming to a stop so it will let go of power and your engine will start to choke as it is now unsure of what you are trying to do (pass or stop?)

So if you are passing someone my recommendation is to hold your current throttle position, downshift, rev goes up higher, then immediately mash the pedal once you are back on a straight line for a smoother & more powerful take off.

Now try the other method, you downshift so you let go of your throttle, you are now on lower RPM, then try and pass another car and see the difference and decide which technique is better. Remember that the higher RPM the more torque.

Remember also that throttle position matters a lot.

You want a faster passing mode, push the gas pedal hard then immediately downshift to the lower gear. Whoooaaaa!

My 2.5 cents.

Dan

20. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Thanks Dan… As we were trading in some email messages, that makes perfect sense. I guess the one area that was confusing me which is now common sense, is if you’re going 50 or 60 on the road and you see ahead cars are stopping, obviously you are braking, so as you’re braking you’re also contemporaneously off throttle. I guess the obvious options there, are either to pull the left paddle, and to hear the engine downshift itself, presumably with a nice revmatch, or just to brake normally , and let the car downshift itself from 4th to 3rd to 2nd.
    I think I was simply way overthinking this!

Evad and whatheheck like this.
  21. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

each time I drive my Dodge journey, I know I am driving in "race mode".
    The dodge doesn't have any E-diff, if you know what I mean.

for the f430, the race mode isn't more unsafe than you driving a normal car such as my dodge. It is all about the driver

22. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Always in race for me (but I don’t drive in rain). The traction control is a bit too aggressive for me in sport.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

VAF84 likes this.
  23. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    OK… It sounds like using common sense on the regular, race mode it is! I live here in South Florida, so not many twists and turns to get into trouble on. Just lots of nice long straightaways, which sounds like race mode would make for much more positive and engaging shifts

whatheheck likes this.
  24. ICULUKN

ICULUKN Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Ahwatukee AZ
    Full Name:
    G.P.
    Always race mode...

25. azzurribaggio

azzurribaggio Formula Junior

I spoke to several mechanics about the race v sport mode and how it affects the longevity of the clutch, all have told me both are the same on clutch wear. Race mode let's the car slide around a bit more and won't shift at red line for you.
    But Race mode is more fun to drive, but don't use it if one of your intentions is to make your clutch last longer per the mechanics I spoke with.