I'm sure it's been beaten to death---lift or no lift? | FerrariChat

I'm sure it's been beaten to death---lift or no lift?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by RWC58, Feb 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RWC58

RWC58 Karting

Oct 14, 2018
    Columbus Ohio
    Full Name:
    Robert W Crooks
    As I approach buying a 458 I'm rather tortured by the lift decision. It appears true driving enthusiasts would never consider a lift . That's the consensus I'm getting . Other folks would not even consider not having one for an everyday driver for rather apparent reasons being roads, driveways , potholes etc. It has been mentioned that the resale is better for cars with the lift . I've also heard the opinion that it's one more thing to go wrong on the car . This will be a normal recreationally driven vehicle for me.

Help me make an enlightened decision as I'm confused enough that I've passed on 2 cars that didn't have them.

2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    never once have I used the lift on my 488 (458 is similar) and that is taking it up and down off a lift in my garage weekly.

Jamie traina likes this.
  3. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I would be in the 'one more thing to go wrong with the car' camp.
    Are you concentrating on 2012 or later models? How many miles are on these cars you are seeing? In the USA mileage is 'King' and the lower the better!

4. MarkGT-Rari

MarkGT-Rari Rookie

Mar 30, 2018
    Metro Detroit, Michigan USA
    Full Name:
    Mark Elassal
    It all depends on you, I live in Michigan and any exotic without a lift is considered a junky build, no lift, no sale here. But I’m sure if I lived in say Utah, then it may be a different story. To us midwesters, if it doesn’t have a lift, then it is an undesirable build.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. RWC58

RWC58 Karting

Oct 14, 2018
    Columbus Ohio
    Full Name:
    Robert W Crooks
    Thanks for the replies . I've been mainly looking at 2010 -2012 models . I went to the Local Ferrari dealer and they said it's one more thing to go wrong but then added that they would not buy a car without one!! Go figure !

6. Baptist

Baptist Karting

Mar 2, 2008
    Standard car no need, if you are going to lower it a decent amount, lift is very handy.

7. jac

jac Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    Full Name:
    jack cohen
    I prefer the lift. I live in upstate NY. Mycar is getting delivered this week. My 2c

8. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

No way would I consider a car without a lift. My 458 didn’t have and I lived in constant fear of scraping going over speed bumps, etc. I ordered my 488 with the lift and there’s no question it saved me from scraping on a few occasions.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Napoli likes this.
  9. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    I have a Speciale which is also lowered with factory parts by the dealer. The lift is essential with my spec and I use it all the time. To be honest, even without lowering the 458 I would not buy one without the lift even if it is only for that “one” driveway or entrance a month that requires it or damage to your front end. I consider the lift a protection tool which helps me avoid front end damage when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viperjoe likes this.
  10. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Lift!

Viperjoe likes this.
  11. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    No lift with my Italia, no lift with my Speciale and no lift with my Pista
    But I haven’t lowered my cars

the lift is essential on Porsche 911 or Lamborghini Huracan not on FERRARI

LVP488 and SoCal to az like this.
  12. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I had the lift on my 458 and have it on my 488. Even with the lift I have scrapped the front end assuming I didn't need to activate it. I live in FL which is very flat, but I was leaving a hotel parking lot and there was what looked to be minor dip as you exit. Well, it wasn't so minor.

So my recommendation is get the lift - and use it.

brianweekes and Viperjoe like this.
  13. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    the front clearance of a 458 is really not bad. It's better than my r8 and way better than gt3. That is if you do not intend to drop the car. Oh if you did not notice yet, 458s have insane wheel gaps from factory. So if you leave the car stock and is accustomed to driving low supercars, chances are you dont need one because you will learn to check out the approaches and enter/exit in an angle etc. If you drive careless than you will scratch even a bmw or regular porsche and no lift will save you. My car has no lift, and not once did i wish i have it. The GT3 is the car that you cannot live without a lift, the front clearance is under 3". In short, I dont think a lift is a deal breaker. If you get a car without, just drive with a bit more care and put a skidplate as a backup in case you misjudge the angle. The 458 has decent front clearance due to the front bumper design that slowly flairs up towards the front

daflk, LVP488 and 458-Italia like this.
  14. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Here is a question, the cars that you have looked at with no lift , did you look under the car to see if there were any scratches ?

Ive seen demo cars, second hand cars with lifts and still have heaps of scratches underneath.

brianweekes likes this.
  15. Brambleworth

Brambleworth Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2011
    NY
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I really wanted a lift when I was looking for a 458 Spider, I found that the initial cost of the option really shrunk the pool of cars available. It is an expensive option that includes the AFS headlight system. I ended up without a lift and had plastic skid plates installed to help with the occasional scrape. My latest problem is that speed humps are being installed near my business and I can't get over them without scraping, so it has limited my route options to work.

16. Austex458

Austex458 Karting

May 30, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Romeo Manzanilla
    I would say a lift is a must. No bigger fear pulling into a parking garage that has large speedbumps. The lift will allow you to not stress as much when traveling on unknown roads. If your car is going to be a garage queen only driven to local car shows, then probably not needed.

brianweekes likes this.
  17. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    My buddies 458 doesn't have it and he never had an issue. My 355 is lower so I need to be much more careful. Come to think, my Maserati GT has a super low front. It would be nice on those but the 458 seems high enough for most situations.

18. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Wouldn't and haven't bought any sports or super car without.

19. cavsct94

cavsct94 Karting

Aug 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If you can get one, why not? If not, then I wouldn't let a good car pass because of it. I've never needed it with mine. I just approach speed bumps, driveways, etc., with care and at an angle.

20. FerrariFR33458

FerrariFR33458 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2017
    Wash DC Area
    Full Name:
    FR33
    I live in the Mid-Atlantic region of the USA. There is no way to go without it. Speed bumps, driveways, underground parking exits make it a necessity. If it breaks I will fix it. If I was scared of a car having mechanical issues, I would have bought a Honda.

Jamie traina and Elsi like this.
  21. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I'd never buy a car with a lift. Be smart, install a skid plate and call it a day. It's the ultimate, never fails, light weight protection under all circumstances.

The 458 has pretty good clearance. I lowered my 458 by 15mm in front and rarely had any issues. Also had a front skid plate that was about 8 to 10mm thick. Worked like a charm

Ray

Wazmo, jm2 and Dave rocks like this.
  22. rttj777

rttj777 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 3, 2014
    Georgia
    Mine was the first of all the 458's I looked at with absolutely zero under nose damage. Whether that is the result of the Lift or the previous owner I can't say. (but, I really appreciate him!) Side note: I have several cars in climate controlled storage a couple of miles away. I surveyed the driveway with an assistant and can not make it up (or down) the driveway without using the lift. Also, my neighborhood surprised us with some very attractive but irritating speed "humps" (their word) the other day, so thank goodness for the lift.

of2worlds likes this.
  23. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
  24. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Lift. Makes driveways less stressful.

F485 and Clay512TR like this.
  25. flifer

flifer Karting

Mar 3, 2016
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If you don't need a lift (have great roads and never enter steep driveways) I still view it as a plus

To me it's like PPF film... Not cheap, but when you're driving around in such an expensive car it's the little things like knowing you have a lift, or knowing you won't get that rock chip due to PPF film that makes the drive so much less stressful.

I use the lift anytime I "think" I may scrape my front so I can drive up no worries without having to creep up the incline at a ridiculous angle causing all the people behind me to honk and give them another reason to hate on the guy in the Ferrari.

Viperjoe likes this.