488 Replacement | Page 98 | FerrariChat

488 Replacement

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ajr550, Feb 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009

Yes but the R8 and Huracan are also NA
    . The 488 was arguably considered inferior as far as response, sound and appeal. I’ve owned a Performante, Huracan as well as a 458 and 488. I’d say the 488 was considered inferior by many including myself. The Huracan replacement will likely be a V8 forced induction engine (not a V6). The same with Mclaren and Audi. I think the V6 from Ferrari will be less desirable but we will have to see.

2. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009

Sorry Mayor but I disagree. You can never have too much power/speed. And with all the new electronic nannies a lot of this power is actually usable. Go drive a F430 Scuderia and then a Pista and tell me you can’t appreciate the difference!

SoCal to az likes this.
  3. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Understood, but then what, aside from the hybrid element is justifying a price 2x that of a Pista? I don't think a carbon tub for their lowest volume/highest priced quasi-hypercar is out of the question.

red passion, tekaefixe and of2worlds like this.
  4. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    When you compare the current price of a 488 GTB with the only other mid-engine series that we have heard Ferrari will offer in the near future there is a huge gap between old and new pricing for a V8 car. Dealers will milk the value of the new BB every way they can including premiums of all sorts. It is not just the MSRP price of the car that contributes to it's real cost to the first buyer.

5. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    It's out of the question because Ferrari has said it's out of the question. Both the new V6 t/h and the V8 t/h will be on the new platform, which is aluminum.

6. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The BB is the real 488 replacement and as noted by others Ferrari is going very 'up market' with their pricing. They see the huge premiums brand new models are being re-purchased for and seem to want a greater share than in the past. The aluminum is something they are very committed to as an alternative to the carbon especially for series models.

Senna1994 and sampelligrino like this.
  7. Forza Scuderia

Forza Scuderia Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2015
    I can’t predict or factor in dealer premium mark ups. Some dealers may do that but many do not.
    No matter what car it is or who they are selling it to. My predictions are based purely on MSRP.

of2worlds likes this.
  8. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Makes sense. Very much looking forward to the reveal of the 'space ship'.

of2worlds likes this.
  9. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Between 450 and 500 would be my guess as well. As you said, it's not limited, it's "just" a new model in F's lineup, fully focused on performance, while the 488 successor will be more about fun to drive.

G. Pepper likes this.
  10. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Curious times ahead, what era of Ferrari am I entering into! I thought it was 458/Speciale, then 488/Pista, then 488 replacement/Pista replacement all incrementally increasing in MSRP/price. Seems like this next jump after the surprising incoming facelift is quite different especially with the segmentation of the sports models vs. "driver's" models. Had fun reading the capital market docs from last September the other week.

Once my car arrives that is the plan God willing :) It's going to depreciate one way or another and the money is spent either way. PPF time then hit the canyons!

Bmill, mofatmi9, Bundy and 2 others like this.
  11. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    The full presentation is available here https://edge.media-server.com/m6/p/ietfjftk in case someone wants to listen to Galliera, Leiters etc. talking about all the points highlighted in the slides (in order).

sampelligrino likes this.
  12. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Of course you can because public roads are not being rebuilt to accommodate such performance. Any given stretch of road has a maximum speed at which it can be driven, either based on the actual physical constraints itself or something like a speed limit.

The amount of time spent varying your interaction with the car constantly decreases as performance increases, and that means a more boring drive. Hands require less movement, foot touches the gas pedal less, foot touches the brake pedal less.

The only way you could maintain the level of interaction with ever increasing performance would be to modify all roads and speed limits, which doesn't happen.

13. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I wonder if Aluminum Lucido is a new version of the old F12 color Aluminio Opaco but with a shine? Or polished bare aluminum? Aluminum paint sounds far more practical for a Portofino!
    The classic shade of Verde Pino is a very interesting direction to.
    Further the use of an exclusive shade of blue from a customer color is a wonderful tribute to that owner's paint choice. Something that previously happened when Grigio Coburn another customer paint was chosen for a Ferrari show car.
    The paint colors chosen for the Ferrari show cars are earnestly debated by the very top management at Ferrari when they decide on the show car build specs.

jm2 likes this.
  14. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #2439 noone1, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    Because I think it's unlikely that the FL will be a big enough departure from the 488 to entice people who willingly didn't buy a 488, or those who already had/have a 488.

I believe very, very few FL buyers will be upgrading from a 488. Likewise, I believe very few people who disliked the 488 for the last 3 years will suddenly be in love with a new bumper.

I believe the FL will largely be sold to non-enthusiasts and less savvy customers.

Here's a question: Where are all the posts on the forum about people getting on the list for the FL or talking about allocation? They don't really exist. There is a 10000 page thread about Pista allocation, but no one is asking about FL availability...

15. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    If I recall correctly, the launch color of the Portofino was called "Alluminio" too (with a matte/opaco finish). Might be the same color, but metallic this time.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds likes this.
  16. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    In over 2400 replies to this thread this is the first time anyone used the word "frenzy" for the new releases! I realize this is your prediction and agree they need a lot of attraction but as far as I can see, Ferrari has said very little (as always) and its the owners and potential owners are creating all the hype. There hasn't even been a single picture leaked to date. We'll know shortly what's being offered so I'll just take it slow and ignore the self hype. Have stated a while ago that they are going hybrid and that's that.

After my time with the brand and on FChat, I would say there are three big concerns always coming up (among others). Depreciation, batteries and electronics, and software. The new planned releases increase these concerns many times over especially for high production cars. Substandard paint and warrantee are also up there. We'll see how things shake out.

As far as a V6-turbo-hybrid - no thanks on all three! Not a draw but a drawback. Perhaps a giggle with the younger crowd. The ICE engine part in what's coming out will stink compared to the current NA ICE engines on the F12s, 812s and LaF - my prediction. The sound won't be there either. I will particularly be interested in the Ferrari magic of making all the systems work together as well as how the in-house design does on their own stylistically. However, the FL is still largely a 458/488 until its final replacement. Hope they do a better job than the 812 interpretation of the F12 when dealing with the same chassis though. You can't have journo videos start with "Looks aside.....".

17. manya81

manya81 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2008
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Ferrari said that 10 or 15 years ago,
    things change and I still think we will be surprised in this matter.

18. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    It was ferr9000 who first broached the idea of the 488 replacement being like a 'spaceship' in it's revolutionary design. Later comments like 'scary fast' and the moniker 'big brother' cemented the connotation of this new model as being something special from Ferrari. I would imagine the first new mid-engine V8 from Ferrari since 2009 would certainly create a bit of a 'frenzy' in the marketplace. With apologies to Alfred Hitchcock; the original master of Frenzy.

F2003-GA and Bundy like this.
  19. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    People talk about the BB as if it’s the second coming. Competition is not sleeping.
    I will giggle if BB is a 950 hp car with 1700kg and Mac launches a 1050 hp with 1500kg AND full carbon tub.

SoCal to az likes this.
  20. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009

That’s because the FL hasn’t been officially announced yet !

21. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    SO, 0-60 in 1/2 a second isn't enough? It has to be 1/4 a second? Then it has to be 1/8 second?

My point is very few ever even come close to these kinds of times on city streets. On a track -- yes. On city streets, it gets borderline dangerous if not actually dangerous. I'm not saying they should stop for the danger factor. I'm saying that in a practical sense, I'd substitute a more nimble, lighter, car for one that is a few 10ths of a second slower 0-60.

I think at some point you have to practical to the driving situation and not look just at "numbers".

I'm completely consistent on this. When people said the 720s is faster than the 488 gt, I said "meh! Who cares! Its ugly. I'll drive the prettier car because I'll never know the difference anyway but my eyes for sure know what is attractive and what is not."

22. Forza Scuderia

Forza Scuderia Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2015
    We don’t need spy pics to know what it is coming. We have some truly great sources on here and they provide a real service to the Ferrari community. Also a good amount of the intel about the roadmap has been openly declared by the company itself across various events and presentations.

I also internally lament about the
    ‘V-6 ification’ of much of the Ferrari line-up in coming years. But it’s unavoidable for them. Emissions regulations are pile driving the ICE.
    I am somewhat hopeful because of a few things...
    1. The new entry level base model turbo charged 6-cylinder 911 sounds great. Not NA great but great.
    2. Ferrari did a pretty decent job of making the turbo charged 488 sound good. Not NA good but good.
    3. Let’s remind ourselves that Ferrari has their technical team pouring enormous effort into engineering better sound into their turbo-charged powerplants. I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt and believe that this next generation of turbo cars both in
    6-cylinder form and 8-cylinder form are going to sound even better than the 488 GTB and Pista respectively.

Also just my personal opinion but
    I think the 812 is a masterpiece of design. I understand it is polarizing and I understand the counter view points but I personally love it. I love both the exterior and the interior.
    I think it is the greatest front engine car in Ferrari history and I think it is the best sounding road car to ever leave the factory. Period. They really did the business on that engine and the sound of that engine.
    Forza Ferrari!

F2003-GA, stavura, Thecadster and 5 others like this.
  23. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Agree completely. To my eyes, the 812 is the prettiest modern GT car ever made. A true masterpiece visually, dynamically, and aurally. I don’t really miss our F12, which honestly surprised me. The 812 is that good.

Your other recent points are also very insightful. Interesting times ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stavura, TSOYBELIS, Bmill and 3 others like this.
  24. Motorwerks

Motorwerks Formula Junior

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    So when the new replacement arrives after 2 years, everyone will receive one immediately on launch day?

F2003-GA and Doug23 like this.
  25. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Ferrari are the world's engine masters. Nothing comes remotely close. Also my opinion, I think the F12TDF sounds better than the 812s and is a better engine for what interests me. We will see if they make a TDF version of the 6.5L but those in the know say unlikely. Would be their ultimate ICE achievement if they did. Best.

of2worlds and Doug23 like this.