Grey market 360? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Grey market 360?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Deadshort, Feb 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    IMO the pool of 360's to choose from is quite large as exotics go. Smaller of course for three pedal cars. There are currently a lot of 360's out there for sale that "season on the market" for months and even some I have followed for over a year. With that in mind I can't help to think a euro car is going to be a tougher sell with so many nice USA models available.
    So yes, justified or not, the euro cars will not bring the equivalent money in most cases.

2. jackgt

jackgt Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2015
    california
    Full Name:
    Jack
    In my research I was told by the company that retrofits them that there were a lot of euro 360's because there were not enough being imported to the US at the time. Does anyone know the difference between the grey/US spec car? What I know--Rear fog lights, different gauge faces, no pre-cats. I had the original variators so I replaced them when I changed the timing belts. Don't know about the ECM mapping. I have never owned trailer queens, pedigree does not matter. I used to race rare non-clone mopars that you never see on the road anymore. Not really concerned about resale value either, it runs like a raped ape.

3. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    There is a very long list of differences but most don't amount to much. Somewhere I have a list of what was changed when my old car was federalized, when I get a chance I will look for it. But yes, the ECUs have a different programming, bracing in the doors, bumper/crash structures, headers, air injection, a bunch of small lighting changes, … the list is long.

4. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    How did you find out about the 2 old campaigns?

5. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    Mine meet both criteria.

6. AuthenticRebuilds

Feb 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    david
    Odd Id find this today, last night I found a car I might be interested in as a project and pulled a carfax. The car has a great history, no accidents, ect but I noticed carfax wasnt showing how many owners or have the highlights option, or a buyback option vs other cars ive checked. It also was maintained very frequently by ferrari dealers as it was all reported. I found a pic of the cars vin in the door and yup, its not a white sticker with a bar code but an import sticker saying whwere the vin is. On the carfax it had an import date a year after it was built but at first I didnt think anything of it since us and euro cars are,,,imported. Also it spent alot of time in california where it passed emissions. It had a few failures in a row but then it passed again. I thought id throw my findings out there with whats been said.

7. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Sounds like you found a fantastic car!

There is a difference between someone who wants to buy the car for personal use and enjoyment vs someone who is buying the car just to make buck.

Don't let the car flipper guys that discriminate euro cars because they are too lazy to check out the car's history scare you away!

Good luck!

Ps, how are things going with your deposit??

8. AuthenticRebuilds

Feb 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    david
    Im just waiting on day 15 to come and go to call discover and be sure its back where it belongs, thanks for asking. Im sure Karma will bite those guys in the ass.
    The car I was talking about is actually on Copart so there is still some mystery to it. It would be clean title, no wrecks, but why would you sell it through Copart unless you dont wany any KNOWN issue to come back on you as a seller. As much as its been serviced id think that belts were done at proper intervals so I wonder about the f1 transmission maybe having some of its common problems. The odometer is around 49000. The guage has KM under it but does anybody know if the speedos were reflashed to reflect that number in miles or is it still kilometers? Then that car would be more like 30k MILES. Id like a project but Id have to get it cheap and lately ive seen cars going for stupid high money on Copart. To get it cheap enough to do a manual conversion would be sweet!
    I am still eyeing the white 348 on ebay and talked to somebody in LA that is very knowlegable and they may be able to go by and be another set of eyes for me. the dealer and I are pretty close on figures.

9. jackgt

jackgt Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2015
    california
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I was hoping that my odometer was not miles as it says KM but it clocks miles. The problem with smog in CA is they changed the rules in CA. You used to pass 2 monitors now you have to pass 3 which the car was never designed to do. Even if you can breath out the tail pipe it will not pass. Porsche and other companies sent in the paper work to the state to get exemptions but Ferrari did not.

10. AuthenticRebuilds

Feb 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    david
    Thanks for that info.

11. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I don't think that is true for Porsche. I have a 1977 TC which a couple of years ago I had a real tough time getting it to pass even though I had never had much trouble befor the CA procedure change. I finally did get it passed. Fortunately I found a mechanic with a dyno and a smog shop and he got it to pass with a $50 dyno plus the smog fee. Before that I gone to several shops the Pdealer recommended and no go. The dealer didn't have a dyno so could not help me get passed.