Understanding Ferrari's sticky interiors - a technical guide | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Understanding Ferrari's sticky interiors - a technical guide

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Dave rocks, Apr 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Hello Folks,

So here is what happens when someone tried to "clean the parts" and fails ;) (Ferrari 458)

There are right ways and wrong ways to do things.. (Bye - bye graphics)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Similar to the above photo, today we received another 458 control pod from a customer to refinish. Pay particular attention to how poor the coating is adhering (or not) to the base plastic. Our coatings have excellent adhesion.

Only a company such as Sticky RX can fully refinish a damaged part of this nature :)

virendra and Qavion like this.
  3. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Dave I presume you are going to post pics of the finished product once complete ? I wouldn't mind seeing some video of the process as well if possible.

4. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Hey Mike,

While this is not the exact one shown in the video above, it's one we finished a couple weeks back. No different outcome for the one we are doing now as our process is the same regardless of the condition of the part as received.

Here is a video too:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

IcedAmericano likes this.
  5. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Very nice job Dave. The finished product is immaculate. Dare I say better than factory ;)

6. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Hi Dave, I was about to ask you about the kerning issues with the "74" in your video, but then I saw this post with the original, and I see it came that way from the factory - that surprises me they would get it that wrong. It's the sort of thing that irks my OCD as I would always see it.

7. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    What most people don't realize is that Ferrari does not make these parts - they are made by subcontractors and often, multiple subs make the same part so there can be differences between each sub contractor. Regardless, we replicate exactly which in some cases means we replicate mistakes too. Our goal is the most factory correct restoration possible.

8. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Yeah - I'm just surprised the factory were ok with them. I guess it's just something that bothers me as my father owned a printing factory so I learned about it from a young age.

9. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Here are the follow up videos - thank you for watching.

10. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Dave, I have s late 2014 458 Italia and dread having to face this problem. But your work seems excellent, so I am happy there is a solution. I live all the way in Manila, Philippines and will have to courier birds to you when the time comes.

It seems that the steering column surround is getting slightly tacky. Is this subject to the problem as well? If so, do you work on pantels such as the surrounds as well? Many thanks; your videos and photos are great and reassuring.

Best,

Andy

11. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek

Hi Andy - yes, we do all and every part that can get sticky. We do steering column surrounds daily. We also do colors that match the leather (non black) such as Crema, Beige, Cuoio to name a few.

Here are some 599 Steering covers (just the photos I have handy)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Thanks, Dave.

Andy

13. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Do carbon fiber trim pieces have this coating?

14. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    They do not.

15. Cmjohnson599

Cmjohnson599 Rookie

Jun 5, 2017
    USA
    Full Name:
    Charles Johnson
    Okay, so I understand there is a coating which fails, and I can send my parts in for refinishing. Clearly your firm understands these plastics and accountability better than the OEM. I think you should approach Ferrari and Maserati and offer the finishing to the new cars. There is plenty of blame being directed toward the owners, such as our habit of eating fried chicken and mayonnaise while driving and then touching the buttons? Seriously? :) At the heart of this problem, there is an unexpected chemical reaction between the coating and some conditioner, dressing, or cleaner. The truth is, all plastics have their unique foe which destroys them, and I’m disappointed that this has not been identified and communicated by the factory. But in the meantime, while they are not addressing the issue, thank you for helping us out.

16. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Charles, so the failure is time based due to the coating chemistry breaking down. All other factors such as heat, cleaning products, etc will accelerate the failure but it's not the root cause.

Ferrari / Maserati could change to a hard touch coating tomorrow. While I'm flattered, they don't need us to do that ;)

17. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Hi Larry, we use hard touch coatings that will never fail. Our coatings match the OEM nearly perfect. In a couple limited cases, we use a soft touch on rubber type parts that are required to flex as the hard touch would crack.

Right now with translucents and colors that match the leather such as Cuoio, Beige, Crema, Rosso - I believe we spray around 15 different colors :)

As far as feel, our coatings lay down very flat (no texture) and that along with the chemistry, the coatings feel silky / slippery and clients often comment how they feel soft ;)

f355spider and LARRYH like this.
  18. RRRREDRVR

RRRREDRVR Karting

Jul 28, 2004
    Aptos CA
    Full Name:
    M Kitchen
    I used Sticky RX for everything in my '95 F355 except the ashtray and the steering column surround. I am completely satisfied and overjoyed at their refinishing, especially the climate control panel which looks PERFECT. They wouldn't accept the ashtray as the plastic housing was cracked and broken in two. I ended up repairing and refinishing that myself (replacement ashtrays are $$$ and/or non-existent), AND I fixed the mounting issue that caused it to crack in the first place. The steering column surround had the finish scratched early on when servicing the instrument cluster before it got sticky. We just stripped it and repainted it at that point, so it never did get sticky. I was recently in a friend's 458 and EVEN THAT is now sticky. The problem also exists on many other cars (Porsche, Audi, Maserati, Ferrari, and others).

19. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I apologize that I don't recognize your username to match with your real name but I do thank you for your support and nice comments.

For at least a couple years now we have been stocking new, OEM ashtrays as so many are destroyed. Mirror damage we do repair.

20. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I agree Dave. The bare plastic looks horrendous

Dave rocks likes this.
  21. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Dave meant to say “minor damage we repair”
    Not mirror damage
    Although they likely repair mirrors as well. Ha ha

Dave rocks likes this.
  22. dwe8922

dwe8922 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    David
    What do you do for the Mannetino label on a 430? Have you refinished that?

23. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  24. dwe8922

dwe8922 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    David
    Neat solution. I need to get in touch with you about some of my 430 pieces. On my old 360, I just cleaned them to bare plastic and that worked for me then. This car I plan to keep long term....

Dave rocks likes this.
  25. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Dave you do great work. Question- Do you have videos on removing parts needing refinishing. If they must be removed by a dealer are the cars left at the dealer shops for extended periods of time awaiting the refinished parts. In such cases approx. turn around times?

sampelligrino likes this.