Possibly the dumbest question ever | FerrariChat

Possibly the dumbest question ever

Discussion in '360/430' started by Azzuro Blue, Feb 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Azzuro Blue

Azzuro Blue Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    West Palm, FL
    I have an azzurro blue/tan 360 Syder which I personally find one of the most beautiful Ferraris ever. But it sits in my garage because the F-1 transmission is so unenjoyable in comparison to the dual clutch transmissions in My Lamorghini Huracan and McLaren. I haven't been on F-chat for a long time so I am curious whether anyone has ever tried to come up with a major upgrade which would substantially improve the performance of these F-1s. There are a lot of great Ferraris out there with these antiquated transmissions so I am sure trhe potentail market is large.

J360M likes this.
  2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    This is why manuals are better for 15 year old + cars.

vrsurgeon, Shamile, climb and 3 others like this.
  3. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    It's never going to be a DCT. That said, are you sure it's setup optimal? You keep it in sport mode, right? You ship with the paddles at mid- high RPM's?

4. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
  5. RossoC360

RossoC360 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 20, 2008
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    CS TSU upgrade with a well adjusted PIS?

6. Azzuro Blue

Azzuro Blue Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    West Palm, FL
    I did the upgrade to the CS TCU firmware but really didn't notice any difference. I also didn't notice a difference between sport and regular mode. Slippage off the line is my biggest complaint although the shifts seem sloppy as well. The upgrade and last clutch were done at an independent with 2 factory trained mechanics and the appropriate computer. If you guys are telling me I should get modest slippage of the line and crisp shifts, perhaps I need to visit the Ferrari dealer. Are there any local F-chatters who might be able to show me what an optimal shifting trans is like?

7. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Contact Matt Burns in Miami and have him take a look. I have a 355 F1 that shifts super fast (no, not like a DCT) so something sounds wrong.

Matt Burns
    (954) 328-2089
    [email protected]
    Exotic Performance Engineering
    10788 SW 188th Street
    Miami, FL 33157

BlacktopRacing and daytona355 like this.
  8. RossoC360

RossoC360 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 20, 2008
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    BTW i agree with you about the 360, I absolutely love the styling. The spider with its leather wrapped roll bars, large glass engine engine cover and challenge grille to me give it the perfect combination of special styling cues making it my favorite styled (non-hyper) Ferrari.

meantestarossa and Graz like this.
  9. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Well, in a couple more years there will be a transmission that will make the ones in your Huracan and McLaren feel the same way. It never ends. ;)

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    That is not the dumbest question

The dumbest question I got was on my F430 spider at a gas station. A lady looked at the Prancing horse one the back and asked "Is this the new Mustang?"

tomconte, E60 M5, brookliner7 and 7 others like this.
  11. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    why not go buy gated shifted Ferrari, really experience what driving is all about why would you want 3 paddle shifted cars ? playing devils advocate i would not think it matters how fast it shifts it would bore me half to death in 30 minutes drive maybe on track u can learn left foot brake thats all paddle is good for my estimation sell spyder 360 buy 430 manual or 355 manual or just go with the F40 thats the best drive experience on entire planet ! lol

12. Azzuro Blue

Azzuro Blue Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    West Palm, FL
    My 360 is a rare beautiful color combo and looks fabulous in the garage, which is enough for many Ferrari owners. If I switch Ferraris it would be to a 488. I've had enough manual trans cars for a lifetime.

daytona355 likes this.
  13. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    You can buy parts to convert it to manual. Not cheap but it's been done.

14. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Same thing happened to me!

15. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Maybe sell it and get a manual? I can't stay out of my 360 stick because it is so satisfying to drive. Andrew mentioned a manual conversion, which is possible, but it would probably be cheaper and less hassle to sell the F1 and get a manual. That said, I'm thinking of getting a 612, which has an upgraded F1/a transmission, and if I don't like it, I have a place here locally that can convert it to manual (I don't care about any resale hit; that would be a problem for the executor of my will). :)

Nospinzone likes this.
  16. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Add me to the "it has a horsey on it so it must be a Mustang" group....

Thought her husband was going to pull a Ralph Kramden move and send her straight to the moon when she said "is that the new Mustang?"

espvh and G. Pepper like this.
  18. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    I think the "major update" is called an F430. Kidding aside, it sounds like your F1 system is performing sub par. Contact the guy Dave Rocks mentioned to have it checked. I'm not 100% sure how a properly working F1 gearbox should feel in a 360, but I suspect it shouldn't be too far off that of an F430's. Mine feels almost like the newer double clutch gearbox. As a note, the slower you drive, the slower it shifts. But if you're pedal to the medal at 6000rpms, it should shift as fast as you blink

LP360 and Dave rocks like this.
  19. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    A security guard at my building said the same thing when he saw my 612. Doh.

20. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    #20 KC360 FL, Feb 26, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    My 2003 F1 shifts wonderfully (also an Azzuro blue / Crema combo). Crisp and hard under acceleration; civilized in traffic. And I always keep it in "Sport" mode.
    If you had the TCU updated it's hard to believe you can find fault with it. Perhaps as suggested, it's got issues (?)

I too have had stick 911's all my life. This Ferrari is my first paddle shift car of any kind so I really can't compare it to others with paddle shifting. I will agree that the take offs when cold do tend to have a little more "slippage" than I would like. But with that said, you also have to find the way the car wants to be driven from a stop. There is a technique to it.
    I have no regrets buying an F1 car and I did drive a three pedal 360. I decided it wasn't for me after becoming accustomed to the precise shifts of my 911s.

I have classic motorcycles too. Once a review writer said about one of my British bikes: "You cannot ride the machine and force it to be the ride you want it to be. You must ride the bike the way it wants to be ridden."

IMO, the F1 takes a little bit of finesse and learning (ie. accelerator input) The same I have to do with my other cars that have been sticks. Drive them and get to know them.

To add, like yourself, the color combo is a knock out for me. So maybe I'm willing to accept some things that may be cured by a dual clutch. But I really don't see myself parting with my 360 anytime soon.

LP360, HH11 and Dave rocks like this.
  21. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    A 612?! Wow.

22. J360M

J360M Karting

Nov 29, 2018
    #22 J360M, Feb 26, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    Beautiful combo...I have owned and driven manual and F1 versions of several Ferrari models. It’s all in the setup and how the car has been maintained. I moved from a manual 360 to an F1 with a Challenge TCU which has been setup brilliantly and I would not switch back. It’s just perfect both in traffic and on the open road. So I think unless you are dead set against an F1 experience (and that’s personal taste), I am sure that your issue is just in the setup. I too have driven poorly setup F1’s and they can be atrocious!

I also spotted that you mention the difference in sport mode is hardly noticeable for you - that tells me something is not quite right as with mine the difference is night and day.

Good luck with it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

23. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Interesting, I never found my 360F1 unenjoyable but I have found every DCT car unenjoyable, (boring) from the trans point of view.

24. LP360

LP360 Karting

Jun 12, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Personal preference I guess but I love my 360 F1, Its fantastic to me. It isn't like brand new cars of today with DCT but that's what I like about it. The way it changes gears and throws me back in the seat is the best. I was taken out passenger in a brand new BMW M4 a while ago and found it a little too 'perfect' for me as I could hardly tell when it changed gear (apart from the revs).

Mine came with the CS TCU and find it very enjoyable even in traffic, so glad I didn't buy manual (yes I said it lol). I have driven a normal F1 360 on the track but that was a few years ago and can't remember how that shifted gears (slept since then lol).

Dave rocks likes this.
  25. Azzuro Blue

Azzuro Blue Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    West Palm, FL
    It is sounding alot like my car's trans should perform better. Do any of you have experience with Ferrari of Palm Beach or Palm Beach Presteige Auto which works on a significant number of Ferraris and did my clutch and TCU firmware CS upgrade?