Prime Air 767 Down, 3 Aboard | FerrariChat

Prime Air 767 Down, 3 Aboard

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Jacob Potts, Feb 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Very sad. N1217A.

2. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    They are reporting a three mile long debris field.

3. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Correction they are reporting a three mile long crash scene. They were able to obtain video of the crash as well. Said the plane was in a steep descent and didn't appear to try to recover.

4. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
    Here is the aircraft-to-ground communications.

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Looks like they had not even reached the line of thunderstorms yet, but downwind of cells can get pretty nasty.

6. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    My first thoughts in my old head is the incident with an L-1011 at Dallas (I think) that caught in a micro burst . I saw several in Florida and I think that I got caught in one on my PPL exam.

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Would seem that a microburst is a likely cause, but that far ahead of the squall line?

8. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Two of my pilot friends agree on the micro burst theory.

9. Kuba

Kuba Rookie

Sep 19, 2013
    I'd go for cargo displacement.

10. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    App called out weather near VANNN, which is a waypoint on the 26L IAP's. The flight was headed directly towards VANNN up to the point where they started to rapidly descend, at which point they also turned left.

11. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Would an old 767 like this, that spent almost all of it's life with foreign airlines (Canada, China, LOT, etc) prior to freighter conversion have had doppler microburst radar?

It was built after the mandate of doppler on US planes.

Doppler was mandated after the L-1011 microburst crash in Dallas (1985) that Bob referenced above... planes prior to that had no doppler to detect microbursts.

Don't know if foreign registered aircraft typically had doppler... or if it would have / could have been installed when it was converted.

12. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Video taken from a jail a mile or two away shows the plane in a steep descent and, per the NTSB, doesn't show the plane even trying to recover supposedly. Would a microburst cause the plane to go into such a steep nose down descent? Asking as I genuinely have no idea, not to debate.

13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I flew in a United 767 that passed through a squall line descending toward LGA near the end of a flight from DEN in 1988. We bounced around a lot for about 8 minutes; all you could see outside was a constant gray. But I was never worried about the integrity of the airplane (maybe because I worked on its design).

14. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Nose down for the amount of time it was in that state that is. The flight tracker showed it plummeting for quite some time.

15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    They got some additional film from a camera and it showed the aircraft intact and descending at a very steep angle to impact. I even thought of a crew incapacitation from inhaling something, but that seems a stretch.

16. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'm a 767 Captain at Big Purple out of Memphis. Been in severe and routinely in moderate to heavy moderate turbulence. The Boeings handle it remarkably well, albeit no fun. Undeclared hazardous material/dangerous goods, which can lead to smoke/fumes/fires are a freight pilot's biggest concern. Watching how this unfolds with keen interest. I don't think it was weather related, but you never know. No radio transmissions during the rapid descent to my knowledge. Fair skies and tailwinds to the crew.

crinoid, Kuba and Jaguar36 like this.
  17. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    It will be very interesting to see the full inventory of what these poor souls were transporting. I often think about the cargo guys...God only knows exactly what is in some of those containers, irrespective of manifest descriptions. Peace.

18. Kuba

Kuba Rookie

Sep 19, 2013
  19. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Suicide? Do we know who the third person was? Check pilot, deadhead pilot, or other supernumary?

20. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

It's been reported that he was a deadhead Captain with Mesa Airlines n the jumpseat.

21. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
  22. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
  23. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  24. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Here's a yahoo who claims the crash was a hoax! What's disturbing is that, in the comments below, a lot of other yahoos believe him!