OK, non believers ! | Page 4 | FerrariChat

OK, non believers !

Discussion in '348/355' started by yelcab, Nov 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tatry68

tatry68 Karting

Oct 27, 2013
    Chicago Suburbs
    Full Name:
    Stan
    The cost to replace these chains on an older Audi 4.2 will often be more than the value of the car.

2. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    I’ve never seen anything like that? That’s crazy.

3. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Fantastic, isn't it? For me it's like being a little kid again, and going to a science museum where they have one of those giant contraptions that has the ball bearings that roll down little tracks and take different paths...I can still stand there for hours, mesmerized.

sjd

4. Redlyne_mr2

Redlyne_mr2 Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2009
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Ryan D
    Thank god I did my major this winter. My last major was done 8K miles/7 years ago. The tensioners were super gritty and would have more than likely failed on me if I drove the car this summer. Belt was fine.

5. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I just did mine. The bill was much more than a typical 348 engine out major. Some of that was other “while you’re there” things of course.

But these cars are wonderful. And where else can you get a smallish, 340-hp V8, AWD, 6-speed manual wagon with Recaro seats? We’ve had ours since 2010 (replaced an allroad 6-speed manual with third row seating). I did the timing service at 161k. Actuators, chain, guides, mounts, all hoses, oil lines, cam cover gaskets, AC compressor, etc, etc.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

steved033 and mclaudio like this.
  6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Ha, and people are afraid of the 348 engine out service. Doing anything of any significant on almost any Audi involves major surgery.

carnutdallas likes this.
  7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    They were always like that. Do a clutch on a Super 90 or 100 LS some time.

You don't see too many old Audis on the road.

8. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    step 1: remove front of car....

jeez...

sjd
    (I want his shop)

9. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Actually, removing the nose or moving the core support to “service position” isn’t usually that bad. Many of these cars the timing system is on the front. But on the V8 S4. haha.

steved033 likes this.
  10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    On an Audi, it takes about 3-4 hours to remove bumper, bumper support, drain AC, remove AC condersor, drain coolant, remove radiator, oil cooler, head lights, front wheels, wheel wells, intercooler, to get to the clean front end of the engine shown in the picture. And if you end up taking the engine out like what was shown, that is another all day job. Not a deal killer but unless you are committed to service, that is not something you want to do casually.