Sticky Gooey Buttons Vents - How to Fix Cheap and Simple Video | FerrariChat

Sticky Gooey Buttons Vents - How to Fix Cheap and Simple Video

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by spiderscott, Feb 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Hey Guys

Ive just put this video together to show you a simple and cheap way to fix (some) of the interval Sticky parts (switches, buttons, dash, vents etc) that many of our Ferrari models suffer with.

Hope it helps.

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    When taking apart the lever switches, there is no need to remove the lever itself from the switch body unless you will be painting the lever. It's important to know, the switch covers are not all the same, nor are the switch levers and of course the switches themselves (body with electronics are different too).

It's true that in most cases the icon can be cleaned off, but in some cases the icon has been damaged or scratch and those need a proper refinish with laser etched graphics.

Here is an example of icons that have seen better days and we are fully refinishing them.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

spiderscott likes this.
  3. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I don’t have any sticky switches on my 328 but I did have a gooey, sticky button on the steering wheel of my 2008 S-class Benz.

Because I didn’t want to mess around with removing the steering wheel, I tried a little experiment: I sprayed some Rain-X De-icer (the kind that comes in an orange spray bottle) onto the switch. [This de-icer contains some pretty powerful solvents and is also great for removing that cloudy film that sometimes accumulates on the inside of the windshield and backlight].

After a minute or so I wiped the sticky switch with a paper towel. Lo and behold! The sticky goo came right off and never returned!

Alan
    N.J.

Ray Smith and spiderscott like this.
  4. Motorama

Motorama Karting

Jul 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stijn Van Loffelt
    Nail paint remover . Comes off very easily without damage..

Ray Smith and spiderscott like this.
  5. Mike Milbourne

Nov 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    Michael Milbourne
    Any tips for getting the springs back in to the switches when you are re assembling them ? Ive actually found two that didn’t have any! I am restoring a set of 355 switches. can you actually clean the little icon plates with anything and not remove the icon ?

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    You might find more info with a search on the 348/355 forum, Michael. I've had no personal experience with the switches, but using very thin feeler gauges and not losing the white the white tips on the end of the springs were among the tips. The white tips are essential to proper operation. The professionals can reportedly clean the switches without removing the the icons.

7. AndyandyHall

AndyandyHall Rookie

Mar 11, 2013
    UK
    As someone who has used both Stickynomore and Sticky RX for solutions on my F355 Spider I would always go back to Sticky RX.

These really aren't cheap fixes when you add carriage and tax but their quality of finish for the most important parts was worth it to me and Dave was super helpful.

All that said I have just bought a 575M and I'm going to try to clean up the handbrake myself as a test and then maybe try some of the more tricky parts, fingers crossed !

Qavion likes this.
  8. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Dude. Serious question... why do you take 5 freaking minutes of intro, before starting into the actual subject matter?

9. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    I had sticky issues in my 360 as well and used denatured alcohol
    Unfortunately this removed the labels.
    I finally sent the items to Sticky RX - Dave was great -
    I know Sticky No More has been around as well
    Each company has a different process pricing is competitive but the results are unbelievable!!!

10. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    I cant speak for this video or this creator, and I didnt watch the video. However, it is my understanding that YouTube's search and monetization algorithm's prioritize longer videos or videos of a certain length. I believe I heard speakers say that in videos, that they need to make them longer for external reasons to the content of the specific video. I am not and expert and I do not make YouTube videos.