83 Boxer engine and gearbox rebuild | Page 9 | FerrariChat

83 Boxer engine and gearbox rebuild

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Newman, May 31, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Thank you :)

I have no experience with it but if it works then why not? Certainly sounds like a good thing if there are no cons to it!

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    George Vosburgh and crinoid like this.
  4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    one of my customers use the waterless coolant since long time in his MG V8 and is very satisfied. but why you think the system will work without pressure? there is also pressure as if you use water coolant. all fluids will increase when they get warm/hot.

5. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Thanks for your detailed update on the hardware side Newman. You are absolute correct with regards to the hose clamps. I have the Serflex clamps on my late 84, but wished I had the ABA clamps that's of better quality I think and also available locally. Stunning work you are doing.

Best

Peter

6. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    It operates at virtually zero pressure. The intriguing concept is that it should drastically reduce all stresses on seals, liners, hoses, etc and also perform better as a coolant. It should also eliminate all corrosion potential.-this is from the Evans site-

"As it heats, water generates high vapor pressures that exert internal stress on cooling system components. When the engine cools, the pressure reduces. This repetitive process often leads to fatigue and component failure.

Because Evans waterless coolants have a boiling point of above 375°F and will not vaporize within the cooling system, they generate such low vapor pressure that you can remove the radiator or expansion bottle cap while the engine is running.

This pressure reduction eliminates internal stress on hoses, pump seals and radiator seams, thus extending operating life by many years and preventing breakdowns."

of2worlds and turbo-joe like this.
  7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The car this thread is about was platinum at 3 events with Pep Boy's hose clamps so if you really wanted to you could run the ABA and I doubt it would be picked on.

pshoejberg likes this.
  8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    thank you ludiwg for this info.
    but I wonder: the one customer with the MG V8 has this waterless coolant in ( don´t know if it is from evans? ) and when he arrives and I open the radiator cap there is a little pressure.
    also water coolant needs pressure, otherwise it would boil at 100 °C and steam would appear, that is why it needs pressure that the steam will not come up. but the pressure starts not only at 100°C it starts before but will increase after those 100°C. because all know that all materials getting larger/more when getting warm. sure you could run the waterless coolant without a radiator cap what you not can do with water coolant, but that there is no pressure on the waterless coolant I can not believe

9. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    The key is vapor pressure and boiling points of different liquids- water boils at 212 F /100 C which is the temperature at which the vapor pressure of water equals atmospheric pressure nominal at sea level. In a closed system, the pressure will rise logarithmically as the temperature rises. Water-based cooling system will start to expand and raise pressure significantly at normal engine operating temps thus we pressurize the system to increase the boiling point artificially. Consider-if an engine ran at good efficiency and easily at 50C then the water coolant would be under very minimal pressure in a sealed system. The waterless coolants have very high boiling point-as such the vapor pressure at 100 C is very small.
    A totally different cause for pressurizing a cooling system is the thermal expansion of the coolant prior to boiling. If one filled the system with no air at all to act as an expansion buffer then the pressures would skyrocket. However, that is the whole point of having an expansion tank that is partially filled allowing the air to act as a thermal expansion "cushion". So- in the waterless system with correct fill, I would imagine one would see a couple of psi at full temp- hardly noticeable.
    Overall then it is possible to dramatically reduce all of the stresses on all parts of the system. Also, there is no corrosive component to degrade systems. The only negative I can see is the cost-hardly much of a consideration.

of2worlds, 53ford and turbo-joe like this.
  10. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    I will never ever look those ABA clamps again like I used to. I just installed daily driver with those clamps and generally they are considered as restoration "big blue fail" but since they really are originally installed in factory... every gas station here has selection of Ferrari restoration parts awailable in 24h/day. (btw they are very good clamps and Lamborghini also used them)

of2worlds, pshoejberg and Ludwig like this.
  11. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    I've got the Evans coolant in both my 308 and BBi and it's worked great, especially the no corrosion aspect of it. I also have it in my whole house generator....Florida/Hurricanes.....just sayin.

12. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    I'm using all ABA-replacing some of the old Serflex "cheese graters"

13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You need more runs and sags. Net time paint them while you are wearing a welding helmet.

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I like to leave them over a weekend.

mikael82 likes this.
  15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have never seen a leak on the inside except on some of the Lampredi engines that had a lot of erosion.

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Way too high. No reason and as you said it could wreck a water pump seal.

17. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Agreed! I made the plenums sag in places though, cringed as I just held the spray pattern in one place too long but got the right effect.

18. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  19. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    That looks absolutely terrible.... Nice job. I'd be going for perfection, which wouldn't be authentic.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Newman likes this.
  21. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  22. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  23. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    turbo-joe and MS250 like this.
  24. Gleggy

Gleggy Formula 3

Sep 22, 2004
    Land of Oz
    Full Name:
    Gleggy
    Lovely work Paul.

Newman likes this.
  25. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    when I enlarge those photos paul the timing belt covers are looking like silber carbon and not crickle silver? same as the waterpipe from the last picture