Ferrari F8 Tributo | Page 14 | FerrariChat

Ferrari F8 Tributo

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ferrari 308 GTB, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Sorry but that has never ever been the Ferrari ethos. Enzo was an engine man. You buy the engine and they throw in the car for free. 500 hp (quite low for today) and lightweight you’re looking at a lotus. Today’s super cars are far greater than they’ve ever been in terms of usability and performance. Certainly they’ve gotten a little homogenized in the experience with the tech but it’s a welcome trade off to be able to drive as much as possible, have reliability, safety, comfort and run consistent sub 3 seconds 0-60s.

Also on the subject of lightweight, the F8’s dry weight is less than the F430. The F8 makes 48% more hp. Seems like a winning combo to me.

elmadi, anishka, daflk and 4 others like this.
  2. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    #328 Lukeylikey, Mar 1, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    I think you’re stretching to make a point here. If that Lotus study was a launched car with scuderia shields on it people would laugh. It is awful and bland around the sides and rear three-quarters and the front is more Honda than Ferrari. The 458 is beautiful not because it is simple and boring but because it is voluptuous and lithe, with clever details like the triple exhaust harking back to the F40.

It is easy to overthink here, the 488 is necessarily a development of the same platform and provided a more masculine and different approach, perhaps not as classically beautiful but aggressive and with good stance and proportions. For whatever reason Ferrari decided to do a third iteration on this platform, probably because the replacement platform is such a lot of work and they have had to make room in the plan for BB. They have gone for a look beteeen the lithe proportions of the 458 and the aggression of the 488, at the same time heralding elements of their new design direction - four rear tail lights, flatter headlights, aero-through elements in the body (as per Pista) and it looks coherent. This is not McLaren 650, where they bolted a different face on the same body, it is a thorough change in the look based obviously on an existing platform. It may not go down as the greatest Ferrari looks-wise but then neither did the 360, 430 or 488 in many people’s books. F8 is a sensible, professional and attractive design, not lazy and possessing easily the most powerful normal-series V8 engine. It too has clever and unique details harking back to the past, like the F40-inspired rear screen. It is a proper Ferrari and unmistakably so in my view. It is easy to see the Ferrari language.

I have been thinking about a Testarossa lately. The F512M is the rarest and best driving of them all, but to some its looks are very challenging yet it is still the most valuable. The F8 is like the 512M only without the obviously difficult looks. It should do well both new and used.

3. gt_lusso

gt_lusso Karting

Oct 24, 2013
    Northern Europe
    Don't get me wrong, I think the F8 is amazing and can't wait to drive one. Ferrari makes great cars, but after the 458, I think they lack emotion and that feeling of something special. And I blame the tech and horsepower war.

Mbutner and Jo Sta7 like this.
  4. gt_lusso

gt_lusso Karting

Oct 24, 2013
    Northern Europe
    In my eyes, the Testarossa is very clean designed where wront matches with rear end, etc etc. The car is just right. Everything looks like it should, and not like if 12 designers put all their ideas together to make one car.

I think the F8 looks great, I like the rear end, and the front of the car looks like a mini LaFerrari. And the LaFerrari is to me the greatest looking post-458 Ferrari together with the F12tdf. But what they did to the Portofino and 812, I will never forgive haha :D

But, that being said... Pininfarina being gon is VERY noticeable. Ferraris don't have that clean elegant masculine/feminine designlanguage anymore. But we shall wait and see. The big brother will be a clean sheet of paper, and will be the answer on what Flavio Manzonis next generation design will look like, and how that will affect future Fcars. I'm excited and hope they'll hark back to the days were elegant lines was ruling the car world :)

5. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    ...and by the way, look how good it looks in all those colours above. This is a car that suits lots of different colour and spec approaches. Not a coincidence I’ll bet.

Senshi458 and gt_lusso like this.
  6. Ferrari FXX

Ferrari FXX Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2007
    Wow I was disappointed I thought this would be a totally new design, but after looking at it twice damn. This is the car Ferrari should have made in 2009. Its almost perfect front to back. The front looks incredible, nothing awkward and the rear is beautiful as well.

I DO hope though this is the LAST version of the 458-488-Pista family. Please no more after this. This is absolutely gorgeous, aggressive not too over the top and blistering fast. Its time for something brand new. Maybe the new Hybrid V8 later this year?

of2worlds likes this.
  7. Ferrari FXX

Ferrari FXX Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2007
    I'm salivating for an updated Testarossa but can Ferrari do that? Do they have design rights or Pininfarina?

Napoli likes this.
  8. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Here’s another thought; if this car was launched as the Pista, nobody would have been surprised. It is quite like a Speciale version of the 488 - added intricacy on the front bumper area, added aero with the through spoiler at the rear and a kicked-up ducktail. The fact that this is now considered the right look for the standard car reminds me how aggressive and surprising the Pista look was/is. It probably also hints that there will be no Pista version of the F8. Therefore their design brief was to mix a bit of Pista, a bit of 488 and deliver a car that is not special-series and that won’t have any special-series versions of it. In that respect alone it will be unique among V8 Ferraris since the 308/328.

9. perrinnation

perrinnation Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2012
    The Detroit area
    Full Name:
    David
    The stripe makes a HUGE difference. Now it feels like the best of the Pista is present.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

HH11 likes this.
  10. perrinnation

perrinnation Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2012
    The Detroit area
    Full Name:
    David
    458 looks so understated now. Elegant in comparison to its newer siblings.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Ferrari has gone aggressive design-wise because of the required aero and cooling stipulated by today's performance level. Also, not everyone is a fan of feminine/soft design. They said though that they will build an old-school, elegant, GT.

of2worlds and gt_lusso like this.
  12. davide b

davide b Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2007
    montecarlo
    Full Name:
    davide
    #338 davide b, Mar 1, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    1 pista spider every 5 pista coupé

of2worlds and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  13. jac

jac Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    Full Name:
    jack cohen
    I was just trying to be funny. I actually own both now. My
    Spyker is more rare and an analog experience. The 458 is just SWEET to drive and I can imagine this new car will be amazing too.

14. Ivinsea

Ivinsea Karting

Sep 7, 2016
    Southern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Ivin Seabrook
    [
    Agree 100% but you and I are in the minority.

I have a 458 and an Alfa 4C, both coupes. The carbon tub and purity of the 4C allow it to shine even in the presence of the beautiful Ferrari.

Imagine a longer, wider and lower 4C carbon tub, with a 3.5 liter TTV6 with 500 HP, weighing 2800 lb, simple interior, with that magic Ferrari touch that combines spartan design with luxury, power with beauty, modernity with tradition, like a baby F40. The hardcore purists would believe in Ferrari again!

Mbutner, slm and chrixxx like this.
  15. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I like the front, the side profile is OK (still prefer profile of 458) and the back I just can't help but seeing Luigi from Mario Brothers. I hated the rear of the 812 when I first saw it as well compared the F12 but now I like it and ordered one. Maybe this car will grow on me over time like the 812 did. However the 488 never did. One thing is certain, they will sell as many as they want to.

Mbutner likes this.
  16. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    As Jo Sta 7 wrote, Enzo always said that a Ferrari is all about its engine. The F40 was all mighty in 1987; 500 HP is so '90s though. If anything, the new Big Brother is closer to the purists heartland.

17. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Andy Dufresne style.

iloveferrari and tekaefixe like this.
  18. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Wow just seeing this--blah a best. I do like the seats though.

Good to see them catching up to Mac on the performance front :p

Mbutner likes this.
  19. scuderia-seat

scuderia-seat Karting

Jan 27, 2018
    USA
    Full Name:
    late apex
    I found my new 430F-1 to have a lot of body roll and marginal brakes (steel);

of2worlds likes this.
  20. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    any guesses as to when we can expect to see the spider version?

Cigarzman likes this.
  21. Motorwerks

Motorwerks Formula Junior

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
  22. ferrarifanatic25

ferrarifanatic25 Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    Out of curiosity, what do you think of the Monza SP1 & 2? I, for one, think it’s the most beautiful and elegant Ferrari of the 21st century.

I know it’s a limited series car; however, this proves what the Ferrari design team is capable of when they’re not going for that “aggressive” look. I think they nailed it with this car and captured the ethos of what the mid-engine V8 has always stood for. A great tribute to a long line of great cars.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

gt_lusso likes this.
  23. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    fer900 posted some provisional dates for the 5 models this year. iirc the F8'spider' is the 4th in september sometime.

italiafan likes this.