Need our own GT4 Forum | FerrariChat

Need our own GT4 Forum

Discussion in '308/328' started by Nino1964, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nino1964

Nino1964 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2015
    North Georgia
    I love my GTB and GTS brothers but don't you think there should be a separate 308 DinoGT4 forum?

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #2 Rifledriver, Feb 28, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    No. Same car mechanically as any other 308. In reality there shouldn't even be a Mondial forum. Lots going on here that would benefit them they are missing and vise versa. It would just be worse if you broke out the GT4's. There is no good reason to dividing it up more than it is and good reasons it shouldn't be as divided up as it is.

3. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    IIRC, the Mondial guys broke away from the 308/328 section not too long ago. We were all one big happy family back in the good old days.

vaccarella likes this.
  4. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It's been quite a while. Still a stupid idea.

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    No reason to split it up. Tell me something about the GT4 that does not apply to a 308/328 other than it has 4 seats.

Pero likes this.
  6. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Agree no need to split. Wouldn’t mind if Momdials were included here also.

Pero and 308 milano like this.
  7. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Cough... Bertone... cough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seicilindri likes this.
  8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You mean it rusts ? Cough, check.

maxflynn and Dom like this.
  9. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes it would be nice to keep the family together but, what harm will it do if GT-4 has separated?

10. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    #10 DavidDriver, Feb 28, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    It does rust. It is Bertone. And because of the longer wheelbase, it also handles a bit better! :p

Wiki reference, courtesy of our own Mr. Garvin, "The GT4 was the only 2+2 Ferrari ever raced with factory support."

Wade likes this.
  11. GT4 Joe

GT4 Joe Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    Dana Point, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Joe Williams
    Just look at the Mondial guys after they defected a few years ago, they regretted it. Like being on an isolated island.
    The GT4 on the other hand, is the original 308, and the baseline for all of the following V8 Ferrari's.
    So, no harm to do really, except to segregate the owners ego's maybe?
    I think it's a bad idea.

miketuason likes this.
  12. GT4 Joe

GT4 Joe Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    Dana Point, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Joe Williams
    Yeah, well, PF car rust too.

13. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Why? Give some reasons.

14. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Maybe the different body, different interior, different coach builder? It may have the same engine or engine block as the 308, but so what? There are other car manufacturer that uses the 308 engine block but you don’t see them in the 308/328 section, I’m just saying.

15. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    So the Vintage sub-forum should be divided into about 50-100 different sub-forums, because they're all different bodies, different interiors and different designer/coach-builders, even though many used the Colombo engine blocks?

There's a balance between finely dicing sub-forums to the point that a only half-dozen people are talking to each other and each sub-forum dies out or there's enough activity and cross-fertilization that there's always something new or different being discussed even if it's not exactly your car. Not saying there should or shouldn't, but give some real reasons. The OP felt the need to make the post, I would like to know what he was missing or felt was obstructive or non-constructive in the forums that compelled him to do so.

A similar question was recently raised in the 458/488 subforum because a few 458 owners felt like they were getting into arguments with 488 owners as the 488 owners felt their cars were better and said so. That was more a moderation concern than it was a categorization issue.

P.S. I don't get to make that call, but I might weigh in if the question gets taken more seriously.

16. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The Mondi is the ultimate evolution of this particular V8 line & is the best car technologically of the whole lot all round. The GT4 is the ultimate vintage 308 & I'd like them to stay here so they can remind us how it's way cooler & a better driver and a better old school car than even a vetro. I'd love to see the Mondi guys back here so they can remind us how much better the car is than the 328. I'm not joking. Without these guys, it'll be an echo chamber of fake bar bragging.

17. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    It would be about the same logic as having a separate forum for the 308 B and 308 S

miketuason and Rifledriver like this.
  18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Actually it handles better because it has better weight distribution and a far stiffer chassis. Great cars.

DavidDriver and hyenahf like this.
  19. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    Mines a 208 GT4 from Italy and I feel at home here having done the suspension bush overhaul,
    Taken advice on the aerial , speedo sensor , bumper rubber.
    As said in terms of mechanics the more the merrier.
    Feels like a natural fit . I know there’s not a lot of 2x8,s ( inc turbos ) in Bertone dress or Pininfarina dress , but does not seem right splitting way the Bertone boys .
    Been watching the 14 vs 16 inch wheel debate as mines a unmolested 14 in cromadora modal .That thread crosses both body shops as an example .

dflett likes this.
  20. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    As a GT4 guy, I feel it is best to keep together. Repairs, tips, tricks, modernization, hot rodding are the same on the cars. The only thing really bespoke are the body and interior. The chassis and construction are basically the same. I like that when I am researching, i pretty much can find info in one place. I like that I can ask a question and usually get an answer.

I vote for a hard no GT4 "rexit"

Jack-the-lad and vaccarella like this.
  21. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    BTW - Just took a look at the 308/328 forum vs Mondial forum and this forum seems to get about 3x the activity as measured by the number of active threads in the last week.

Also, something added recently to a few other forums are thread tags. So 348/355, 360/430 and 458/488 forums now have the option of tagging a new thread with the model if the thread creator deems it useful to be specific. This could be added to here as well.

Dom and vaccarella like this.
  22. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Good idea. I think you should consider adding the mondials back to th 308 section and then use thread tags for specific model questions.

DavidDriver likes this.
  23. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Maybe it is the GTB/S that should leave this forum. ;) Like it or not every 308, in fact every mid engine V8 Ferrari, has GT4 DNA.

I don't see any reason to split this forum up. I would say that the vast majority of threads involve the drive train and suspension topics which both cars share (yea, I know there are a few part # exceptions). If separated one could easily miss important info and discussions if you don't go through 2 forums instead of just one. I remember when the Mondial guys split off (at least their later models have the engine pointing in the wrong direction) and since then they have to visit 2 forums.

I guess we could have a "Pininfarina only" forum for designer snobs complete with a secret password to keep the riff-raff out.

GT4 Joe likes this.
  24. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Bertone rust on a 308 GT4 is ridiculous. I have a '72 Bertone Alfa 2000 GTV. This one teached me about REAL rust.
    I have my 308 GTB, because I grew up with my dad's GT4. So I vote for staying together.

Best from Germany
    Martin

25. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

I bet GT4's and early 308's share more part numbers than 308's do with 328's.