Launch Control in U.S Spec'd Scuderias | FerrariChat

Launch Control in U.S Spec'd Scuderias

Discussion in '360/430' started by Art138, Aug 16, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Does anyone know if U.S Spec'd scuds could be optioned with launch control? I ask because there is one on ebay (MSO). Could this be a gray market car???

Ferrari : 430 F430 Scuderia | eBay

2. dbonvillain

dbonvillain Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2012
    Boulder
    There is launch control in all US Scuderia's...just no button on the center console.

3. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Good info thks...

4. Teachdocs

Teachdocs Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2012
    Kansas City area
    Full Name:
    Chad
    What's the procedure for using launch control on a US spec Scud?

5. Knightrider

Knightrider Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    a) Use launch control on scud

b) arrive at Ferrari dealer to replace clutch.

:) Or so I've heard.

Bigilo and ChipG like this.
  6. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    No one has Ben able to answer how do you use launch control on US speced cars?

7. Teachdocs

Teachdocs Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2012
    Kansas City area
    Full Name:
    Chad
    I really do not think US cars have launch control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    There in no launch control on US scuderias.

9. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    So sounds like if you replace the gear switch panel on the center console you would get it then. Is that what you are implying?

IMHO, no reason to do it--unless you enjoy the process of replacing the clutch...

ChipG likes this.
  10. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    If it is something I am entitled to an available to me I want it. Now how do I do this stupid launch control LOL

11. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Put mannetino in CST off, select first gear, hold downshift lever in until the display alternates between 1 and L. After that, you can lift off the brake and punch the throttle. I've heard you can alternatively keep your left foot on the brake, bring up the revs, and then release brake and punch throttle, but I'm too scared to try that. FWIW, rumor is that 3-4 full launches and it's time for a new clutch.

I did a halfway launch with half throttle and without standing on the brake and the car really did jump off the line. Now that I've done that once though, I wouldn't do it again.

12. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    Thanks for the info got it saved in my iPhone just in case I need it ;)

13. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    Has anyone else tried this with their car?

14. spourreza

spourreza Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Mount Olive Twp, NJ
    Full Name:
    S.Pourreza
    With my Porsche 911, everytime you launch, the car recorded it in the computer. Could impact re-sale given wear on transmission. Not sure if FCar does this.

15. Akram

Akram Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2009
    Clive, Iowa
    Full Name:
    Ray Salloum
    In my opinion no Ferrari should have launch control. Ferrari's were not built for 0 to 60 MPH; they were built for 40 to 140, all day long.

LightGuy likes this.
  16. alxforschnr

alxforschnr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2012
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Alx
    This is from the review by Cat & Driver
    " To engage actual launch control, first turn the steering-wheel-mounted dial, what Ferrari calls the mannetino, to the “stability-control off” setting. Second, slip into neutral by pulling on both paddle shifters simultaneously. Place your left foot on the brake and engage first gear by pulling on the right paddle and holding it until an “L” appears in the gear display. With your left foot still on the brake, floor the accelerator with your other foot. Do it right, and the V-8 rises to roughly 4500 rpm. Next, get off the brake while keeping the throttle pegged. The Scuderia dumps its clutch and fires forward with the perfect amount of wheelspin, as if Schuey himself were behind the wheel. Launch control engages the clutch violently, so Ferrari recommends performing a slow gradual start before each launch to clean off the clutch disc."

2009 Ferrari 430 Scuderia

17. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    When I try this in my 2009 US Scud, I do not get an L. The transmission light briefly turns on orange (not red). Is there an issue here or is this an optional display mode?
    There is nothing in the owners manual about launch control.

18. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    As far as I am aware it's not just the button that is missing but the actual TCU code; US cars have a US market specific TCU.

19. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #19 freshmeat, Feb 3, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    I’ve never launched my car but can confirm my 2009 US car can engage launch sequence.

If memory serves me right:
    1) put the car in manual mode, then into 1st gear
    2) turn manettino to cst off
    3) Foot on brake
    4) hold the left paddle (downshift) until you hear a beep and the speedo flashes between 1 & L

I’ve never gone beyond that 4th step, but common sense tells me I would just need to take my foot off the brakes and punch the throttle to launch the car.

Wisdom tells me never to launch the car unless I’m addicted to pain and looking to empty my wallet.

E60 M5 likes this.
  20. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    Do you mean it flashes between 1 & L on the tachometer? Mine beeps and briefly displays the F1 failure symbol in the Speedo. No codes are set and shifts normal.

21. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    if you read close it says you need a new clutch

22. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003