Ferrari F8 Tributo | Page 21 | FerrariChat

Ferrari F8 Tributo

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ferrari 308 GTB, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I can't help but think that, hanging like a pall over all this F8 intro excitement, is the fact that Ferrari is telegraphing the news that soon, many of its loyal customers (myself included) will be priced out of the market, either because the cost of entry is too high, or it is perceived as such. It is all well and good for Ferrari to decide, in pursuit of its maximum profit goal as a publicly-traded company, to vastly increase the price of its cars. I believe, however, from a marketing perspective, that the Golden Goose may already be searing on the barbecue grille. I'm not very impressed by the appearnce of the F8, don't want a hybrid anything (much less a V-6 at V-8 prices), and don't feel the need to kiss the Ferrari ring while helping ensure that its shareholders are content with the performance of their investment. If that sounds like sour grapes, perhaps it may be so, but for now I'll continue to enjoy my 43-year ownership of my Dino, plus my 6MT F430 Spider and 458 Spider. I'll have to make do without the "latest and greatest," I guess. Fred

anishka, Makuono, kandi and 9 others like this.
  2. MassAppeal

MassAppeal Karting

Mar 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mass Appeal
    Quite true, however, one must win on all fronts. From the traditional buyers, to the new ones. From the reviewers, to the bench racers. From instagram to youtube, from the board room to the the race track. What I am saying is how people are discounting Mclaren. Just like how Honda helped changed the game with its original NSX. Especially in terms of reliability for exotic cars. And one more thing (the new breed is familiar with this, which is said in jest)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. MassAppeal

MassAppeal Karting

Mar 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mass Appeal
    Quite true, however, one must win on all fronts. From the traditional buyers, to the new ones. From the reviewers, to the bench racers. From instagram to youtube, from the board room to the the race track. What I am saying is how people are discounting Mclaren. Just like how Honda helped changed the game with its original NSX. Especially in terms of reliability for exotic cars. And one more thing (the new breed is familiar with this)...
    View attachment 2674860

4. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Ferrari doesn’t care they need to maximize profits. And all these high price cars can be had at a discount a couple years after on the used market. No one is being priced out of anything if you’re willing to buy a one or two-year-old car .

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  5. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    An original, Series 2, 4.6 litre I6, E-Type coupe mate. Laughable compared to new cars, but such an occasion.

of2worlds likes this.
  6. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Anyone discounting Mac likely hasn’t driven none. I’m a dual brand owner- 720 and 488. While the 488 is a great car- 720 is a beast and I enjoy it tremendously and by. I means do I find it inferior to the Ferrari and in many aspects it’s vastly superior.

The F8 while I like the look and the refresh is nice, give me no excitement to go out and purchase it. Performance wise it’s heavier than my 720. I’m sure it’s a step up to the 488 in terms of power but interior is basically the same as is most of the rest of the car. I’d be curious to see how this model does knowing that a replacement is just a year or so away.

7. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Like you say, there are historic parallels between the F512M and the F8. Both are face-lift of a face-lift, last in the series, and both have had their front and rear restyled, leaving much of the rest unchanged.

But I don't think F8 will become valuable like 512M which is a niche collectable. 1.5 to 2 years of F8 production would be over 5000. In contrast 512M was only 501. Ferrari didn't intend the 512M to be a limited edition. During the one year or so of production the demand was so poor, it became a self-limited edition!

Texas Forever, kandi and Motorwerks like this.
  8. gqa

gqa Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2011
    NY NY
    Actually the performance and tech gap between the 488 and the 720s is not small. But If we are not buying these cars for their performance and looks what are we buying it for? Just because its a Ferrari? That sounds like the guys who buy these cars and never ever drives them near them near their capabilities or let alone take it to the track but somehow thinks he's better just because he owns a Ferrari! I have love for Ferrari but I think the F8 says "hey just be happy its a Ferrari, we don't really have to do better"

9. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Performance wise it’s not close as you stated. F8 should be better.

gqa likes this.
  10. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Oh I own a 720 and I had a 458. I think it's great to have people give their opinions. I personally think F8 looks like a parts bin special--meh comes to mind. I regret selling 458. You probably haven't driven a 720 so you have no way to compare. But will reserve judgement until I see it int the flesh--it looks better than 488. As to comparing cars, that what all brands do--it's a pecker measuring exercise--otherwise everyone would be driving a prius.

11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK

I shall bother to reply, whether you like it, or not.

Once again, I have a first hand experience and I trust my senses. I do not own an Evora, because I didn't really like it when I drove it around the Hethel test track. Excellent sportscar, but not a supercar, nor a Ferrari for that matter.

Regarding my Greek, I am fluent in both the ancient Athenian Dialect, as well as the modern language. Do you really have an axe to grind?

Yeah, the F8 discussion sounds nice...

italiafan and of2worlds like this.
  12. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Yes, peoples silliness is not a good trend, indeed.

Viperjoe likes this.
  13. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH

That's all well and good but how close to the salt water does that classic E-type reside? ;)

14. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #515 Shadowfax, Mar 2, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    Understand- but I truly think the criticism is very fair and reasonable on this occasion. The design of F8 could be viewed as a success in the sense that 488's resale value has been nicely preserved along with Pista's integrity remaining fully intact.

There is little doubt in my mind that the 488 is the cleaner and more balanced design from every angle, inside and out. I'm sure the F8 is an improvement in engineering, the only concern being that the 488 already has more power that can be used 99% of the time.....beyond a drag strip. So while F8 has bragging rights of being the more powerful, that's more or less where it ends.

Maybe the front could be subjectively argued as being (perhaps) an improvement but that rear end clearly does not belong and the dash is like wtf is going on with those cylinder vents?

MANDALAY, JohnTz, Napoli and 7 others like this.
  15. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    #516 iloveferrari, Mar 2, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    Bingo. Especially the interior. But the tail, I think even those who don't know Ferrari will find it too meh, because it resembles Corvette. In fact, someone owns both speciale and pista, has a picture side by side, you can't tell which is new design. This illustrate how much of 458 design language by pininfarina was eons ahead, and Ferrari does have difficulty to outdo it for their mainstream car. Monza and J50 are different stories.

Be honest to yourself, look at the interior comparison picture, how much difference do we see in these three generations!? Not much to me.

Ferrari wants to sell more cars, of course, but they have to make them innovative enough to the new customers which are the target since they went public.

Think Apple iphone XR. They should learn from Apple which come up with simply too many products in short time.

Unless Ferrari comes up something like Samsung's upcoming revolutionary phone that is a flexible and folder led screen, I will just enjoy all my old cars very happily and simply wait for the BB.

day355, SoCal to az, IPO1 and 2 others like this.
  16. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    I don’t get why so many people are bagging on the round vents. Mid engine V8 Ferrari’s had them up until the 458 so they are more of the norm than the exception. I much prefer them to the integrated ones of late. I have an 812 and love the interior so maybe I am biased.

nmcclure and ScottS like this.
  17. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Oh you never know! It shouldn't though but we never know until we see it.

18. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    Ferrari did not accustomed us to facelift except 512M / Tr / Testarossa
    an era ends and a new made hybridization nevertheless begins, whatever the aesthetic choices (SP 38 influence) F8 with Pista engine will be efficient

19. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Miss-typed. I meant 4.2 litre.

20. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Fair point. I live in a seaside city nowadays. Used to reside in ole Bournemouth. In any case, it is locked up in a garage.

of2worlds likes this.
  21. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    This is so not cool. I am a sucker to blue. I totally dig this rendering. The more I see the front, the more I like it, and then the more I hate the rear! Why ferrari, why you make a car that is so polarizing within a car itself!

boobernackle and 458-Italia like this.
  22. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    The front is awesome !

23. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

So perfectly stated.

uhn2000, MANDALAY, LARRYH and 3 others like this.