NEW V8 MID ENGINED MODEL (BIG BROTHER) | Page 3 | FerrariChat

NEW V8 MID ENGINED MODEL (BIG BROTHER)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ajr550, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Were those infos provided by the dealer?

2. Doug23

Doug23 Karting

Jun 23, 2017
    Italy
    For some time, various sources (including people on LinkedIn) said that F171 was the BB and F173 the V6 or "Dino". I don't know why this misunderstanding got so widespread. I think ferr9000 was the first one to put it in the right way.

Inviato dal mio BAH-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

F140C likes this.
  3. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    BB = true 488 replacement?

4. Pierlu99

Pierlu99 Rookie

Jan 15, 2017
  5. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    No, no, no... the BB covers another (higher) market segment, the 488 replacement is the F8 for now and will then be the V6 aka LB.

6. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I follow him . He HATES Ferrari.

Thelovelyrock18, of2worlds and F140C like this.
  7. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Definitely. Don't believe a word of what he says.

Ok, so I guess It's simply a mistake. Also found a reference to a "F165" project in another curriculum and I asked about it here:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/the-15-new-models-by-2022-what-we-know.594854/page-9

of2worlds, crinoid and Doug23 like this.
  8. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    The problem with n/a whether V12 or V8 is the compression ratios needed to deliver the power - it generates unmanageable emissions in terms of Ferrari’s targeted total CO2 output. Therefore turbo, with much lower compression ratios, are needed for any model with higher volumes. Maybe they will keep the flagship 812 line going for a bit longer but even that looks to be going hybrid.

If BB is carbon tub, 1,000hp and sub 2 seconds 0-60mph, get your wallet ready (and it will need to be a big wallet). Sounds too strong to me but ok, bring it on if it’s true! Has to be £1m plus for that performance and I don’t think it will be. More likely 900hp, 0-60 in 2.5s, some elements carbon and £600-£750k. Only a guess though.

F2003-GA and tekaefixe like this.
  9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    My understanding is that LaFerrari's have a big problem with the batteries but its because they aren't used enough. Even plugging them in all the time isn't good enough to keep them from failing.

I'm sure Ferrari has looked at this issue but these cars are not like Teslas -- they aren't driven everyday so they have unique issues than a normal car.

ingegnere, F2003-GA and crinoid like this.
  10. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    To go along with that, my hesitation is the added complexity and the limited battery life...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

of2worlds likes this.
  11. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    So, imagine 50 years from now. Now try to get a new battery pack and ECU for your "vintage Ferrari". :)

12. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes.

Although in 50 years there will probably be an entire cottage industry of modern battery packs (or whatever they will use for energy storage) packaged for vintage cars... the challenge might be to find that nasty petro to fuel the evil ICE... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

ingegnere, kandi and F2003-GA like this.
  13. superscoop

superscoop Rookie

Feb 3, 2017
    Poland
    https://www.carscoops.com/2019/03/ferrari-follow-f8-tributo-four-new-models-2019/

Looks like another mid-engine car is coming this year in addition to the BB and F8. This one is being reported to slot below the F8.

“So, it is a sports car but with this design that it is more elegant that is more for everyday driving in order to attract those people that maybe are not considering to buy a Ferrari, because they are not willing to have a highly sporty car. So, in a way, we are trying to have an offer that is capturing both opportunities.” - Enrico Galliera.

Dino?

14. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Really???

The great Valentino Balboni, Lambo's legendary test-driver, told me over dinner that Ferraris (and Porsches for that matter) are fantastic motorcars. You know that you are speaking with a great gent when he puts down no automaker!!! Fluent in English, French and German. What a bloke!!!

15. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Read his posts about Ferrari. It’s quite clear.

Balboni seems like a rad dude.

16. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Could be the "small brother" Ferr9000 was talking about and could also match the F165 codename. We might need a third thread for that one!

superscoop and Thelovelyrock18 like this.
  17. davide b

davide b Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2007
    montecarlo
    Full Name:
    davide
    Portofino coupe’

LVP488, Vertix and F2003-GA like this.
  18. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    They already said they will only go upmarket, I don't believe a Dino is in the pipeline .
    They won't let Lamborghini alone in the V12 rear engine market when they will introduce the aventador replacement.
    A V12 hybrid rear mid engine car is a more logical thing .
    It will also add more margin .

Maybe the future Ferrari halo car will be powered by an entirely new 3.9 V12 and an highly sophisticated hybrid system ?
    Exciting no ?

dido19888 likes this.
  19. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    "I would double check also about “No Dino”. Maybe not a Dino itself, but what about a very little brother" From Ferr9000.

"Very little brother" makes me think that a car below F8/BB/LB/whatever could indeed be planned.

20. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    The new BB will be damn fast in the straights and I’m sure because it’s a Ferrari also amazing in the bends. The thing is, even though the BB will be able to do great laps in record time this car will never be a track car like a GT3 RS.

If you drive it on a track a lot the batteries that would last say 10-20 years will last maybe 2/3 years until you start to see some problems and electric gremlins. Price of Technology...

21. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    By then
    Exactly

22. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    My prediction on BB is 900hp 0-60 2.5 secs 0-124 6.9 secs base price 500k USD

JagShergill and Motorwerks like this.
  23. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I want.

F2003-GA likes this.
  24. Forza Scuderia

Forza Scuderia Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2015
    I agree with what is referred to as the 'more likely' scenario here except for the pricing. My train of logic goes as follows:
    1. Zero emissions in city center regulations for starters will be forcing every car makers' hands into active hybrid platforms ( Who is going to buy a Ferrari they cannot park in front of Scott's on Mount Street? ) 2. Therefore customer adoption of your active hybrid cars is an existentially pivotal issue. 3. Therefore the very first regular production active hybrid car you introduce HAS TO BE a resounding commercial success or you are done for. 4. Therefore you cannot take the market acceptance risk that your customers balk at a product that has been priced out of reach.

Many who are discussing this car apply the logic that since it will have LaFerrari level performance it will have a pricing ballpark of
    three-quarters-of-a-million give or take. I believe that Ferrari absolutely cannot and will not price this car that high. If this were a 499 limited run car then absolutely. All day long. But this is not. This is an unlimited open-ended production car that will have a 4-year production run just in its first incarnation. They need to price this at a point where the traditional bread and butter $350k 488 GTB buyer can stretch themselves for another
    100-125 grand. It has to be obtainable to the bulk of the Ferrari buyer bell curve.

The $500k psychological threshold is a very important one. Pricing this car at anything approaching 700 grand will be a commercial disaster and Ferrari is not that foolhardy. The bread and butter buyers would say 'That's far too rich for my blood I will take a jaunty F8 which can hit 60mph in 2.75 seconds for half the money thank you very much.' And the ultra wealthy collectors will likewise sneer at the prospect of paying three-quarters-of-a-million for something anyone can get and is not a 1 of X number car. Oh and can you imagine the depreciation curve on a three-quarters-of-a-million regular production car that will be ultimately be produced in the thousands? No. Ferrari will not do this. They need to guarantee a commercial sales hit. By pricing it in the $400s before options and making it faster than the LaF they will assure success by making it an attainable dream...hyper car performance available to every run-of-the-millionaire. The core group of buyers who constitute ... lest we forget ... Ferrari's bread and butter.

j09333 and Shack like this.
  25. dido19888

dido19888 Rookie

Jan 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Andrea
    I agree with you.
    In my humble opinion, it makes no sense to equip a bigbrother with a hybrid V8.
    Especially a few months after Ferrari presented the F8 equipped with an older generation V8.