Are people who are waiting for their 488 bummed about the F8? | FerrariChat

Are people who are waiting for their 488 bummed about the F8?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 96redLT4, Mar 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    For people waiting for their cars at the end of a model run, isn't it kind of a kick in the teeth to find out that you are patiently waiting and ultimately paying so much but missing out on the latest and greatest? I was offered a chance at an 812, but its like $10K now and wait at least a year and a half for your car. Probably will see it enter production just as the next greater model is introduced.

J

Shadowfax, F2003-GA and Wikdstrate like this.
  2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    There will always be a newer model that’s faster, lighter and likely more expensive. And it will probably be the end of the year before the first f8s show up. I’d just enjoy the car and if the newer one tickles your fancy trade it in when it becomes readily available.

3. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    Just took delivery of my 488GTB on Friday, so I can speak with some degree of authority here...no regrets. This is my 5th Ferrari, and I ordered and waited for all but the first one. If you buy a car expecting that it will never be replaced, and soon, by something leaner, meaner, and faster, then you will be sadly mistaken. I have a 993 Turbo that I love to drive, and it's two decades old. My FGT still makes me smile every time it barks to life. The 488 is delightful, and since I gave up track driving (I now go to the dunes for my adrenaline), I couldn't be happier. I'll slap a set of Novitec springs and HRE's on it next weekend, and it will be perfect for my tastes.

You simply cannot buy a car with one eye on its pending replacement, unless you want to spend some time in a padded room.

4. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark

A combo of a Ford GT (I assume its the 05/06 one) and a 488 is a damn fine garage. Congratulations!

ZA3879, of2worlds and iloveferrari like this.
  5. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    Many thanks. I have demonstrated an almost supernatural ability to acquire cars and then sell them for less than I paid :)

Every once in awhile I get it right. They say even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

Thecadster, Bundy, rp456 and 9 others like this.
  6. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Quite the opposite, did a little dance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viperjoe, MANDALAY, Napoli and 2 others like this.
  7. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Well said. I wonder if you'll ever come to a point where these coarse older cars will be more enjoyable to drive than the new ones which scoot silently along like rocketships!

J

8. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    ^This

9. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I received my 488 GTB 6 months ago. Bummed certainly not. I want to enjoy my car until BB comes . No 6 cylinder for me. The dearer the F8 is the better as we will get more for the trade in over here :)

10. I’m going to wait for the F8 replacement so I won’t be disappointed.

Actually I’m going to wait for the replacement for the replacement to the F8 so I won’t be disappointed.

Now that I think about it I’m actually going to wait for the replacement to the replacement to the replacement for the F8 so I won’t be disappointed.

After some more consideration I’m actually going to wait ...

Bob Sullivan, Viperjoe, DJATL and 9 others like this.
  11. Lobekay

Lobekay Rookie

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Lob Lob
    Would feel a little bad if the F8 were a hybrid

12. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Let’s all get real here. It would be hard not to be bummed when the f8 sits on a new chassis and is packed with more features and performance.
    Buying a 488 this late in the cycle w/o receiving significant discount is a road to buyers remorse. To say otherwise is basically living in denial.

gqa and F152VS like this.
  13. Hendry2019

Hendry2019 Karting

Jan 2, 2019
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Hendry
    I have received my 488 Spider (model 2019), recently and knew there would be a face lift coming soon. So i am not bummed at all :)

But this is Ferrari we are talking about, until today 458 grapes attention when passes by!

And trust me, most people wont notice the difference between 488 and F8! Because 488 still looks dated and gorgeous.

I wont be bothered about it until i see a real replacement. and here where i will go to my dealer and start the trade process if i like it ;)

bobw likes this.
  14. Lobekay

Lobekay Rookie

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Lob Lob
    We all knew it was coming.
    Keeping in mind that any new car (or electronics) is already obsolete at the time of purchase, how much of a discount (on a spider) would 'cushion the blow of the new and shining object?'

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    My comparison is we bought a new Cali T the last year of production and then the Portofino was announced. It sucked! Sure we enjoyed the Cali T, but taking a 2-3x larger depreciation than those that got a Cali T the first 2 years of production and then even then taking 6 months to even move it our was a headache.

Here is my general advice no matter how rich you are with new Ferraris.
    • Only play the new car game with the dealer if you are one of the top 5-10 at the dealer getting the first 3-4 of any new model and special editions.
    • If you aren't one of the above, then be careful, might be acceptable to be in the next tier where you get car year 1-2.
    • Do not play the game if you are towards end of production or if you have to buy FF's, Lusso's, used Cali's, used 488's etc to play.
    • It is better not to go through the dealer, buy new Ferraris on the open market 1 year in (like the 812 now) where you aren't paying much over MSRP and can get the car you want immediately and also can sell it immediately without any tie to the dealer.

Moonman82, Shadowfax, crinoid and 2 others like this.
  16. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The question is would you rather have a Ferrari NOW or wait 2 years to get one at a 75,000 price increase?

WM458 and Hendry2019 like this.
  17. Hendry2019

Hendry2019 Karting

Jan 2, 2019
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Hendry
    Could not agree more

Well said

18. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Getting real here, the F8 does not sit on a new chassis.

anunakki, iloveferrari and LVP488 like this.
  19. Golattus

Golattus Karting
    BANNED

Dec 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    JN
    I’m feeling very happy to have chosen my Speciale instead 488. Very

m

ShineKen, iloveferrari and footUNDER like this.
  20. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Gotta love it on an online forum when people, instead of posting their personal/subjective opinion to contribute to discussion, decide to make blanket statements of what they think are objective fact (which in reality is nothing but insecure subjective opinion trying to be projected on others). Especially as they relate to the stereotypical value/depreciation bit which removes these cars further away from enthusiast type discussions and one that repeatedly beat a dead horse

Let me be clear for you then, I have 0 interest in an F8 Tributo facelift. I have no idea what this car is, or why it exists for any reason other than a stop gap measure so that BB and LB can radically move the mid engined Ferrari forward in price and performance while Ferrari can lazily throw the rehashed 488 ala F8 at pundits bringing up the 720 HP figure/Mac 720s/lap time stuff. IMO Ferrari should have let the 488 be the swan song for the "affordable" mid engine V8 line with the Pista as the special version, as it marked a return to the mid engine turbo for the first time since the legendary F40 and this would have been a good bridge to the mid engine BB and LB with their turbo + hybrid stuff in my opinion

Since you brought it up, I find the F8 fugly. To me it looks like Ferrari ended up with a 488 Pista mixed with a Lotus Evora/2016 NSX, mashed with a Huracan Evo/Aventador S front, untouched 488 GTB style side profile (making the F8 feel like a kit car), and blended with an 812 Portofino and J50 in my opinion. The exterior facelift is a futuristic attempt that I don't know works well with the stunningly gorgeous & foundational 458 Pininfarina design (don't mess with perfection) versus an entirely new slate/new design. The interior with the round vents and awkward Ferrari badging next to the central vent is the only noticeable difference and one that does not speak to me. Prefer the older steering wheel with the less black plastic stuff around it.

It's further away from Pininfarina's design language which I personally don't like for the aggressive/aero/sport model designs. New Monza and maybe some of the future GT stuff, sure tell me where to sign.

I guess people who specced and bought a late MY 458 must have been complete idiots to do so with the 488 around the corner (I am envious of them). Or a F12 TDF with the 812 around the corner. Or a 991.2 Porsche GT car, or any 991.2 for that matter, with the absolutely fugly 992 around the corner. And the point there is not that this is fact, but it is subjective. It is not an objective fact that the replacement is going to be better hand over fist in every way or any way for that matter, as many of these changes are necessitated by external/regulatory forces and those are the last things I want dictating a car's design as inevitable as it is

Newer does not always mean objectively better, even for performance or value/depreciation (neither of which are highest of priorities for me). And if you think this is my angle because I might be losing money in my brand new 488 as the F8 is coming, I already expected and came prepared to lose money so I can just drive and enjoy my car. Otherwise I would be a fool to be buying cars at this level

I sure hope the F8 is great for Ferrari and their owners but I have 0 desire to be one, and just thrilled I am getting a 488 GTB. Love the design and everything about the car, even if you don't, and the opposite goes for the F8. I would have been bummed if I passed up my 488 allocation to wait for the facelift (that I already knew was coming), and I let that allocation go to try and get what ultimately became the F8

Just my 2 cents and can only speak for myself

Viperjoe, ZA3879, JohnTz and 10 others like this.
  21. W. MITTY

W. MITTY Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2005
    Just for clarification; It was my understanding that the chassis of the F8 was fundamentally a 488/458. Was I mistaken about this?

22. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    same. confused

23. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
  24. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Wow wasnt expecting to trigger such emotion. Apology for striking a few nerves here.

As a 488 owner who took delivery late 17 i can honestly say i was dissapointed to find a significantly revised car dropped into the mix this early. Doesnt mean i arent super happy with my 488 but id be a fool to think it isnt going to affect the used values. In fact dare i say its because of the impending release so many are now sitting unsold. Ive a Pista due June and now have to contemplate the likelyhood of taking much less than what id first anticipated. So yeah im bummed. And, id be super bummed if i was locked into taking a 488 delivery now.

25. Gated

Gated Formula 3

Dec 21, 2009
    Ferrari is happy to take big liberties with "new chassis". Retuned bushings, springs and dampers...is that a new chassis? Are new electronic programs and controls a new chassis? I'd bet anything that the vast majority of the hard bits are the same (it's obviously the same shell / monocoque). All that said, if the car has a different driving feel then maybe it is fair to say it's a new chassis. Time will tell...